Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sailboat upgrade path
06-27-17, 07:36 PM
sailboat upgrade path
Hi I'm upgrading and want to know if what I have picked will all work together ok?

We are off in 2 years so I have to get this done sooner than later. :)

axiom (not sure of the size, sonar and chart options)
Quantum radar
i70s multi display
T120 Wireless Wind Transducer
T910 Transducer
S100 Remote Control

standard ais radio(happen to like them)
already purchased
EV-200 Sail

I have looked at the cruising and racing options but they don't really describe what I'm looking for.

I know the axiom is the newest, as we are planning on a few years of cruising I don't want to buy something that's going to be out of date.

My idea of all the wireless stuff is that we can have a couple of ipads to access the data where ever we are on the boat. (38' sailboat)

Is the T910 transducer the right one for a sailboat?

The next purchase I would like to make is the radar, might do the wind transducer at the fewer trips up the mast!!! lol (good luck with that!!! want to take bets on the amounts of trips up?)

Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-17, 03:20 PM
RE: sailboat upgrade path
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

Your equipment list looks like its off to a good start. Be certain to leave enough time to get it all installed, perform shake down, and practice with the equipment. As the Axiom MFDs do not have a NMEA 0183 communications interface, a Micro-Talk Gateway would need to be added to the system. The Micro-Talk Gateway is designed to function as a data bridge between a TackTick system and a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The TackTick transducers and additional required TackTick components are included within the T108 Wireless Speed, Depth and Wind System. Regarding whether the T109 is the best choice for a sailing vessel, I tend to favor the separate depth and Speed/Temp transducers (i.e. T911 Speed and temperature transducer and T912 Depth transducer) as depth performance is generally better with full element vs half element depth transducers.
06-28-17, 04:16 PM
Thank you Chuck

will the iTC-5 solve my problem with the depth and speed? Would I be able to use the sensors already on the boat? older kvh stuff? (nema0183)

Maybe leave that stuff onboard and use the miro-talk gateway?

Maybe I'm overlooking something is there a wireless depth and speed that works without another box? It's not a price thing it's one less thing to go wrong.

As I understand it, and I maybe wrong. wireless radar, and wind will go to the axiom and the i70s?

Do I need to buy the Axiom with the fish finder if I have the i70s?

last question
My radio will be nema 2000 with built in AIS transponder. It looks like I just need a cable to adapt it, is that correct?

thanks again
Bob
06-29-17, 08:22 AM
Bob,

Q1. Will the iTC-5 solve my problem with the depth and speed?
A1. No. The iTC-5 is designed for use with wired analog depth, speed, temperature, and wind transducer. The iTC-5 does not support wireless or smart transducers (NMEA 0183 / NMEA 2000).

Q2. Would I be able to use the sensors already on the boat? older kvh stuff? (nema0183).
A2. Should the vessel already be equipped with NMEA 0183 transducers, then these may be interfaced to NMEA 0183 multiplexer (when two or more NMEA talkers need to the interfaced to the system), which may in turn be a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-STNG, etc.). It should be noted that Raymarine products are neither designed to calibrate third party sensors nor configure alarms to trigger based upon data from such sensors ... Raymarine products will simply repeat data from compatible third party NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 data sources

Q3. Maybe leave that stuff onboard and use the miro-talk gateway?
A3. The Micro-Talk Gateway is only applicable to systems which include a TackTick display.

Q4. Maybe I'm overlooking something is there a wireless depth and speed that works without another box? It's not a price thing it's one less thing to go wrong.
A4. No.

Q5. As I understand it, and I maybe wrong. wireless radar, and wind will go to the axiom and the i70s?
A5. With respect to Wi-Fi integration between Axiom MFDs and other marine electronic devices, the Wi-Fi communications interface of the Axiom MFDs is exclusively designed to support Wi-Fi communications between the MFD and a Quantum radome. The TackTick transducers are designed to communicate with a TackTick Wireless display, which in turn will be used to calibrate data associated with the transducer. The Micro-Talk Gateway simply bridges data from the TackTick system to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to permit compatible devices (ex. Axiom MFD, i70S, Evolution autopilot, etc.) to repeat and use data from the TackTick system.

Q6. Do I need to buy the Axiom with the fish finder if I have the i70s?
A6. Unless interested in producing a fishfinder-type plot of the bottom, then there would be no need to purchase an Axiom MFD having internal fishfinder circuitry. However, should one desire to have the Axiom MFD display a fishfinder-type plot of the bottom, then it would be necessary to purchase an Axiom MFD having internal fishfinder circuitry and interface it to a compatible fishfinder transducer. An alternate solution to the latter would be to interface the Axiom MFD to a CP100 CHIRP (conical) / DownVision Fishfinde Sounder Module which in turn has been interface to a compatible CHIRP / DownVision or CPT-S Transducer.

Q7. My radio will be nema 2000 with built in AIS transponder. It looks like I just need a cable to adapt it, is that correct?
A7. The third party VHF radio / AIS transponder will simply need to be interfaced a a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the MFD has also been interface as a spur. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
06-29-17, 04:47 PM
Chuck

Q5. As I understand it, and I maybe wrong. wireless radar, and wind will go to the axiom and the i70s?
A5. With respect to Wi-Fi integration between Axiom MFDs and other marine electronic devices, the Wi-Fi communications interface of the Axiom MFDs is exclusively designed to support Wi-Fi communications between the MFD and a Quantum radome. The TackTick transducers are designed to communicate with a TackTick Wireless display, which in turn will be used to calibrate data associated with the transducer. The Micro-Talk Gateway simply bridges data from the TackTick system to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to permit compatible devices (ex. Axiom MFD, i70S, Evolution autopilot, etc.) to repeat and use data from the TackTick system.

So the axiom will receive signal from the quantum radome wirelessly but not the mast head wireless wind?

Sounds like I would be better off getting the itc5 and the wired wind/direction sensor?

Once the Axiom has the data from the radar it's on the seatalkng network then?

Will I be able to see the radar and other information on a tablet device?

Sorry so many questions just want to get it right the first time, The guys at the marina store aren't much help....

thanks again Bob
06-30-17, 07:50 AM
Bob,

Q1. So the axiom will receive signal from the quantum radome wirelessly but not the mast head wireless wind?
A1. Correct ... the Axiom MFD and i70S are both not designed to process wireless signal from an wireless wind transducer.

Q2. Sounds like I would be better off getting the itc5 and the wired wind/direction sensor?
A2. The choice is subjective. If seeking to eliminate potential cable problems, then the previously specified TackTick solution including the Micro-Talk Gateway would be recommended. If not, then use of an iTC-5 with wired analog instrument transducers and an i70S would be recommended.

Q3. Once the Axiom has the data from the radar it's on the seatalkng network then?
A3. Negative. Radar imagery is not transmitted to other compatible MFDs via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications. Instead radar imagery is communicated to other compatible MFD via wired Ethernet communications. When Raymarine introduces mobile apps for MFDs running the LightHouse 3 operating system, then radar imagery will be available to mobile devices as well. Should these mobile apps repeat the screen of MFDs running LightHouse 3 software as they presently do for MFDs running LightHouse II software, then all data (except for camera video) would be repeated to the screen of the mobile device which will be connect to the MFD running LightHouse 3 software.

Q4. Will I be able to see the radar and other information on a tablet device?
A4. See the response to Q3.
07-01-17, 10:39 AM
thank you chuck!!
last questions I promise...LOL

the axiom will send gps data to the i70s thru seatalkng?

I was rethinking the radar, if I get the version with both wired and wireless will it connect both ways? What I mean is will the radar work wirelessly even if I have it connected by wire? My thinking is if for some reason the wireless fails out to sea I could switch to the wire.

I didn't understand how the wifi worked it repeats the screen of the mfd that makes more sense.

I think I can place my order now!!!

thank you again
Bob
07-03-17, 10:06 AM
Bob,

Q1. The axiom will send gps data to the i70s thru seatalkng?
A1. Yes.

Q2. I was rethinking the radar, if I get the version with both wired and wireless will it connect both ways? What I mean is will the radar work wirelessly even if I have it connected by wire? My thinking is if for some reason the wireless fails out to sea I could switch to the wire.
A2. Quantum radomes cannot communicate via Wi-Fi when interfaced to a system via wired Ethernet. Should the Quantum Data Cable be uncoupled from the system, then the Quantum radome may be paired with the Quantum radome to support communications via Wi-Fi. However, should the Quantum Data Cable be re-coupled to the system, then the Quantum radome will once again be unable to communicate with the radome via Wi-F and will communicate via the wired Ethernet connection instead.
09-22-17, 09:30 PM
Chuck

I have the boat hauled out for winter, so it's time to finish the install, so far everything has worked no problems

Axiom 9' without the sonar option

I bought but now am wondering if I bought wrong, this is the transducer I bought
Raymarine Model No. M78717
Mount: Thru-hull
Housing Material: Bronze
Connector: Spade connector for Raymarine instruments
Cable: 45 ft.
Frequency: 200 kHz
Cone: 13°
Power: 250 Watts RMS
Max. Depth Range: 400 - 600 ft.
Acoustic Window Material: Urethane
Compatible Hull Materials: Fiberglass or wood
[censored] Diameter for Installation: 2"
Dimensions: 4.87" H x 2.94" OD

If it's the right one I do have another question.
I read somewhere bronze isn't the best for salt water and I should use plastic, can I convert this one to plastic?

Next is speed temp, getting confused which one to get I think I have it figured out then I read is not good below 2 knots
So would you direct me to which one to get? I need 2" thru hull forward of the keel.

thanks for all the help
Bob
I have the axiom 9 mdf gps, itc5, i70s, quantum q24w, st60 windvane transducer, s100 remote, and ev200 autopilot
09-25-17, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-17 12:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bob,

On the contrary, bronze is the preferred material for longevity and strength when considering thru-hulls use on hulls constructed from wood or GRP (fiberglass). The M78717 B17 instrument depth transducer may indeed be used with an iTC-5 or TackTick Hull Transmitter. With respect to instrument speed/temp transducers, the M78716 ST800/P120 is typically the transducer of choice.