Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Autopilot tacking
08-13-17, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-17 10:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Autopilot tacking
Yes- I followed the instructions in the FAQ you linked to including the Reset. The e95 showed a message ("calibrating" or something like that- it has been a while. The autopilot did not work while that message was displayed) which never went away and I gave up after 30 minutes of motoring and power cycled the mfd and autopilot. That message did not reappear and the autopilot tacking seemed to work, but the autopilot was way off from the compass. Should I redo the Factory Pilot Reset?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-17, 10:48 AM
David,

Indeed you should perform the Pilot Factory Reset (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->COMMISSIONING->PILOT FACTORY RESET), not simply reset the autopilot control head's settings. Failure to then see the Detecting Magnetics indicator within the autopilot may then indicate a problem with the autopilot software update and it would accordingly be recommended that you provide an updated version of the MFD's Diagnostics...html file.
08-14-17, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-17 08:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I tried the reset again today. I then ran the Dockside Wizard and boat info, then went for a motor and then sail. Never saw "Detecting Magnetics" although I am unclear when and where I would see that. I checked the software version and it is 2.18. The autopilot worked fine for the afternoon. I tried to do the align to GPS routine and each time I got an error. Last, the magnetic compass and the GPS/autopilot are about 20° off.
08-15-17, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-17 09:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
David,

Care must be taken to ensure that the indexing arrow of the EV-1 points directly toward the bow. Failure to ensure such may result in the issue reported. Additionally, I asked that you respond with the requested Diagnostics...html file. I want to ensure that each of the autopilot's components have been updated with the latest software. After updating each of the autopilot's components with the latest software, performing the Pilot Factory Reset, and then completing the Dockside Wizard, the autopilot control head's screen should appear as shown below.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1219]

Note the "Detecting Magnetics" status indicator below the bottom-most row of data items. The "Detecting Magnetics" status bar will show increasing progress until the autopilot has completed detection of the deviation sensed by the EV-1 Course Computer / Heading/Attitude Sensor. Upon completion, the autopilot control head will report the maximum deviation sensed.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-17-17, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-17 10:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I did the reset again, and did see the "detecting Magnetics" message. It was very faint against a white screen so very difficult to see, but knowing what to look for, it was there and eventually gave a success message. Is there a setting to make it look like your attachment image? So I think that is solved! Thanks!
One final question- There is a 5-6" speaker mounted about 2 feet from the EV-1. Is that close enough to affect its performance?
08-17-17, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-17 10:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
David,

The appearance of the p70/p70S is configured via the Pilot View setting (MENU->PILOT VIEW->VIEW TYPE->STANDARD) chosen. The color palette is configured via the command sequence MENU->DISPLAY SETTINGS->COLORS->INVERSE.

The EV-1/EV-2 CCU/Sensor Core should not be installed within 3' of devices producing magnetic fields. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.