Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E80 System Upgrade
04-27-17, 02:22 PM
RE: E80 System Upgrade
wavedweller,

There is no harm associated with interfacing more than one MFD to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, as only the Data Master MFD will interact with the backbone. Some, including myself, will choose to interface more than one MFD to the backbone to provide a level of redundancy within the system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-17, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-17 02:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks again Chuck!

I like your redundancy comment so I'll connect it.
04-27-17, 02:31 PM
You're welcome.
04-29-17, 06:02 PM
Hi Chuck

I've planned out the connections and cabling for my upgrade to Axiom on my 40' Albin trawler. All the equipment has been ordered, i only need to finalize the cabling order.

I've attached a drawing of my connection/cabling plan along with a list of all components that are numbered on the plan.

I'm lost on how to connect the HS5 to the SeaTalkng Backbone (number 38 on my drawing). I don't find a cable on your website that works. I also don't know how to power the HS5 without a conflict from the powered SeaTalkng Backbone, yet the HS5 instructions warn to not power the HS5 from the SeaTalkng Backbone. Your expert guidance is need here.

I would REALLY appreciate your review of my plan for errors that I'm sure are there. You've been a huge help all along!
05-01-17, 02:38 PM
wavedweller,

Q: I'm lost on how to connect the HS5 to the SeaTalkng Backbone (number 38 on my drawing). I don't find a cable on your website that works. I also don't know how to power the HS5 without a conflict from the powered SeaTalkng Backbone, yet the HS5 instructions warn to not power the HS5 from the SeaTalkng Backbone. Your expert guidance is need here.
A2: Your diagram looks good with the exception of the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The switch is not to be connected to the SeaTalkng backbone. It need only be connected to a 12 or 24VDC switched power circuit and to the Ethernet network sockets of the devices which you have shown within your diagram.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing recommendations for marine electronics power circuits.
05-01-17, 02:59 PM
Thank you Chuck! I couldn't have done any of this without your help!
05-01-17, 03:06 PM
You're welcome.