Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autopilot Type compatability with ACUs
07-17-17, 09:59 PM
Autopilot Type compatability with ACUs
Has anyone ever paired a Type 1 Linear mechanical drive with an ACU-100? What would happen if you did?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-17, 08:52 AM
RE: Autopilot Type compatability with ACUs
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum pselian,

When seeking Evolution autopilot components, Type 1 Linear Drives must be interfaced to an ACU-200. Interfacing an ACU-100 to any drive unit other then a Wheel Drive or Type 0.5 Hydraulic Pump may lead to premature failure of the ACU-100 due to the higher power demands of more powerful drive actuators. Such incorrect use of Raymarine products may also void the ACU-100's product warranty.
07-18-17, 04:29 PM
Chuck,
Thanks. In 2014 we installed a wheel drive on a 1987 Sabre 36 that only lasted 92 hours (3 summers) before the motor failed. Looking to upgrade to a type 1 linear drive. Any suggestions or recommendations?
07-18-17, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-17 04:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
pselian,

A Type 1 Linear Drive should be well within the specifications for a 1987 Sabre 36. The T70158 EV-200 Linear includes the Evolution Autopilot components, the SeaTalkng networking components to interface the Evolution Autopilot components to one another and the Type 1 Mechanical Linear Drive.
07-18-17, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-17 07:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, but I already have the EV-1 Sensor, the P70 head, and all the cabling. Since my ACU-100 is already out of warranty, what is the downside to just getting the Type 1 Linear Actuator? Can I set the response times and damping factors to limit the current draw from the ACU-100? Has anyone ever tried it?
07-19-17, 07:43 AM
pselian,

As you have indicated, you already have two of the required Evolution autopilot components included within the T70158 EV-200 Linear. Accordingly, you would only need to purchase the ACU-200 and Type 1 Linear Drive to complete the system. The ACU-100 is not designed to meet the power requirements of any drive unit other then a Wheel Drive or Type 0.5 Hydraulic Pump. Per my initial response, interfacing an ACU-100 to any drive unit other then a Wheel Drive or Type 0.5 Hydraulic Pump will likelylead to premature failure of the ACU-100 due to the higher power demands of more powerful drive actuator.