On my 2003 Sailboat new to me

I have at the nav station:

RL70C Radar Plus = Says Raymarine on boot - V2.09
ST60 Tridata
ST60 Wind
400G Course Computer
ICOM IC-502

At mast
Raymarine Radome - not sure which one it is but is 24" dia.

At the helm

RC631 Plus chart plotter = Says Raymarine on boot - V3.2
ST6001+ Autopilot head
GPS Head not sure which one but is original

At companionway
ST60 Wind
ST60 Depth
ST 60 Speed

Questions:
First the RL70 and RC631 are connected via seatalk and HSB2. both work fine independently, however, I believe that these two units should be able to share chart and radar screens via the HSB2. However I cannot get this to happen. About the only thing they seem to share are the cursors. Meaning RL70 cursor shows on RC631 and the RC631 cursor shows on RL700. But that is it, no chart or radar sharing.

All the other data is shared on the seatalk network. If I switch the c-map card between units I can get charts on one or the other. However when it's in the RL70 I cannot get the radar to overlay on the chart.

How do I trouble shoot this?

If I can't get them to share chart and rader then I may plan on upgrading the radar and MFD displays. i.e. new radome and MFd's at nav and helm
But I would like to keep all the ST60's, 400G course computer and ST6001+. From what I can dechiper I will need to mate the seatalk with the seatalkng, is that correct? What other considerations?

Lastly, which autopilot control head would replace the ST6001 and still keep the course computer and the other autopilot peripherals?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-16, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-25-16 08:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: RL70C not communicating with RC631
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dkritter,

Q1. I believe that these two units should be able to share chart and radar screens via the HSB2. However I cannot get this to happen. About the only thing they seem to share are the cursors. Meaning RL70 cursor shows on RC631 and the RC631 cursor shows on RL700. But that is it, no chart or radar sharing.

A1. SeaTalk communications is responsible for sharing alphanumeric GPS, instrument, navigational, and system state data. Hsb2 communications is responsible of sharing of radar imagery, fishfinder imagery, and cartography. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing troubleshooting hsb2 communications. Unfortunately, should one or more of the displays have failed hsb2 communications circuitry, then it must be replaced, as Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer service these displays.

Q2. But I would like to keep all the ST60's, 400G course computer and ST6001+. From what I can dechiper I will need to mate the seatalk with the seatalkng, is that correct? What other considerations? Lastly, which autopilot control head would replace the ST6001 and still keep the course computer and the other autopilot peripherals?

A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
03-14-16, 01:12 PM
Ok Thank you

I did manage to find these two on my own so this confirms that I had the right information.

On question on the troubleshooting and the OHM readings, am i testing the cable, terminators, the MFD or all three?
03-14-16, 03:40 PM
dkritter,

It is recommended that the hsb2 port of the display be tested first. If a fault is found with the hsb2 port of either display, then there is no need to proceed with further resistance testing. From there, testing should be performed to the inline termination plugs and then finally with the cables.
03-14-16, 04:51 PM
that is what I thought.

Thank you very much
03-15-16, 08:26 AM
You're welcome.
04-01-16, 08:05 AM
Continuing on I am replacing the Pathfinders with a new E125 and HD424 digital unit.

I purchased the ST1 to STNG converter and my question is how do I count the number of ST1 instruments on the network. Apparently the converter only works up to 5.

So i have currently on the ST1 buss:

Ray GPS
Tridata at nav - this is where the transducers are connected
Wind at nav also transducer connected
400 G course computer
Auotpilot ST6001 control head
Do the autopilot and course computer count as one or two?

Then there is a line that goes to (3) ST60 repeaters that are daisy chained, do treat this as one or as three?

SO i think i either have 5, 6 or 8.

If i have 5 then i'm good with one converter if i have 6 or 8 i will need another converter, correct?

Thanks
04-01-16, 10:18 AM
dkritter,

The items listed below are representative of five SeaTalk devices:
- Ray GPS (assume that this sensor supports SeaTalk rather than NMEA 0183 or SeaTalkng communicatons protocol)
- Tridata at nav - this is where the transducers are connected
- Wind at nav also transducer connected
- 400 G course computer
- Auotpilot ST6001 control head

As your system features the three additional SeaTalk devices listed below:
- 3) ST60 repeaters that are daisy chained,
increasing the count to eight SeaTalk devices, it will be necessary to install two SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters and link them to one another via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.
04-07-16, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-16 01:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK thank you I am getting this figured out. Next question, I am leaning towards a C95 9" at the helm as a repeater to the E125 at the nav station.

Question 1:
The E125 has the Cmap does the C95 also need to be the Cmap config?

Question 2:
I think I need a Raynet cable to go between the two, would that be a raynet to raynet cable? Is this just data or data and power?

Question 3:
Since this is a repeater do i need to also supply power to this unit or will the raynet cable do that? If i need power what do i do with the NMEA 0183 leads from this unit?

Question 4:
Since i will still have ST1 instruments but I don't think i need to cable this to the C95, does the raynet take care of that? Do I need to connect this to the new STng?
04-07-16, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-16 01:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
In conjunction with my other question, here is a sketch of my proposed layout and would like your input as to the suitablility

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Kismet Ray layout.pdf (Size: 940.62 KB / Downloads: 517)