Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E120 MFD
05-31-17, 01:07 PM
E120 MFD
My E120 display was very dim while out on the water on Sunday. I checked to ensure that the day palette was selected and the back light was adjusted all the way up, however, the display was very dim and difficult to see even on an overcast day.

My motors were running and my batteries were fully charged and showing 14.3 volts.

When I got back to the dock and hooked up my shore power, the display was bright again and seemed fine. Any thoughts on how I can trouble shoot this before sending it in for a bench test?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-17, 01:19 PM
RE: E120 MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum tjdill47,

Should the batteries have been fully charged when the problem had first been observed then the symptoms reported would indicate that the MFD's backlighting circuitry is in the initial stages of failure. Accordingly, it is recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
06-08-17, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-17 10:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck,

Is there a series of tests/diagnostics that I can do on the boat this Sunday to determine if it is something else before I pull the unit and send it in?
06-08-17, 10:04 AM
tjdill47,

Unfortunately, there are no diagnostics which may be performed via the MFD. Inspection of power and ground connections must be performed manually. It is also recommended that the MFD's power cable plug be tested by grasping it approximately eight inches from the plug and wiggling it about to determine whether it causes the MFD to exhibit the reported symptom.