Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HS5 Problem or Not?
06-02-17, 06:14 PM
HS5 Problem or Not?
I have an E120 MFD with a DSM 300 linked via SeaTalk HS cable. I also have a back bone setup for my laptop connection and GPS to VHF via a E85001 box.

I am hooking into this system a SR150 Siris Weather module. I bought a HS5 network switch and several RayNet(F) to RJ45(M) cables(A80151).
I put the A80151 into the DSM then to the HS5. I have the HS5 connected to MFD with another A80151. I used a RayNet to RayNet cable connector from the Sirius module to the HS5. I have power indications to both the HS5 and Sirius
I have neither depth data nor communication with the Sirius.

The power indicator light on HS5 is a red and a LED (green) on the connection for the Sirius. No LED light on the DSM connection.
DSM’s status LED blinks green.

What am I missing to get my system functioning?

I swapped out the HS5 today per my communication to Raymarine Tech service.

Thanks John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-17, 10:19 AM
RE: HS5 Problem or Not?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

For maximum performance of the RayTech RNS 6.1 software, it is recommended that the PC running RayTech software be interfaced to the system a RayNet (F) to RJ45 Cable which has been interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The serial interface to the RayTech software will limit the program's features.

Within systems using Ethernet communications, only cables terminated with a SeaTalkhs (M) plug should be connected to the SeaTalkhs socket of a DSM or a MFD. Unlike the MFD designs which followed, E-Series Classic MFDs were not designed with autosensing Ethernet interfaces. As such, they cannot be interfaced directly to another compatible device having an Ethernet communications port via a single SeaTalkhs or Ethernet cable. Instead, the MFD may be interfaced to a DSM via one of the following methods:
- a cable assembly constructed from a pair of SeaTalkhs to RJ45 (M) Cables which have been joined with a SeaTalkhs Crossover Coupler, SeaTalkhs Network Switch, or SR6 Sirius Satellite Weather Receiver / Network Switch
- a pair of cable assemblies which have been constructed from an A80272 RayNet (M) to SeaTalkhs (M) Adapter and RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable which have been joined to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch

The SR150 would be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via a RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable as you have suggested.
06-05-17, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-17 10:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your rapid response. I will order 2- A80272 cables today, install and respond back with my successful install.

John

'92 4588 Bayliner
250 W06D TI
MMSI 367650430
Everett WA
06-05-17, 10:27 AM
You're welcome.
06-11-17, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-17 08:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Installed new A80276 cables and my system came alive. Now reading depth and GPS data. Call Sirius and subscribed to Marine Coastal package. Reading weather reports. Need to update software in E120 and DSM, frequent reboots.

Big shout to Lunde Marine Electronic in Ballard for their assistance.

Thanks for your help Chuck!

'92 4588 Bayliner
250 W06D TI
MMSI 367650430
Everett WA
06-12-17, 08:47 AM
knuckelbuster1,

You're welcome.