Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine temperature
05-21-17, 04:40 PM
Engine temperature
My es78 reports my engine temperatures as being well above the Thermostat opening temperature. The thermostats are fully open at around 155° (measured with an accurate infrared thermometer at the Thermostat housing) while the mfd reads 215°. At those temperatures I would expect the engine alarm to be blaring. The water coming from the telltale is warm, not at all hot.
Is there a way to calibrate it to get reliable info? I am now questioning the accuracy of the other engine data (rpm, fuel flow, hours, etc.) I got this unit to take the place of all the guages due to limited dash space and need to be able to rely on it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-17, 03:57 PM
RE: Engine temperature
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mustang,

Raymarine MFDs are designed to simply repeat engine data received from the engine system. Raymarine MFDs are not designed to support calibration of engine data. While engine systems for which NMEA 2000 engine gateways transmit calibrated data to a NMEA 2000 backbone, analog to NMEA 2000 engine monitoring device require calibration to properly report engine data. Such calibration will typically be performed via a PC which has been interfaced to the analog to NMEA 2000 engine monitoring device. Should a NMEA 2000 engine gateway have been installed or should a properly calibrated analog to NMEA 2000 engine monitoring device have been installed and should the reported symptom occur, then it is recommended that troubleshooting begin by interfacing a NMEA 2000 analyzer (ex. Actisense NGT-1 with NMEA Reader software, etc.) as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Should the engine temperature value (or any other supported engine data value) reported by the MFD not match that reported by the NMEA 2000 analyzer, then please respond accordingly. At such time, it would be recommended that the following be provided:
- make/model of NMEA 2000 analyzer used ... provide value specified by both the MFD and the analyzer
- system diagram (photo of a hand rendered diagram will suffice)
- make/manufacturer and model year of the vessel's engine
- make/manufacturer and model of the NMEA 2000 gateway or analog to NMEA 2000 engine monitoring device.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply