Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST60 Depth Issue
06-27-17, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-17 09:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ST60 Depth Issue
Chuck, Thank you for your help and suggestions. The Tech did not keep his appt today so I could not confirm wiring questions. Since he made the appointment months ago, he probably doesn't intend to return. I think I will try and check it out myself and just see what I can figure out. It does appear that he piggy backed the SL70RC Plus off the C120. Since this install started the whole depth issue, I think I will disconnect the SL70 RC and leave the C120 and see if the issue is resolved. If it is not, I am going to disconnect one ST60 at a time and see what the result is. I feel it happens when it either heats up or overloads. There has to be a simply explanation.

Wish there were more techs available to service Raymarine. Most in the Charleston area are a year out booked.

Neil
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-17, 09:19 AM
Neil,

As indicated, I do not suspect that the issue has anything to do with the addition of the C120. However, it is possible that the circuitry of the ST60 Depth Instrument or transducer may be warming up over the period of time specified ... and then may be failing. Again, it is recommended that the ST60 Depth Instrument be tested with another transducer to fault isolate the problem. The cost of an instrument depth transducer will likely be less than the cost of the technician's services.
07-14-17, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-17 03:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Purchased the new depth transducer and tested, nothing changed,
eliminating the possibility of transducer failure. Have not been able to
eliminate the ST60 Depth as purchased the i50 but over my experience to install.
Meantime with all the plugging and unplugging the C120 is not coming on and off repeatedly by itself. First the C120 screen came on for 3-5 minutes and then went off and immediately came on as if rebooting.
I finally unplugged power from back, then plugged back, reset to factory default settings on menu and it stayed on and seemed ok. In fact the depth and everything appeared to be working fine. Left on 2-3 hours with no issue. That was a week ago. Yesterday I was working on a non electric item at the boat so I turned on electronics and left them on while I worked. They worked perfect, no problem. Left them on all night. When I returned to boat this morning the C120 was turning itself on and off, this time at 3 second intervals. Also the depth was reading up and down.
I held the power button down but the C120 unit would not power down, just continued to show screen on then off. I had to unplug from back to power down. I still have been unable to get any tech to return calls. There is no field service in this area for Raymarine. Very disturbing. If I had not already sold my Navpod for my RL70C I would just re-install it.
Any ideas what is going on. Could it be a faulty SeaTalk? I just don't know where to turn. One Electronics guy I talked to said he was booked for 10 months out. Sad
07-17-17, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-17 03:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Neil,

Unfortunately, it can indeed be challenging to enlist a marine electronics installer during the peak of the boating season. It only becomes more challenging should there be few in your area ... I assume that you used Raymarine's Dealer Locator web page to search for Certified and non-Certified Installers. I would recommend that you verify that the C120 has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update and that a Factory Reset then be performed. Should the problem persist when operating with v5.16 C-Series Classic MFD software, then one may isolate the source of the problem by simply disconnecting the MFD from its sources of data (cartography, SeaTalk, SeaTalk2, NMEA 0183, Radar) one by one then then determining whether the problem re-occurs. Should the problem occur when interfaced only to the MFD's Power Cable, then it would appear that the MFD itself is in need of service.
07-17-17, 07:54 PM
Thanks Chuck, It does appear the problem may be the MFD. I did
disconnect all you suggested on Saturday trying to get the C120 to
turn off. It would not and I had to disconnect it. I purchased it used
last year, I did the 5.16 update and had a Electronics guy install that was recommended by the local West Marine. Everything seemed fine until an early spring cruise and I realized the depth was reading 95
and the depth was probably 30. This continued on each following
cruise until I started trouble shooting per our conversations and the
C120 started turning on and off, which only got worse each time I went to the boat. I have removed it and have requested a work order from
Raymarine to have it checked out. Hopefully the issue can be resolved.
Appreciate your help.
07-18-17, 07:48 AM
You're welcome. No RMA is required to send a product to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. A brief note describing the problem and your contact/shipping information should be included within products being sent to the Repair Center.