Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raymarine Smart Pilot S3G
05-26-17, 11:53 AM
Raymarine Smart Pilot S3G
I have a Raymarine S3G autopilot on my 50 foot pwer boat.
I have been informed that the computer is faulty and advised to replace it for a Raymarine Evolution series computer and core pack cost about 1,200 usd without additional control head.

I have been told that I do not need to change the existing steering pump ?
I have been told it will integrate with the C120 chart plotter.

The main problem is that I cannot take any new wiring to the fly bridge where there is the existing ST 1002 Control head and C 120 chart plotter second screen.

My questions are.
Can anyone confirm that the existering steering pump etc will work with the evolution computer.?
Can I use the existing wiring to the control head on the flybridge if I use an adapter.?
Can someone kindly talk me through this.
Thanks in anticipation.
Stephen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-17, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-17 12:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Raymarine Smart Pilot S3G
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Stephen,

General comment: It will not only be necessary to add an ACU-400, but it will also be necessary to add an Evolution EV-1 Sensor Core and an Evolution Autopilot Control Head to the system. These have been bundled into the package T70162 EV-400 Power (includes ACU-400, p70RS, EV-1 Sensor Core, and the SeaTalkng networking components to interface these items to one another. An E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be used to interface the currently installed SeaTalk bus to the SeaTalkng network. It is the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's function to permit the C-Series Classic MFD(s) and other compatible devices having a SeaTalk communications interface to communicate with devices on the SeaTalkng backbone (ex. an Evolution autopilot, etc.). The SeaTalk bus will need to be disconnected from its present source of power, as it will instead be powered by the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q1. Can anyone confirm that the existering steering pump etc will work with the evolution computer.?
A1. Raymarine autopilot actuators (drive units) designed for use with Raymarine autopilots may be retained for use with an Evolution autopilot system.

Q2. Can I use the existing wiring to the control head on the flybridge if I use an adapter.?
A2. The p70RS Autopilot Control Head should be installed in place of the autopilot control head located at the lower helm station. An Evolution Autopilot Control Head must be present within the system unless the system includes an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD. However, the ST6002 Autopilot Control Head on the flybridge may be retained for use on the flybridge. Please see the opening comment regarding the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Should you need onboard assistance with the installation, then it is recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer be contacted.
05-29-17, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-17 09:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Stephen,

Hello Chuck,
Thank you for your reply.
Can you give me the details of the Raymarine installer that you would most recommend to do this work.
The boat is based in Jupiter Florida FL 33458
Thanks once again for your advice.
Stephen.

One final point : is this a better way to go than bying a second hand S3G on e bay ?
05-30-17, 09:48 AM
Stephen,

Any of the following Certified Raymarine Installers within the Jupiter, FL area would be recommended:

MARTEK OF PALM BEACH
1468-A SKEES ROAD
WEST PALM BEACH, FL 33411
info@martekpb.com
Phone:561-626-0333

HINCKLEY YACHT SERVICES
4550 SE BOATYARD AVENUE
STUART, FL 34997
Phone:772-287-2248

CORAL REEF ELECTRONICS
2532 S EAST CLAYTON
STUART, FL 34997
Phone:772-283-3340

PALACO ENTERPRISES, LLC
3029 SW CORNELL AVENUE
PALM CITY, FL 34990
Phone:770-331-2915

LAMPLIGHTER MARINE INC
837 SOUTH KINGS HIGHWAY
FORT PIERCE, FL 34945
Phone:772-595-5910

As the performance of the Evolution autopilots is significantly better than that the S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G Smart Autopilot Course Computers (I have had both autopilots onboard my own boat), coupled with the fact that the S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G Smart Autopilot Course Computers were retired several years ago and can no longer be serviced, and that support for the S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G Smart Autopilot Course Computers within future Raymarine product designs may be limited, prudence should be exercised when considering investment in a second hand replacement component.
06-20-17, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-17 01:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck,
Further to your last e mail.
I contacted Martek and spoke to a guy called David Gratton and asked them to give me a quotation to supply and install on two occassions but they never replied to me.

Going back to the install thank you for confirming that I need the T70162 EV -400
Also the Sea Talk convertor kit E22158.

My final question is:
What do I need to hook the EV-400 to the Raymarine C120 Classic chart plotter.
I think the existing S3G has an NMEA 2000 connection to the C120 Chart Plotter.?

I assume the 2 existing Sea Talk cables are ones that go to both existing control heads ST1002
One of these will be replaced with a new p70RS.
As I mentioned I would like to keep the existing ST1002 head on the fly bridge as I cannot run new cables so I need the convertor kit E22158 for this.

However what about the NMEA connection to the C120 Chart Plotter.?
There is two leads coming out of the NMEA 1 block on the S3G A WHITE + WIRE AND A bROWN -VE i ASSUME THIS IS GOING TO THE c12 ?
Do I need a R08004 connector for this.

I have tried to upload some photos but owing to the size restriction it was immpossible.

Thanks a million,
Stephen.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  S3G.pdf (Size: 709.89 KB / Downloads: 337)
06-20-17, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-17 01:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Stephen,

Unfortunately, the photo of the S3G's terminal strip does not tell me much. The currently installed rudder reference transducer will be retained for use with the ACU-400. The Evolution autopilot components (EV-1 Sensor Core, ACU-400, p70S) have a SeaTalkng communications ports which would enable them each to be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. The Evolution autopilot packages typically include SeaTalkng networking components to create a SeaTalkng backbone having four spur sockets. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which has been updated with the latest ST-STng Converter software will need to be added to the backbone to accommodate interfacing the unpowered SeaTalk bus which will includes the MFD and older autopilot control head to the SeaTalkng backbone. As the SeaTalk port of C-Series Classic MFDs is designed to output power to a small SeaTalk bus, the red lead of the SeaTalk cable connecting the MFD to the SeaTalk bus will need to be severed and insulated to prevent shorting.