Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLIR AX8 Field of View
08-08-16, 10:09 PM
FLIR AX8 Field of View
I am considering installation of the AX8 in my engine room and trying to determine how many I would need to get a full picture. What is the field of view at, say, 6 feet?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-16, 03:51 PM
RE: FLIR AX8 Field of View
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Joe,

Per the Specification tab of the AX8's web page, the camera's field of via is 48° x 37°.
08-19-16, 05:28 PM
Thanks, but I am not sure how to interpret this. Field of view specs for binoculars usually state something to the effect of 450' at 1000 yards, for example. Can you provide the field of view of the AX8 in feet at, say, 6 feet? This way I can tell how much of the engine room I will be able to see with an AX8.
08-22-16, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-16 08:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Joe,

Unlike binoculars, spotting scopes, deck cameras, and other devices intended to view objects at long distances, the AX8 is designed to view objects at relatively short distances. A little trigonometry may be used to determine the vertical and horizontal dimensions within view at any distances from the camera. As indicated within the prior response, the field of view is 48° x 37°. the following formulas may be used to determine the horizontal and vertical views at any distance:
- Image Width = 2 * ((tan (48 degrees / 2) * distance) = 2 * ((tan 24 degrees) * distance)
- Image Height = 2 * (tan (37 degrees / 2) * distance) = 2 * ((tan 18.5 degrees) * distance)

ex. Provide image dimensions at 6 ft: Image Width = 2 * ((tan 24) * 6 ft) = 5.3 ft; Image Height = 2 * ((tan 18.5) * 6 ft) = 4.0 ft.
08-22-16, 08:42 AM
Chuck,

Thanks, this is what I needed. And thanks for solving the example; it has been a long time since high school trigonometry.

Joe
08-22-16, 08:49 AM
Joe,

You're welcome.