Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Replace C120 Classic with E120 Classic?
06-09-17, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-18 01:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Replace C120 Classic with E120 Classic?
I recently bought a "new" boat (Bayliner 4550) with a C120 Classic MFD. I really like it. IT's not as fancy as new models, but it meets my needs for cruising in South Puget Sound. But, it is mounted in the Pilothouse and there is no nav at all on the flybridge (aside from a compass).

I understand that the C120 can't be linked to another display, and was wondering if a used E120 Classic would be a "Plug and Play" replacement for the C120 in the pilothouse. I think I could then add a Seatalk Network Switch and a second display on the flybridge.

The current system does have a Raymarine 300DSM, Raymarine GPS antenna (not sure what model right now) and 24" Raymarine radar dome.

Will that work, or am I missing something?

I'm not prepared right now to replace the whole system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-17, 12:15 PM
RE: Replace C120 Classic with E120 Classic?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mickklass,

E-Series Classic MFDs share the same footprint as do the corresponding C-Series Classic MFDs. E-Series Classic MFDs also share the same Power, NMEA 0183, and Analog Radar Cables with the C-Series Classic MFDs.
- The SeaTalk port of the E-Series Classic MFDs differs from that of the C-Series Classic MFDs, and as such, the SeaTalk Cable which is presently interfaced to the C-Series Classic MFD's SeaTalk port must be spliced to the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable of the E-Series Classic MFD.
- The SeaTalk2/NMEA 2000 port of the E-Series Classic MFDs differs from that of the C-Series Classic MFDs, and as such, the cable which is presently interfaced to the C-Series Classic MFD's SeaTalk2/NMEA 2000 port must be spliced to an A06061 E-Series Classic MFD to SeaTalkng Spur Cable.
- Unlike the C-Series Classic MFDs, the DSM30/300 will be interfaced to the E-Series Classic MFDs via Ethernet communications. Unlike the MFD designs which followed, E-Series Classic MFDs were not designed with autosensing Ethernet interfaces. As such, they cannot be interfaced directly to another compatible device having an Ethernet communications port via a single SeaTalkhs or Ethernet cable. Instead, the MFD may be interfaced to a DSM via one of the following methods:
----- a cable assembly constructed from a pair of SeaTalkhs to RJ45 (M) Cables which have been joined with a SeaTalkhs Crossover Coupler, SeaTalkhs Network Switch, or SR6 Sirius Satellite Weather Receiver / Network Switch
----- a pair of cable assemblies which have been constructed from an A80272 RayNet (M) to SeaTalkhs (M) Adapter and RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable which have been joined to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch
06-18-17, 07:29 AM
Thanks, Chuck.

This sounds like it is a bit more complicated that I imagined, but perhaps do-oable if the parts are available.

Right now, the only connections used on the C120 are the Power, Radar, SeaTalk and DSM. I think the SeaTalk is only connected to a Raymarine 125 GPS receiver.

Currently the DSM is only connected to a depth finder and the C120.

I was expecting to get a Raymarine Network router, along with 2 E120 Classics. The Pilothouse helm station will be the primary, where the C120 is now. The secondary will be on the flybridge, and I presume will only need a power connection and a SeaTalk connection to the network router.

The connections to the primary E120 will need to be modified from the C120 connections.

Does that all make sense?
06-20-17, 08:16 AM
Mick,

Q. I was expecting to get a Raymarine Network router, along with 2 E120 Classics. The Pilothouse helm station will be the primary, where the C120 is now. The secondary will be on the flybridge, and I presume will only need a power connection and a SeaTalk connection to the network router.

The connections to the primary E120 will need to be modified from the C120 connections.

Does that all make sense?

A: What you have describe appears to be on the right track. Raymarine systems do not utilize routers. Instead, Raymarine systems having Ethernet communications interfaced (ex. E-Series Classic MFDs, DSM30/300, SR150, HD Radomes, etc.) utilize Ethernet switches (ex. HS5 RayNet Network Switch, SR6 (retired), SeaTalkhs Network Switch (retired).
03-28-18, 12:29 PM
Hi Chuck--this thread from last summer was helpful. I'm thinking of replacing my C120 with an E120 (classic) because: 1) it will let me update my EVO 400 autopilot and 2) I think the screen is better and brighter--is that correct?

And from your post and other research it looks like my DSM 250 sounder module will NOT work. Also correct?

Is it possible for me to find a (used) more up to date sounder module that I can use with the current transducer and is also compatible with an E120? If so, what module should I look for?

Thanks.
04-02-18, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum willyritch,

Q1) (the E120) will let me update my EVO 400 autopilot
A1) If the E120 MFD is interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then it may indeed be used to update the software within an Evolution autopilot's components.

Q2) I think the screen is better and brighter--is that correct?
A2) Although Raymarine never specified NIT values for the C-Series Classic and E-Series Classic MFDs, then E-Series Classic MFDs were brighter than the C-Series Classic MFDs.

Q3) It looks like my DSM 250 sounder module will NOT work.
A3) Correct. The DSM250 should be replaced with a CP370 sounder module. Transducers designed for use with the DSM250 will also be compatible with a CP370.
04-03-18, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-18 07:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Excellent info. Thanks Chuck. One more question: could I also use a DSM30, DSM300, or CP300 sounder module?
04-03-18, 07:57 AM
willyritch,

Q. Could I also use a DSM30, DSM300, or CP300 sounder module?
A. Should the transducer be a 600W transducer, then any of the three sounder modules would be an alternative to the CP370 (strongly recommended). Should the transducer a 1kW transducer, then the DSM300 and CP300 would be an alternative to the CP370 (again, strongly recommended).
07-16-18, 04:47 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-18 01:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Replace C120 Classic with E120 Classic?
I don't completely understand this part--if I am hooking up a DSM30 directly to an E-Series Classic (no second display) do I need to use one of the cable assemblies you describe above? For example, to go from the ethernet port on the DSM30 to the ethernet port on the E-Series, do I have to create an ethernet>SeaTalkhs>Seatalkhs Crossover>SeaTalkhs>ethernet assembly?
07-16-18, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-18 01:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Replace C120 Classic with E120 Classic?
willyritch,

Q. if I am hooking up a DSM30 directly to an E-Series Classic (no second display) do I need to use one of the cable assemblies you describe above? For example, to go from the ethernet port on the DSM30 to the ethernet port on the E-Series, do I have to create an ethernet>SeaTalkhs>Seatalkhs Crossover>SeaTalkhs>ethernet assembly?
A. Yes and yes.