Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Navionics+ Cards in eS series MFD
04-18-17, 12:20 PM
Multiple Navionics+ Cards in eS series MFD
Inserting more than one Navionics+ chart card in either of 2 eS series MFDs does not provide additional available chart data. After many iterations of 3 Navionics + charts being moved between the 4 card slots available between the networked displays the result is the same only the charts from one card are available and the only place the additional cards show up are under My Data. I have attached some screen shots all taken with three cards inserted, along with some diagnostic information.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-17, 10:30 AM
RE: Multiple Navionics+ Cards in eS series MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Larry,

Please additionally provide the titles and product ID printed on the labels of each Navionics+ chart card's SD to MicroSD adapter sleeve.
04-19-17, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-17 04:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The titles and SNs of the cards are:
Navionics+ Pacific Islands
MSD/Nav+34XG/ROW
US11ZSN1L1GSS

Navionics+ Australia & New Zealand
MSD/PLN50XG/ROW
USBGSZN1LMBGZU

Navionics Updates* Caribbean & S America
MSD/NAVU3XG
US1BSZDNJ71177
(I owned a CF Card for this region so did an update to transfer it to Micro SD)
04-19-17, 04:35 PM
Larry,

I'll add the additional data to the problem report. I was unaware that Navionics supported the data transfer to a different media card. Was this action done under the direction and approval of Navionics?
04-19-17, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-17 08:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Yes is the short answer. I purchased the update card from Blue Water Books at the same time I purchased the new Micro SD cards. Navionics has an online process where you first insert the CF card in a card reader which Navionics can then recognize, then as I recall the process at the same time I inserted the Micro SD card and proceeded to do a Freshest Data update. As I recall it the price of the update card was about $125, which seems to be something like a 1 year subscription for Freshest Data plus the cost of the card and USB card reader. I believe there was some time frame like a year or so after which I would not have been able to do the update.
04-20-17, 08:20 AM
Larry,

Thanks for the requested information. For the benefit of those who may be viewing this thread, the Navionics file encryption schema will prevent MFD and PC navigational applications from displaying Navionics cartography from a memory card other than a Navionics cartography memory card obtained from a Navionics dealer. While it is technically possible to copy files from a Navionics chart card to a standard memory card, Navionics file encryption will prevent the MFD from being able to view cartography from the standard memory card. In this case, the customer purchased a Navionics Update Card which was then populated with cartography downloaded from the Navionics website.
04-24-17, 11:23 AM
Navionics advised me they were aware of the issue and provided a workaround which requires changing the name of a particular file with the file extension of .ck
I made the suggested changes and I can now read the detailed charts when one card is inserted in each slot. When I insert a card in the 2nd MFD it does not show the detailed chart boundaries for the third card in the system. Both chart plotters seem to be working as expected with the two cards loaded in the one plotter.
Navionics Tech Support indicated they were working on a solution to the issue which did not involve the workaround of changing a couple of file names. They were under the impression that Raymarine was also working on the issue.
Thanks for your assistance in this and I will stay abreast of any notifications that a permanent solution has been found.
04-25-17, 08:10 AM
Larry,

Thanks for the additional information.