Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead p70
07-21-17, 08:31 AM
Dead p70
I have a evolution 200 hydraulic auto pilot system that I installed in December 2015. I have never had any issues with it. A few months back, I also installed an E7d and fully networked them together with stng. Again, never an issue and everything worked seamlessly.

Enter last week. I updated the software of the components with the latest software. Installation went smoothly. I also recalibrated the auto pilot. That same day, I took a 3 hour ride and upon arriving I went for fuel. After about 30 minutes I went back to the helm to begin operating the boat again. I noticed my P70 and E7d were off. My other brand plotter and radar was still on. They are both on the same circuit breaker as well as other electronic devices that were still on. I repowered the E7 and tried the same for the p70 but it would not power up. This was extremely unfortunate as I was heading a couple hundred miles off shore on a very long trip. Fortunately, I remembered that I can operate the autopilot through the multi-function display. I completed my trip in that fashion.

E7d gets its own power and the stng network also is powered. The autopilot computer is on a separate breaker from the rest of the electronics and is not powering the network. The switch for that is off. The p70 is connected with one drop cable to the network. All other components on the network are acting as they should as evidence by the autopilot working through the E7.

I searched but I'm unable to find any other troubleshooting for me to go any further. Would like to know if this is a common thing and there is a troubleshooting method I am missing or I just happen to have my control head go bad.

Thank you, Kyle
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-17, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-17 10:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Dead p70
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Kyle,

Based upon the symptoms reported, it does not appear that the P70 is receiving power. You may want to try disconnecting its spur cable from both it SeaTalkng socket and from the backbone's spur socket. After doing so, plug the cable back into both the i70 and the SeaTalkng spur socket and rotate each socket's locking ring into the locked position. Should the p70 fail to then power ON, then it would appear to have suffered a failure necessitating that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
07-21-17, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-17 12:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply.

I failed to mention that I did switch spur sockets on the back of the p70 and where they met the backbone. I also switched component locations. The other component that I switched over stayed working while the p70 still failed to power up. I also tried spare cables that I had which changed nothing.

Let's just say the p70 failed. Is there a reason why it and the e70 would have both been powered off at same time? Yet the e7 powered back up just fine?
07-21-17, 12:43 PM
Kyle,

Unfortunately, no prior reports of the same symptoms have been reported. The only item which may apply is failure to isolate the power circuits supplying the electronics. Surges resulting from starting engines, or other high current drawing devices may create a sufficiently large enough surge to damage electronics. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
07-21-17, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-17 09:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Engines had not been started. 12v draws were minimal during the occurrence. Either way, my electronics/house battery are isolated and do not shut off when engines are started. Plus, I had not even started the engines yet. I had just climbed my ladder to the bridge and noticed they we're off.

That's why this is so odd to me. I think I've gone over most scenerios in my head to rule out most catostrophic events from occurring. I guess I'll be setting up for sending the unit in
07-24-17, 09:18 AM
Kyle,

Again, the reported behavior is quite unusual and typically associated with a power related problem. I may be able to provide some additional guidance should you be able to specify the make/model of power conditioning and provide a copy of the vessel's power circuits diagram.
07-27-17, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-17 09:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I don't believe I have any power diagrams in my possession. Boat is a 1995.

The 12v power consists of 2 group 24 starting batteries and a 31 series house. There is a westerbeke 5kw gen. The main engines have 55amp alternators. Battery charger is a brand new 1240p pro Mariner.
07-27-17, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-17 09:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Kyle,

It is unlikely that the marine electronics alone are being powered from the house battery. Should you not have the circuit diagram for your vessel and should you be unable to produce one yourself, then you may want to consider seeking the assistance of a Certified Raymarine Installer or a marine electrician to diagram the vessel's power circuits and/or check for the aforementioned isolation of the marine electronics circuits.