Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AIS hookup to e95 - Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 - Wire help
07-18-17, 10:54 PM
AIS hookup to e95 - Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 - Wire help
Hi everyone,
I have a newer Jeanneau Sun Odyssey sailboat outfitted with Raymarine gear including a pair of e95 MFD's (one for each helm station). The boat has a Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 with AIS and internal GPS. I know the AIS works because I have seen other boats on the radio's AIS display, but the e95's are not receiving the AIS data and no idea if they would be receiving any DSC signals to display on the plotter. On the Lighthouse display it says "No AIS data available" or something. I also made sure both the MFD and radio are set to 38400 baud.
Before I start, I will mention that I did spend hours upon hours researching the NMEA0183 to Raymarine MFD, and how the adapter kit (E70196) only really works one-way (sending data to the VHF, not receiving it from the AIS like I need).
It appears there are two ways to hook this radio (and others like it sending NMEA0183 AIS data) to an e95:
1) Buy the Actisense converter ($200) and all the extras for it (NMEA2000-STNG adapter) which will allow the radio to do a two-way interface with the rest of the network. The main reason this would be my Plan B is because I don't need the radio to receive data from the e95, I need the e95 to only receive the AIS data from the radio.
2) It looks like the e95 has a cable on the back for both power and to accept a NMEA0183 input, so this looks to be the most direct path.

Two questions:
1) I read that the MFD's are designed as read-only and will not create a network signal so other Raymarine equipment can read the NMEA data coming in. But I thought I also read that the MFD's will share data with each other via the Raynet cable. Does this mean that I can hook up the VHF/AIS radio to send its output to one of the MFD's, and the same AIS data will be available would be available for display on the sister MFD across the cockpit as well?

2) I dug back behind the radio and pulled out the NMEA output wires and took a picture (see attachment). The side with the unattached white and yellow wires is the radio-side, but I can't tell what the other side is (the one with the wires cut off). The wire colors look different than those described in the e95 installation manual - for example, the installation manual says the color should be W/G/Y/Br/OW/OG but as you can see here one of the cables is blue. I tried to trace both of the Power/NMEA/Video cables coming out of the MFD but both of them disappear into black holes inside the boat and can't tell where else they head off to.

So, if anyone has any ideas, it would be MUCH appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Side note: This has more to do with the GX2200 than Raymarine, but the GX2200 manual is kind of confusing as well on this topic. The yellow and white wires coming out of the radio are called AIS Data Output, but they are only shown hooked up to the MFD in the 4800 baud mode. In the 38400 baud mode, these wire remain unattached. It's not real clear if some inputs into the MFD should be set for 4800 baud and others 38400.

Best
'Dubs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-17, 08:48 AM
RE: AIS hookup to e95 - Standard Horizon Matrix GX2200 - Wire help
Q1. I read that the MFD's are designed as read-only and will not create a network signal so other Raymarine equipment can read the NMEA data coming in. But I thought I also read that the MFD's will share data with each other via the Raynet cable. Does this mean that I can hook up the VHF/AIS radio to send its output to one of the MFD's, and the same AIS data will be available would be available for display on the sister MFD across the cockpit as well?
A1. As indicated within the other thread which you had posted regarding data sharing between the MFDs, when interfaced to one another via Ethernet communications, the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs will share all data sources except for NTSC/PAL video sources. Accordingly, should the NMEA 0183 output of the AIS receiver be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 input port of one of the MFDs, then AIS data will be shared between the MFDs. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this troubleshooting reception of AIS data. Note: any testing must be performed via the MFD which has been directly interfaced to the AIS transceiver.

Q2. I dug back behind the radio and pulled out the NMEA output wires and took a picture (see attachment). The side with the unattached white and yellow wires is the radio-side, but I can't tell what the other side is (the one with the wires cut off). The wire colors look different than those described in the e95 installation manual - for example, the installation manual says the color should be W/G/Y/Br/OW/OG but as you can see here one of the cables is blue. I tried to trace both of the Power/NMEA/Video cables coming out of the MFD but both of them disappear into black holes inside the boat and can't tell where else they head off to.
A2. Unfortunately, should the cables have been extended, then it would be necessary to perform either locate the splice or perform continuity testing to determine whether 1) the cable shown within your photo is actually connected to the MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable and 2) what signal is being carried by each of the leads shown within your photo.
07-20-17, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-17 01:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Many thanks Chuck, I will execute those test shortly.
Great point on the MFD which is interfaced is the Master for the connectivity.
Question: Unfortunately, I moved the boat to a place where there are not a lot of other AIS transmitters (read: none). Some boats near me, like mine, might be able to receive/listen to AIS, but I am sure none actually transmit. Is there a way to test to see if the AIS functionality is working, even in absence of any actual AIS signals being received?
07-20-17, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-17 02:34 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Rdubs,

Unfortunately, it would not be possible to perform an end to end test unless the system's AIS receiver is receiving AIS communications from other vessels. As indicated, a wraparound test may be used to determine the operational state of the MFD's NMEA 0183 port.
07-20-17, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-17 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. If I recall, on my MFD it says "AIS not available" in a couple places. If I get the connection to work, but there are no other AIS vessels around, would it still say "AIS not available" or now that it is hooked up correctly to the radio, it senses the connection is working so it will change to "AIS available" or something?
Thanks
Rich
07-21-17, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-17 09:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Rdubs,

Raymarine AIS transceivers send out a proprietary heartbeat message to Raymarine equipment to permit the MFD to determine that it is interfaced to the AIS transceiver. Unfortunately, third party AIS receivers would not be detected by the system unless an AIS alarm message or AIS target data message was received by the MFD. You may want to consider monitoring the NMEA 0183 Buffer which has been interfaced to the AIS receiver for received messages (RX) to determine whether the MFD is receiving communications from the VHF radio. If messages are received having a $AI talker ID, then the communications interface would be deemed verified. Otherwise, you will simply have to wait for the vessel to be within range of an AIS transmitter.
06-15-18, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-18 10:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck and team
Apologies for resurrecting this thread but had an update. I let this sit for a while but finally bought the Actisense NGW-1-AIS with STNG adapter cable. As everyone knows this module converts the NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 format which can then be interfaced with the Raymarine network. I finally figured out what I think is the correct wire hookup to the VHF radio (there are four different configurations in the manual and it isn't clear which to use), which was to take the grey wire from the GX2200 and connect it to the red wire on the Actisense, then connect the brown wire from the radio to the black wire on the Actisense. So the setup from page 19 in the manual. When I did that and turned on the radio, the Actisense began flashing, which I hope is a good sign that it's seeing a signal.

I went to the e95 display and went into diagnostics. From the list of sensors/input, I saw one labeled "NMEA2000/NMEA0183" or something like that which I don't remember being there before. I also went to a screen labeled "Interfaces" and three things showed up" NMEA0183-1, NMEA0183-2, and N2K/STng. The N2K/STng one shows that data was both being sent and received, but the NMEA0183-1 shows only that data was being sent. The NMEA0183-2 showed nothing. Sorry for that long preamble, but my question is, is there a way to know, now that the Actisense converter is installed (which I think allows two-way communication as opposed to just a feed into the NMEA0183 port on the back of the MFD), is there a way to know if the AIS data interface is working in the absence of any vessels which have AIS? Your most recent response is related to this but we had been talking about using the NMEA0183 port on the back of the MFD, and now I have used the Actisense module to interface into the Raymarine network so not sure if that is different.

Kind regards
'Dubs
06-18-18, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-18 12:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Rich,

Please note that it is indeed possible to interface the MFD to the VHF radio / AIS receiver via the MFD's NMEA 0183 port to support bidirectional communications between the VHF radio / AIS receiver.
- connect the MFD's NMEA 0183 OUT1+ (yellow) lead to the NMEA 0183 IN+ (blue) lead of the GX2200
- connect the MFD's NMEA 0183 OUT1- (brown) lead to the NMEA 0183 IN- (green) lead of the GX2200
- connect the MFD's NMEA 0183 IN+ (white) lead to the NMEA 0183 OUT+ (gray) lead of the GX2200
- connect the MFD's NMEA 0183 IN- (green) lead to the NMEA 0183 OUT- (brown) lead of the GX2200
- Configure the GX2200's NMEA DATA IN/OUT setting to 38400 BPS.
- Configure the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 Setting (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->NMEA SET-UP->NMEA INPUT PORT 1) to AIS 38400.
- To view AIS objects within the MFD's Chart application, configure the AIS overlay (MENU->PRESENTATION->OVERLAYS->AIS) to ON.

Q. Is there a way to know if the AIS data interfaced is working in the absence of any vessels which have AIS?
A. Using the MFD's diagnostics features, examine MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 for received sentences. I would expect the third party AIS transceiver to periodically transmit $AIVDO (ownship) NMEA 0183 sentences to the MFD.

That said, it is alternatively possible to disconnect the MFD's NMEA 0183 port from the VHF radio / AIS transceiver and instead interface these two products as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to support bidirectional communications between the products as well as to make AIS data available to any other compatible products which may be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The latter is considered a best installation practice. As you have indicated, an NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device supporting communications of AIS data (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS, etc.) would be required for this purpose.

With the understanding that you are asking Raymarine product support to provide instructions concerning how a third party VHF radio / AIS receiver would be interfaced to a third party NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device, I believe that you will find that the following connections would be required:
- Ensure that the MFD's NMEA 0183 port is not interfaced to the GX2200
- connect the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 OUT+ (white) lead of the NGW-1-ISO-AIS to the NMEA 0183 IN+ (blue) lead of the GX2200
- connect the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 OUT- (blue) lead of the NGW-1-ISO-AIS to the NMEA 0183 IN- (green) lead of the GX2200
- connect the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 IN+ (red) lead of the NGW-1-ISO-AIS to the NMEA 0183 OUT+ (gray) lead of the GX2200
- connect the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 IN- (black) lead of the NGW-1-ISO-AIS to the NMEA 0183 OUT- (brown) lead of the GX2200
- Configure the GX2200's NMEA DATA IN/OUT setting to 38400 BPS.
- No communications port settings need be configured on the MFD to support communications between the MFD and GX2200
- To view AIS objects within the MFD's Chart application, configure the AIS overlay (MENU->PRESENTATION->OVERLAYS->AIS) to ON.
06-18-18, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-18 01:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck
Many thanks. I have hooked up the second pair (Red/Black) as you specify above, but did not hook up the first set (White/Blue). Will do that next.
The problem I have with testing is that my boat is on a land-locked Texas lake where no one else has AIS - at least, the version which actually transmits. So is there a way to check if the data connection between the MFD and the GX2200 is installed correctly, in absence of actual AIS data being piped over from the GX2200?

I originally tried to hook the radio's output (in NMEA0183) up to the NMEA0183 port on the MFD, but couldn't trace the wires on the cable since it was using some kind of extension (so all the colors were different). So went the conversion to NMEA2000 with adapter to STng route.

Best
Rich
06-18-18, 01:50 PM
Rich,

Unfortunately, if interfaced to the system via the NGW-1-ISO-AIS, there would be no way to make such a determination without having a nearby AIS transceiver or AIS AToN nearby.