Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-5 AP to e75 MFD Data issue
06-19-17, 05:16 PM
X-5 AP to e75 MFD Data issue
Having just installed a new e75 MFD and a simple seatalkng backbone along with an X-5 autopilot seatalk kit (T12189) on my existing 2011 Autopilot as shown. The MFD shows the AP status as online (Green) however when I am following a route the GPS data is not coming through, as the AP display head doesn’t show XTE, BTW or DTW.

I connected the X5 AP as a spur from the 5 way connector supplied in the kit to the course computer’s Seatalkng connectors studs, the MFD is also installed on a spur cable from the backbone.
I was told that as the AP had Seatalkng connections all would work well. Could it be that this connection is only one-way from the AP to MFD and not MFD to AP. Do I need to install a Seatalk to Seatalkng converter also, or could it be a firmware issue.
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-17, 03:12 PM
RE: X-5 AP to e75 MFD Data issue
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Genesis V,

What version of software is installed within the X5 autopilot course computer? Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. What model of autopilot control head has been interfaced to the X5 autopilot course computer?
06-20-17, 05:59 PM
I am away from the boat right now, I am not sure which version of software the X5 AP course computer is running, I purchased it in 2012 and never have updated the software. The control head is the original supplied ST6002 pilot controller, it worked fine through the NMEA data supplied from my old Raymarine RC435 chartplotter.
The eS75 MFD was purchased in this February and its firmware was updates at that time.
06-21-17, 08:47 AM
Genesis,

You may use the link provided within my prior response to determine the version of software which is installed within the autopilot. Should it not have been updated since 2012, then it is most certainly out of date. The X5 autopilot software was designed to be updated via the e75 MFD. It is recommended that the X5 be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates.
06-21-17, 03:12 PM
I hope to download the updates tomorrow and take it up to the boat for installation this weekend.
I noticed that the current software for the eS75 MFD is v19.03 and my unit is running v17.46 if I update the MFD’s software will it also automatically update the Wheel Pilot X-5 software as stated in Stage 2 in blue area of page (http://www.raymarine.com/display/?id=15032386321)

Which states: “Once the Master MFD has been updated, usually any connected MFD or peripheral will be updated as well.
If you have performed the update recently on the MFD, you may not need to perform this update. Please check if you require the update”.

Or should I do them separately and if so in what order?
When selecting the software for the wheel pilot X-5 it asks me to choose to download V6 or V7, I’m not sure which one
Thanks.
06-26-17, 02:27 PM
The Autopilot has now been updated to V4.00 and the MFD updated to V19.03 but the autopilot is still not displaying XTE, DTW or BTW, however the MFD's GPS does show that info.
The AP was calibrated after the update. The first step in calibration is to make sure XTE, DTW, BTW data are being displayed on the pilot-head, because it wasn't we ignored that and continued with the calibration which went well but still no data displayed.
06-26-17, 03:12 PM
Genesis V,

Did you command the MFD to Go To a Waypoint / Cursor position before checking for these data items? If so, then please respond with the MFD's Diagnostics...html file to this thread.
06-27-17, 02:44 PM
I did initiate command to follow route and Go-To Waypoint with no success of Data on AP display head. I will update reply with MFD Diagnostics this weekend.

In looking through seatalk.ng accessories I found that the “T12189” X-5 Autopilot Cable Kit which I installed is described sometimes as for use with a ST70 Control-Head, no mention of for use with ST6002 control head which is what I have, could this be the problem?

(Retail Discription:“Raymarine T12189 Cable Kit For X-5 Pilots to ST70 Control Head. Comprised of Two A06031, One A06043, One A06049, One A06064.”)

If not will post Diagnostics in a few days.
06-28-17, 03:29 PM
Genesis V,

As you have suggested, a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone should be installed onboard the vessel. This backbone will include a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update. The MFD and X5 Course Computer will each be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone using appropriate lengths of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. The ST6002 will be disconnected from the X5's SeaTalk port. The ST6002 will instead be interfaced to the yellow SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
07-03-17, 06:29 PM
Installing the Seatalk to Seatalkng converter has solved the the data issue. If only the dealer had sold me the converter to begin with instead of a 5-way connector, we did discussed it for some time. Thanks.