RL80C upgrade to axiom
04-30-17, 04:25 PM
RL80C upgrade to axiom
I have a 2001 38' Tiara with all original electronics as follows:
Raytheon RL80c with open array
Raytheon Fishfinder L760
Raytheon Raypilot RP650
Raytheon Ray 220 VHF

all electronics were new and installed in spring of 2001.

The RL80c died. As a result, I need to replace both it and the radar (I have read that the radar is analog and not compatible with any new MFDs.)
I would like to purchase the new axiom 12 inch display this year, and perhaps upgrade the l760 to an axiom 9 inch next year. My first question relates to the RP650 autopilot. How will replacing the RL80c impact the autopilot? is it possible to control the autopilot with the new axiom? If not, what upgrades would I need to the autopilot in order to have it work with the axiom? I believe i can continue to use the autopilot with my L760 for now but want to confirm. Is the axiom the right upgrade for me to replace the RL80c?

If I also upgrade the L760 to an axiom 9, will my current transducer work with the axiom 9 or will i need a new one? I am not interested in the 3d as I don't fish. Do I need the axiom with sonar in order to utilize my transducer for depth readings?

can I pull up depth on the axiom 12 if only the axiom 9 has sonar option? can I pull up radar on either screen? if I add the thermal sonar, can that go to either screen as well?

In addition, I am not sure what radar I should get. I rarely use radar but when you need it, you need it. I don't need the range of the open array and am price driven. interested in the smaller units. Thanks for your help. I need to make a decision soon as boat goes in water in next 30 days.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-17, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-17 01:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: RL80C upgrade to axiom
Welcome to the Rayamrine Forum Joe,

Q1. My first question relates to the RP650 autopilot. How will replacing the RL80c impact the autopilot? is it possible to control the autopilot with the new axiom? If not, what upgrades would I need to the autopilot in order to have it work with the axiom? I believe i can continue to use the autopilot with my L760 for now but want to confirm. Is the axiom the right upgrade for me to replace the RL80c?
A1. In order to address this question, it will be necessary to have you identify the model of autopilot course computer which has been installed onboard. Please respond with this information.

Q2. If I also upgrade the L760 to an axiom 9, will my current transducer work with the axiom 9 or will i need a new one? I am not interested in the 3d as I don't fish. Do I need the axiom with sonar in order to utilize my transducer for depth readings?
A2. Yes. Transducers designed for use with the L760 may be adapted for use with Axiom DV and Axiom RV MFDs. As you have suggested, this would permit the Axiom MFDs to support 600W 50/200kHz fishfinder features using the transducer which had been mated to the Transducer socket of the L760.

Q3. Dan I pull up depth on the axiom 12 if only the axiom 9 has sonar option?
A3. Like Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, Axiom MFDs are designed to share all system resources with other compatible MFDs. Accordingly, only one of the Axiom MFDs need have internal fishfinder circuitry, yet both MFDs will support fishfinder features.

Q4. Can I pull up radar on either screen?
A4. Yes. See the response to Q3.

Q5. If I add the thermal sonar, can that go to either screen as well?
A5. Assuming that you had actually been referring to a FLIR 100/200 Series Thermal Camera, then then control of and video from the thermal camera would be available to both Axiom MFDs.

Q6. In addition, I am not sure what radar I should get. I rarely use radar but when you need it, you need it. I don't need the range of the open array and am price driven. interested in the smaller units.
A6. Given how the radar will be used, you may want to consider a Quantum Radome. A HD Radome would be recommended were fishing, dual range, or 48 RPM capabilities to be a radar requirement.
05-03-17, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-17 02:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thank you for the answers help! See below for follow up.

Q1. Raytheon Type 100

Q2. Do I need a special adapter to connect the old transducer to the axiom?

Q3. Also, regarding the Axiom, am I able to plug in an external gps antenna? I have a hard top and would like to use my existing one if possible.

Q4. What kind of mounting bracket do I need for the radar? Is there anything else I need to order? I just want to be sure I buy everything I need for the installer.

Thanks!
05-03-17, 03:20 PM
Joe,

Q1. Raytheon Type 100
A1. It is not recommended that Type 100 autopilot course computers be used with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. This leaves the autopilot's NMEA 0183 communications interface as that through which the MFD will communicate. As Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device will need to be installed between the new system's SeaTalkng backbone and the NMEA 0183 input port or the autopilot's course computer. The MFD's Autopilot Controls feature is not supported for autopilots which have been interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications protocol to the Raymarine system. However, this interface will support supplying the autopilot with navigational data to support use of the autopilot's Track mode feature. Track mode need simply be engaged via the autopilot's control head.

Q2. Do I need a special adapter to connect the old transducer to the axiom?
A2. Yes. An A80489 Adapter Cable would be used to adapt the L760's transducer alone to an Axiom RV MFD. An A80492 Adapter Y-Cable would be used to adapt the L760's transducer along with a RealVision Transducer to an Axiom RV MFD.

Q3. Also, regarding the Axiom, am I able to plug in an external gps antenna? I have a hard top and would like to use my existing one if possible.
A3. Please respond with the make and model of GPS sensor which is presently installed onboard.

Q4. What kind of mounting bracket do I need for the radar? Is there anything else I need to order? I just want to be sure I buy everything I need for the installer.
A4. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
05-08-17, 08:49 AM
Thank you for the answers. I appreciate it. One more clarification needed:

A3. Please respond with the make and model of GPS sensor which is presently installed onboard.

The GPS antenna on the boat is a raymarine external antenna purchased new and installed about 5 years ago. The marina could not determine the model without taking apart the top, so I elected to hold off. However, I would like any clarification you can provide. Specifically, does the axiom support both an internal antenna and an external antenna? Do I need an external antenna if the axiom is under a hard top? Do you think a 5 year old raymarine will connect to the axiom? Obviously, if I don't need it, problem solved.
Thank you!
05-08-17, 09:19 AM
Joe,

Q. The GPS antenna on the boat is a raymarine external antenna purchased new and installed about 5 years ago. The marina could not determine the model without taking apart the top, so I elected to hold off. However, I would like any clarification you can provide. Specifically, does the axiom support both an internal antenna and an external antenna? Do I need an external antenna if the axiom is under a hard top? Do you think a 5 year old raymarine will connect to the axiom? Obviously, if I don't need it, problem solved.
A. During the period which you have identified, both the Raystar 125 and its successor, the Raystar 130, were offered. The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor may be adapted for use with Axiom MFDs. Like the Axiom MFDs, the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor featured a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, permitting each of these products to be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. Regarding whether an external GPS receiver will be required, please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
05-08-17, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-17 09:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Joe,

Q1. So assuming I need the external antenna, and want to use my existing one, can i plug the antenna directly into the Axiom?
A1. Negative. Like all devices which are designed to communicate via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications, the Data Master MFD and each additional device having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications must be interfaced as a spur to a spur socket within powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone

Q2. If not, what do I need to purchase in order to have a SeaTalking backbone?
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
05-08-17, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-17 10:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So assuming I need the external antenna, and want to use my existing one, can i plug the antenna directly into the Axiom? If not, what do I need to purchase in order to have a SeaTalking backbone?
05-09-17, 09:38 AM
Chuck,
I am considering replacing autopilot as well. 38' tiara. 27k lbs. Inboards. Hydrolic steering. Non-ips. what size evolution do I need? Can I using existing drive unit from current autopilot (raymarine from 2001)?
05-09-17, 09:55 AM
Joe,

Q1. 38' tiara. 27k lbs. Inboards. Hydrolic steering. Non-ips. what size evolution do I need?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. If supplied with the information specified within the FAQ concerning the vessel's steering ram(s), then an Evolution autopilot may be specified.

Q2. Can I using existing drive unit from current autopilot (raymarine from 2001)?
A2. Should the autopilot hydraulic pump be of the correct size for the vessel's steering ram, then it may instead be used with the corresponding Evolution Autopilot ACU.