Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navionics cartography difficulties
05-08-17, 11:29 AM
Navionics cartography difficulties
I seem to be having trouble with possible corruption of the navionics cartography in my network. When I insert the card with my cartography into the master plotter it becomes unresponsive for some period of time and the other mfds on the network reset themselves. I had a raymarine tech on the boat looking at some problems I'm having and he suggested I post here to see if there are suggestions about the cartography and ways of dealing with potential corruption.

Thanks
Ben
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-17, 02:11 PM
RE: Navionics cartography difficulties
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ben,

It is recommended that the all MFDs within the system be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates and that the system be tested after doing so. Should the problem persist after having performed the MFD software updates, then it is recommended that all MFDs except for the Data Master MFD be switched OFF and that the chart card be inserted into the Data Master MFD's memory card reader. Should the MFD's chart screen not refresh within approximately ten seconds and show detailed cartography, then it is possible that there may be an issue with the chart card or with MFD's memory card reader. Furthermore, should panning or range changes cause the Chart application / MFD to restart, then it would be recommended that the Navionics chart card be similarly tested within the reader of one of the other MFDs. Should the problem not be duplicated with the chart card inserted within the reader of the other MFDs, then it would appear that the memory card reader of the Data Master MFD is in need of servicing by Raymarine's Product Repair Center.

However should the problem be duplicated within the other MFDs within the system, then it would be recommended that the Navionics chart card be updated with Navionics Freshest Data Updates to correct the problem. Should the problem persist after updating the Navionics chart card with Navionics Freshest Data Updates, then it would be recommended that the system be tested with another Navionics chart card. Should the problem not be duplicated with another Navionics chart card, then it would be recommended that the problematic Navionics Chart Card be replaced.

Should the problem not be addressed by the above and only occur when the MFDs are all switched ON and displaying chart data, then there would appear to be a problem with the system's Ethernet network. From an installation standpoint, the following issues must be addressed when troubleshooting a Ethernet communications problems within an Ethernet network used to interface Raymarine products:
- Raymarine products having an Ethernet communications interfaces must be interfaced via Raymarine Ethernet Cables terminated with RayNet, SeaTalkHS, or RJ45 plugs (plug to be of the opposite gender of the product's Ethernet interface).
- Raymarine Ethernet Cables, NOT generic Cat5e or custom constructed Cat5e, must be used to interface Raymarine products having Ethernet communications interfaces.
- With the exception of connections to a SeaTalkhs Network Switch, SR6, SeaTalkhs Crossover Coupler, or Ethernet Coupler, the plugs of all Ethernet Cables must feature a RayNet (F) plug or SeaTalkhs (M) plug with locking ring to secure the cable within the device's Ethernet Network socket, ensure proper contact between the plug's contacts and those within the socket, and to protect the socket from corrosion from exposure to the marine environment.
- Excess Ethernet cable must be loosely coiled and secured to a bulkhead to prevent bend radius of less than 6"
- Raymarine Ethernet Cables must not be modified.
- The marine electronics must be powered from an isolated power source
- The circuit powering the Raymarine products has been constructed of marine grade cable of the appropriate gauge for the round trip distance between the Raymarine products and the power source.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply