Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interfacing an RL70crc plus to AC400
05-15-17, 08:55 PM
Interfacing an RL70crc plus to AC400
Hello,

I would like to upgrade my old S1G/ST6002 autopilot to the new AC400 Evolution corepack and p70 control head. My existing Pathfinder radar and RL70crc plus works just fine and I have no desire to upgrade those components. Can the AC 400 receive waypoints from the RL70 assuming I install the SeaTalk/SeatalkNG converter? Also, my Pathfinder recieves NEMA 0183 5hz heading data from the S1G for MARPA, is equivalent functionality available from the AC400? If so, how do I interface that?

Regards,
John C.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-17, 02:48 PM
RE: Interfacing an RL70crc plus to AC400
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

For the benefit of others: while no waypoint ever produced by Raymarine was designed to receive waypoints, its autopilots are designed to receive navigational data from a chartplotting product to utilize the autopilot's Track mode feature. Transmission of such navigational data by the chartplotting product is initiated by commanding the chartplotting product to Go To Waypoint / Cursor or to Follow Route. This remains true of Raymarine's Evolution autopilots. Installation of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit (updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update to the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone which will be used to network the Evolution autopilot component to one another will in turn permit the autopilot to communicate with your current system. The currently installed SeaTalk bus which the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be interfaced to will need to be disconnected from its present source of power, as power will be provided to the SeaTalk bus by the SeaTalkng backbone (via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter).
05-17-17, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-17 08:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the reply. The second part of my question hasn't been answered. How do I get high speed heading data to my Pathfinder? Also, how do I determine the sw rev. of the converter? I currently have the converter installed in order to interface a new Raymarine GPS (purchased within the last 2 years) as a replacement for the original which failed.

Regards,
John
05-17-17, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-17 07:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
John,

Q1. How do I get high speed heading data to my Pathfinder?
A1. While the Evolution autopilot provide 10Hz heading updates to the SeaTalkng backbone at 10Hz, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng will only provide heading updates to the SeaTalk bus at 1Hz. Accordingly and as the Evolution autopilots do not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, should it be desired to use the display's MARPA radar feature and/or maximize performance of the system's heading dependent features, then it would be necessary to install a programmable SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. The NMEA 0183 output lead / terminals of this data bridging device would then be interfaced to one of the sets of NMEA 0183 input leads found of the Pathfinder Series display's Power/NMEA 0183 Input Cable. The SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device would then need to be programmed to only transmit RSA (rudder angle) and HDG, HDM, and HDT (heading) NMEA 0183 sentences.

Q2. How do I determine the sw rev. of the converter? I currently have the converter installed in order to interface a new Raymarine GPS (purchased within the last 2 years) as a replacement for the original which failed.
A2. Unlike Raymarine's current generation of MFDs, the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays did not support polling for the software versions within SeaTalkng devices. However, the Evolution autopilots do feature support for determining the software levels of devices which have been interface to the SeaTalkng backbone.
The command sequence MENU–>SET-UP–>DIAGNOSTICS–>ABOUT SYSTEM may be used to display a list of device which have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. Select to view additional data for any one of the listed devices will in turn list its software level. Alternatively, you may find that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has a label affixed to its side which would face the mounting surface. Otherwise, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's software may be determined / updated by a Certified Raymarine Installer, many Raymarine dealers (recommend calling first), and Raymarine’s Product Repair Center.
06-21-17, 01:35 PM
Chuck,

An additional question on this same subject. I just installed an EV1/ACU400/p70s along with a new RS150 and used a ST1 to STng convertor for my legacy instruments. I have an RC70c plus radar and chart plotter. My problem - I am unable to get navigation data (Track - Go to Waypoint) from the RC70 to the autopilot/p70s control head. Any idea of where I should be looking for issues? The software version on the p70s is 3.07 and on the Evolution it's 2.17. If it's software, How do I get this installed given the older MFD? Thanks.
06-21-17, 03:17 PM
scsullivan,

For systems lacking a Raymarine MFD having a SeaTalkng communications interface, please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the software of the system's Raymarine products having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface may be updated or downgraded.