Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom ?'s
06-09-17, 08:13 PM
Axiom ?'s
Hello,

I am ready to upgrade my plotter, and am intrigued by the axiom series. Capabilities vs cost seem unmatchable. This line seems to be marketed heavily toward the recreational fisherman... is there any reason an Axiom MFD (thinking the 9) wouldn't be a smart choice on my Seafarer 37 sailboat?

A few questions, as the number of configurations available gets quite confusing... I don't think I really need any of the cutting edge downvision/realvision sonar features available, but my current Datamarine depth instrument will be in need of upgrade soon. If I later connect a more modern transducer to my MNEA 2000 network, would the E70366 (plotter only model) display depth? I couldn't find this addressed anywhere among all the descriptions of the more fancy sonar capabilities.

For what it's worth, it seems that retailers are a little confused by the different configurations also... Defender advertises the 70366 as supporting the " full range of Raymarine accessories including.... CHIRP sonar" not true, correct??

I would like to mount flush in a pod-like compartment and am trying to determine the depth required. In the Axiom Brochure, the specs page shows 6.97" from face to the back turn of the cable. The specs page in the installation manual has a rear mount diagram that is either in error or way out of scale. It does show face to back of cable as 7.01", which is virtually the same as the brochure, but it also lists C + D (face to back of bracket) as just 4.28", though the diagram shows the cable and bracket protruding roughly the same distance back. It looks like a right angle connector would give the minimum required clearance.... what would this measurement be exactly (unless the diagram is very out of scale, 6.22" doesn't seem possible), and what right angle connector would I use?

Thanks very much in advance for whatever light you can shed!

Dave E

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-17, 01:33 PM
RE: Axiom ?'s
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Q1. This line seems to be marketed heavily toward the recreational fisherman... is there any reason an Axiom MFD (thinking the 9) wouldn't be a smart choice on my Seafarer 37 sailboat?
A1. When making such decisions, I generally recommend that customers review the Axiom MFDs Advanced Operations Guide to view all features supported when making such decisions. As you have suggested, the initial release of LightHouse 3 software for Axiom MFDs has not included the Advanced Sailing and Theyr/GRIB weather features of LightHouse II software. However, these features and many more may find their way into future LightHouse 3 software updates for the Axiom MFDs as they did in LightHouse II software. However, should one immediately need these features, then it would be recommended that an a/c/eS/gS-Series MFD be purchased.

Q2. I don't think I really need any of the cutting edge downvision/realvision sonar features available, but my current Datamarine depth instrument will be in need of upgrade soon. If I later connect a more modern transducer to my MNEA 2000 network, would the E70366 (plotter only model) display depth?
A2. Yes. However, it is generally recommended that a Depth instrument (ex. i50 Depth/Tridata, i70, etc.) be installed, as it would then be possible apply a keel offset to have the reported depth reflect the depth beneath the keel rather than the depth beneath the transducer. Doing so would also then support configuration of depth based alarms. Such instruments may be interfaced to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone to which the MFD has also been interfaced as a spur.

Q3. For what it's worth, it seems that retailers are a little confused by the different configurations also... Defender advertises the 70366 as supporting the " full range of Raymarine accessories including.... CHIRP sonar" not true, correct??
A3. Axiom MFDs are available with and without internal fishfinder circuitry. Those equipped within internal CHIRP/DownVision fishfinder circuitry or RealVision 3D fishfinder circuitry may be directly mated to a compatible transducer (i.e. a fishfinder sounder module is not required). In contrast, an Axiom MFD lacking internal fishfinder circuitry (ex. E70366 Axiom 9) would need to be interfaced a CP100, CP200, CP370, CP470, or CP570 with compatible transducer to function as a fishfinder. Alternatively, the E70366 Axiom 9 MFD may be interfaced to an Axiom DV or Axiom RV MFD w/compatible transducer to permit both MFDs to support fishfinding features.

Q2. I would like to mount flush in a pod-like compartment and am trying to determine the depth required. In the Axiom Brochure, the specs page shows 6.97" from face to the back turn of the cable. The specs page in the installation manual has a rear mount diagram that is either in error or way out of scale. It does show face to back of cable as 7.01", which is virtually the same as the brochure, but it also lists C + D (face to back of bracket) as just 4.28", though the diagram shows the cable and bracket protruding roughly the same distance back. It looks like a right angle connector would give the minimum required clearance.... what would this measurement be exactly (unless the diagram is very out of scale, 6.22" doesn't seem possible), and what right angle connector would I use?
A2. The diagram is not drawn to scale. If seeking to satisfy the mounting depth for pod installation, the depths specified for the straight or right angle Power/NMEA 2000 Cable should be used to ensure that these cables are not subjected to excessively sharp cable bends.
06-16-17, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-17 08:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

Thanks for the good info.

Just to clarify, if I connected a "smart" transducer, such as the DST 800 to my nmea 2000 network, the axiom (70366) would indeed display depth... and then I could always later add a depth instrument such as the i50, as you suggested, in order to take advantage of some of the calibration and alarm functions you outlined.

Also, does Raymarine produce a right angle connector suitable for the axiom nmea 2000 connection? I couldn't find one on your site. I understand this is not a seatalkng connection ( I don't understand why...), so I could use a cable from any manufacturer? Then a simple adapter to the ng backbone...

Thanks again!

Dave
06-20-17, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-17 08:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dave,

Q1. If I connected a "smart" transducer, such as the DST 800 to my nmea 2000 network, the axiom (70366) would indeed display depth... and then I could always later add a depth instrument such as the i50, as you suggested, in order to take advantage of some of the calibration and alarm functions you outlined.

A1. Should a Smart DST or DT transducer be installed and the associated calibration/alarm functions be desired, then an i70S Multifunction Instrument Display would need to be installed to support these features. The i50 Tridata and i50 Depth instruments are designed to calibrate and configure alarms in conjunction with analog depth, speed, and temperature transducers which have been directly mated to the instrument.

Q2. Also, does Raymarine produce a right angle connector suitable for the axiom nmea 2000 connection? I couldn't find one on your site. I understand this is not a seatalkng connection, so I could use a cable from any manufacturer? Then a simple adapter to the ng backbone...

A2. Raymarine is adopting DeviceNet Micro-C plug and sockets within the Axiom and future product designs, as the marine electronics industry is trending toward NMEA 2000 networking components featuring these connectors. Accordingly, NMEA 2000 networking components featuring DeviceNet Micro-C plugs and sockets from from any manufacturer (ex. Maretron, etc.) may be used in constructing a SeaTalkng backbone.
06-20-17, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-17 02:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the answers so far...

I am usually pretty savvy with technical issues, or at least good at researching, but I continue to be confused with the cabling on these axioms.

Back to my original question concerning the axiom spec for rear clearance... it states 6.22" using right angle connector. what connector is this referring to?? You said in your last response that any manufacturer's DeviceNet micro-c cables are compatible. These are 5 pin connections, and I can readily find them from a few suppliers. The NMEA 2000 connection on the back of the Axiom is an 8 pin connector... evidently in order to additionally supply power to the unit. I don't see this connector available anywhere, right angle or not, nor can I even figure out what it is called?? I understood from your last post that the point of getting away from seatalkNG was to make things more compatible with industry standards, but this seems to be a unique socket. So the question remains: what right angle connector is the 6.22" clearance based on? Maybe this is just a generic statement, but to state a measurement to the hundredths of an inch seems odd if there isn't a specific cable which the spec is based on.

Sorry for beating this to death, but it is kind of important to confirm that this whole setup will work in my application.

My sincere thanks again,

Dave

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-20-17, 02:37 PM
Dave,

Q1. Back to my original question concerning the axiom spec for rear clearance... it states 6.22" using right angle connector. what connector is this referring to??

A1. Raymarine does not offer a right angle NMEA 2000 cable as indicated within my prior response. However, to support applications having tighter clearances behind the MFD than may be supported with the supplied R70523 Straight Power/NMEA 2000 Cable, Raymarine offers the R70561 Right Angle Power/NMEA 2000 Cable (found within the Axiom Cables / Accessories List).

Q2. You said in your last response that any manufacturer's DeviceNet micro-c cables are compatible. These are 5 pin connections, and I can readily find them from a few suppliers. The NMEA 2000 connection on the back of the Axiom is an 8 pin connector... evidently in order to additionally supply power to the unit. I don't see this connector available anywhere, right angle or not, nor can I even figure out what it is called?? I understood from your last post that the point of getting away from seatalkNG was to make things more compatible with industry standards, but this seems to be a unique socket. So the question remains: what right angle connector is the 6.22" clearance based on? Maybe this is just a generic statement, but to state a measurement to the hundredths of an inch seems odd if there isn't a specific cable which the spec is based on.

A2. Should you examine an Axiom Power/NMEA 2000 Cable, you will find that it features a proprietary plug which will mate to the Axiom MFD's Power/NMEA 2000 socket. The other end of this cable features a cable terminated in a DeviceNet (M) Plug and bare leads for +12VDC, -12VDC, and drain.