Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST-60+ TriData Knot Meter Malfunction
07-06-17, 03:33 PM
ST-60+ TriData Knot Meter Malfunction
I have an ST-60+ knot meter/depth guage and the speed display no longer functions normally. Speed will not register unless I remove the transducer, spin the paddles and return the unit to the hull. Speed will then be displayed for about 5 minutes, then reset to a decimal (e.g., 00.09) then countdown to 00.00 where it remains until I go through the removal/spin routine, speed shows for another few minutes, resets and again counts down to zero. The paddles move freely and are not fouled (I did apply transducer paint to reduce fouling which I've done in the past without a problem). Wires appear fine. Any suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-17, 03:45 PM
RE: ST-60+ TriData Knot Meter Malfunction
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum WEG3,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test your speed transducer.
07-06-17, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-07-17 09:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you, but how do I determine whether or not the pod "is powered"? Is the SHIELD transducer lead marked so it can be identified as the SHIELD? Are these leads in the transducer or in the display? Thank you.
07-07-17, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-17 09:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
WEG3,

Q1. How do I determine whether or not the pod "is powered"?
A1. Please note that the previously referenced FAQ was written to address the three ways which an analog transducer may be interfaced to a system (i.e. via direct connection to the instrument's terminals, via connection to an instrument pod (for applications featuring a ST70 MFID or an i70/i70S MFID), or via connection to an instrument pod (for applications featuring a ST70 MFID or an i70/i70S MFID). Accordingly, should your transducer be connected directly to the Tridata, then the reference power is referring to ensuring that the instrument is powered.

Q2. Is the SHIELD transducer lead marked so it can be identified as the SHIELD?
A2. The transducer's shield lead is simply a bare wire (i.e. has no insulation). This wire is connected to the instrument's silver coded transducer terminal.

Q3. Are these leads in the transducer or in the display?
A3. The referenced leads are within the transducer's cable. Testing is performed by disconnecting the specified leads from the instrument's, pod's, or iTC-5's transducer terminals to then perform the continuity measurements.

Please note that Certified Raymarine Installers are also available to per diagnostics and product repair/replacement onboard your vessel.
07-07-17, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-17 10:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your follow-up, but I'll try to find a technician who can diagnose the problem.
07-07-17, 10:56 AM
You're welcome.