Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Ray60 connect to Axiom 9RV though a SeaTalking Backbone?
06-22-17, 02:20 PM
Will Ray60 connect to Axiom 9RV though a SeaTalking Backbone?
I like the Lighthouse 3 MDS feature, but the 3.0.66 update with it's SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and NMEA 0183-STNG Converter blocking has made me rethink my system. I pulled the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter out of the backbone because it only feeds legacy autopilot components. I may go to Evolution anyway. I found that I had to pull the NMEA 0183-STNG Converter as well in order to get my data source selection back. Either of the two converters blocks data source selection in Lighthouse 3.0.66.

The NMEA 0183-STNG Converter was supplying the coordinates for my Standard Horizon GX2000 VHF distress functionality. By pulling the NMEA 0183-STNG Converter I've lost this critical functionality.

If I switch to a Ray 60 VHF, will I be able to connect it to my two Axiom 9RV MDF though my SeaTalking Backbone for full Ray 60 functionality? Without the use of a NMEA 0183-STNG Converter so I can keep my data source selection functionality?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-17, 03:27 PM
RE: Will Ray60 connect to Axiom 9RV though a SeaTalking Backbone?
wavedweller,

Q1. If I switch to a Ray 60 VHF, will I be able to connect it to my two Axiom 9RV MDF though my SeaTalking Backbone for full Ray 60 functionality?
A1. As the Ray60 features a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, it may indeed be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone.

Q2. Without the use of a NMEA 0183-STNG Converter so I can keep my data source selection functionality?
A2. Should the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update then it will not block data source selection. Rather than replace your VHF radio, you may want to consider bringing the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to your Raymarine dealer to have its software updated ... recommend contacting them first. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing other means of updating product software in systems which presently feature an Axiom MFD.
06-23-17, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-17 07:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the quick answer Chuck! I don't really care about the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter because it only connects my legacy autopilot components which don't appear to function anyway. I am bummed that the NMEA 0183-STNG Converter is also blocking my data source selection, after completely removing the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter from the backbone and running a Factory Reset multiple times. Do I need to update the software on the NMEA 0183-STNG Converter? If I do, will that stop the block to data source selection?
06-26-17, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-17 08:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
wavedweller,

Q. Do I need to update the software on the NMEA 0183-STNG Converter? If I do, will that stop the block to data source selection?
A. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Regarding your questions ... Yes and Yes ... see the link provided within my initial response.