Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
es127 shuts down
06-28-17, 09:24 PM
es127 shuts down
When under sail for a few hours my new es127 shuts itself down. I can turn it back on, but after several minutes it does it again. After doing some research and talking with a Raymarine tech it appears to be a voltage problem. I thought if I shut off my freezer/refrigerator while under sail (no motor charging the batteries) it would reduce the draw on the batteries. That did seem to work however, if I am using the auto-pilot the same thing happens (auto pilot draws from the batteries as well). While at the dock with shore power on and batteries charging, the es127 will run forever - therefor it must be the batteries. I am starting to think perhaps I should replace my house batteries with ones with greater amperage? These house batteries were new last year. They are wet cells and will charge up to 13.7 volts. I hate to do it but, if necessary, get new batteries again. I would like to rely on my MFD while under sail but, that does not seem possible at this point.. As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Capt. Pete
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-29-17, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-29-17 12:04 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: es127 shuts down
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Pete,

Raymarine product owners may determine the power consumption for most Raymarine products by examining the product's installation guide or operation instructions. Switching the fishfinder ping OFF for both the 50kHz and 200kHz fishfinder channels when underway and operating deeper waters where depth monitoring is not required may reduce power consumption by the MFD. Unlike most marine electronics products, the power consumption of an autopilot is not constant. Sea state, wind conditions, current, vessel speed, and response level configured within the autopilot will all contribute to the amount of power consumed by an autopilot. In this case, you may want to consider hiring an ABYC Certified Marine Electrician to visit the vessel, test the batteries, test the underway charging system, determine the vessel's power needs, determine the time between full charge states, determine underway charging habits, install any required additional battery capacity, and/or install/repair the underway charging system to satisfy the vessel's power consumption needs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply