Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom 9 Interface to I60 Wind Instrument Troubleshooting Approach Needed
07-05-17, 03:02 PM
Axiom 9 Interface to I60 Wind Instrument Troubleshooting Approach Needed
I performed a test install of an Axiom 9 and I60 wind instrument before permanent mounting. The system was powered up before installation and using Settings>Network> Devices? >Wind, was able to find the i60 on the databus. The wind data was active on the Sailing page in the Dashboard App (it’s really, really nice!)

After permanent install in the pedestal pods, the Axiom could not find the I60 on the databus, but the I60 was operating normally. Remaking all databus connectors enabled the Axiom see the I60 again and display wind data. So I must have stressed a connector or cable and potentially have an intermittent open connection. I was careful in making the databus connections during assembly and reassembly (no bent pins and connector collars fully locked, although one collar fell off of the 5-way but was easily replaced).

Q1. Is there an approach, other than watching the wind indicator on the Sailing page in the Dashboard App, where I can monitor the I60 PGNs on the Axiom and detect the loss of the PGNs while flexing the cables?

Q2. Since the databus is on its own breaker/fuse (common house battery bank), could cycling of power to the databus only cause the Axiom to perform a hard reboot?

I am about to add the I70s and Evolution and a ST to STng converter to the backbone and want to get Q1 resolved while the network is simple.
Thanks – Dan Y
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1129]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-17, 01:48 PM
RE: Axiom 9 Interface to I60 Wind Instrument Troubleshooting Approach Needed
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dan,

Q1. Is there an approach, other than watching the wind indicator on the Sailing page in the Dashboard App, where I can monitor the I60 PGNs on the Axiom and detect the loss of the PGNs while flexing the cables?
A1. Unfortunately, LightHouse II does not support such diagnostics at this time. You may want to consider substituting the pod's T-Piece with a 5-Way Connector and then connect a NMEA 2000 Analyzer (ex. Actisense NGT-1 w/PC running Actisense NMEA Reader software, etc.) to the 5-Way connector when testing or monitoring SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications.

Q2. Since the databus is on its own breaker/fuse (common house battery bank), could cycling of power to the databus only cause the Axiom to perform a hard reboot?
A2. Switch power OFF or ON to the circuit supplying power to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone should have no effect on the Axiom MFD other than to cause the MFD to lose communications with whatever devices have been interfaced to the backbone.
07-07-17, 06:36 AM
Ok Thanks Chuck. Looks like a very useful protocol analyzer. Will troubleshoot cabling more and report back results. I'm running LIII 3.0.60 and the Wind is 1.06. Plan to upgrade the LIII to latest this weekend.

The Axiom did not find the wind yesterday, 7/6, after starting the system, but worked when last powered off on 7/4. Reseating the terminator plug on the Wind instrument, and swapping out its short spur with a new 1 m spur seem to allow multiple power cycles with the the Axiom finding the Wind.

Q. I do not own a Lighthouse II product, just the C80 classic. Is there any applicable documentation for using the recording feature under Homescreen > Settings > Network >Diagnostics?
Many Thanks Again
Dan
07-07-17, 08:44 AM
Dan,

Q. Is there any applicable documentation for using the recording feature under Homescreen > Settings > Network >Diagnostics?
A. Not at this time. Please not that LH 3 diagnostics have not yet been implemented fully.
07-07-17, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-17 10:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ha! That's good to know! Thanks Again.
07-07-17, 10:55 AM
You're welcome.