Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Axiom Network Anomaly
05-31-17, 09:34 PM
New Axiom Network Anomaly
After installing my new Axiom network and having all the data functions operating correctly, I have experienced a couple of issues. I have taken my boat out twice since I completed the set up. On both occasions this is what I experienced. The Axiom data master has not had any issues at all and I have used it generally to display the Navionics+ charts and Road app. On the other non-data master Axiom I have been displaying the radar in various configurations. The anomaly is, intermittently on only the non-data master Axiom, while the radar is displayed, the power/brightness swipe button becomes unresponsive to my touch and I need to swipe it 5 or more times to get it to respond. If the radar is off on this unit it doesn't appear to have this issue and one light swipe will get the power/brightness window to appear. Keep in mind, the power/brightness swipe will work fine most of the time when the radar is displayed it is just a random and intermittent issue. The other issue with the non-data master unit which may or may not be related to the first one is, the power/brightness popup window will intermittently appear for about two or three seconds and then disappear without me touching the unit. It happens randomly. A few days ago when I took my boat out for a cruise for about 1/2 hour, it happened about three times. Today, on a cruise that lasted about the same amount of time, the pop-up happened about 5 times. On today's cruise, after the popup happened about 3 times in fairly quick secession, I attempted to access the power/brightness window to restart the unit to see if that would stop the issue, I needed to swipe the power touch button about 5 times before the power/brightness window appeared. When it finally appeared, I powered off the unit and restarted it. For a while I thought it fixed the issue but then about 20 minutes later the power/brightness window appeared/disappeared once again. The data master unit has not had either of these issues and always shows the power/brightness popup window with one light swipe. Both units are running Software Version: v3.0.60. All the other components in my network have preformed flawlessly so far. I have attached a diagram to show my components and how they are networked. Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-17, 12:00 PM
RE: New Axiom Network Anomaly
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tamrow,

Q1. After installing my new Axiom network and having all the data functions operating correctly, I have experienced a couple of issues. I have taken my boat out twice since I completed the set up. On both occasions this is what I experienced. The Axiom data master has not had any issues at all and I have used it generally to display the Navionics+ charts and Road app. On the other non-data master Axiom I have been displaying the radar in various configurations. The anomaly is, intermittently on only the non-data master Axiom, while the radar is displayed, the power/brightness swipe button becomes unresponsive to my touch and I need to swipe it 5 or more times to get it to respond. If the radar is off on this unit it doesn't appear to have this issue and one light swipe will get the power/brightness window to appear. Keep in mind, the power/brightness swipe will work fine most of the time when the radar is displayed it is just a random and intermittent issue.
A1. As you have suggested, the Power Menu of the Axiom MFDs is designed to respond to a very light swipe of the POWER button. In practice it seems to be less responsive to hard presses. At this time, we have been unable to duplicate the reported problem when running the radar application on a non-Data Master MFD within a pair of Axiom MFD's which have been updated with v3.0.66 software. It is recommended that the Axiom MFDs each be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update. Should the problem persist thereafter, then it would be recommended that the problematic Axiom MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced when it is convenient to do so.

Q2. The other issue with the non-data master unit which may or may not be related to the first one is, the power/brightness popup window will intermittently appear for about two or three seconds and then disappear without me touching the unit. It happens randomly. A few days ago when I took my boat out for a cruise for about 1/2 hour, it happened about three times. Today, on a cruise that lasted about the same amount of time, the pop-up happened about 5 times. On today's cruise, after the popup happened about 3 times in fairly quick secession, I attempted to access the power/brightness window to restart the unit to see if that would stop the issue, I needed to swipe the power touch button about 5 times before the power/brightness window appeared. When it finally appeared, I powered off the unit and restarted it. For a while I thought it fixed the issue but then about 20 minutes later the power/brightness window appeared/disappeared once again. The data master unit has not had either of these issues and always shows the power/brightness popup window with one light swipe. Both units are running Software Version: v3.0.60. All the other components in my network have preformed flawlessly so far. I have attached a diagram to show my components and how they are networked.
A2. Should the above listed problem have occurred under conditions where the MFD's screen was being exposed to rain or spray, then it would be consider to be a feature of touch screen displays. Should MFDs having touch screen - only displays be operated under such conditions and the symptoms reported occur, then it would be recommended that a RMK-10 Remote Keypad be interfaced to the system, that the MFD's touch screen be locked and that the RMK-10 be used to control the MFD when operating under such conditions. Should the reported symptoms have occurred when the MFD was not being exposed to rain or spray, then the recommendations within the response to Q1 should be followed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply