Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
change to E80 from C120
07-21-17, 10:24 AM
Question change to E80 from C120
Hello,

I have a working system with a C120 v5.04, Pathfinder 2D, DSM300 sounder, SmartPilot S1 vS1 463, ST6001 v15, SmartController and Raystar125 GPS.

I am trying to substitute an E80 for the C120, and am having difficulty with the pilot and GPS, both interfaced to the E80 on a SeaTalk bus via the E80 SeaTalk/Alarm cable.

With the Raystar 125 on the SeaTalk bus, the E80 start up fails and repeatedly attempts to start over and over :banner page, blank display page, blank screen, banner page again.

If I remove the GPS from the SaeTalk bus, the E80 starts normally. It receives Heading data from the pilot, but: in the status box the pilot icon is coloured, but flagged "X" (indicating I think that the E80 recognizes the pilot is there, but sees it as not operational), and the pilot control menu does not appear in the E80 menu list. The pilot system itself is working though.

I'm hoping for some guidance on what is wrong and how to get this going.

Thank you,
Don

Thank you,
Don
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-17, 10:46 AM
RE: change to E80 from C120
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Don,

It sounds as though the RS125 may have suffered a failure of its SeaTalk communications circuitry. You may want to try interfacing it via NMEA 0183 to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable. Regarding the autopilot, have you configured the MFD's Autopilot Controls feature to ON?
07-21-17, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-17 12:44 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck,

The RS125 and the overall SeaTalk bus it is on works fine on the C120, though. Could it be that there is something wrong with the RS125 that it will work on the C120 seatalk but not the E80?

I'll look for that autopilot config switch, turn it on if not already on. Didn't know there was a config switch for it.

Don
07-21-17, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-17 08:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks again,
Enabled autopilot control in the MFD config, and working now.
Just the GPS problem remaining. Crashes the startup on the E80, but works on the C120.
07-24-17, 08:26 AM
Don,

You're MFD's SeaTalk communications interface was proven operational in that it supports communications with the system's other devices when the RS125 GPS Sensor is removed from the SeaTalk bus. As suggested within my earlier response, it sounds as though the RS125 may have suffered a failure of its SeaTalk communications circuitry. Generally, such failures would simply result in cessation of communications within the SeaTalk bus. You may want to consider performing a Factory Reset Operation to the MFD to overcome the reported issue. Should this fail to correct the problem, then it is recommended that the GPS sensor be replaced with a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor or that you try interfacing it via NMEA 0183 to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Cable.
07-25-17, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-17 12:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you again, Chuck,

The start up problem with the GPS connected has become more intermittent - now starts much of the time with the GPS connected. Curiously, if the start up fails, if I disconnect the GPS data wire (yellow), the E80 will then start up, and if I then reconnect the GPS yellow after the E80 is up it will recognize the fix and carry on happily.

I have run the Verify Card diagnostics several times with the results:
BP2 checked 2130 errors 0
NV2 checked 10,000,000 plus (Mised end of test) errors 59
Reports 59 errors each time I run it (takes a long time)
Q: I am wondering if this is indicative of some sort of internal problem in the E80?

I will do a power on factory reset (again). I understand that this reset is more complete than the one from the E80 menu.

Q: I am also wondering if a software reinstall might help?

I will try the NMEA interface and Raystar 150 if the problem persists. My piggy bank is getting light though.

Kind regards,
Don
07-25-17, 12:52 PM
Don,

Q2. I have run the Verify Card diagnostics several times with the results:
BP2 checked 2130 errors 0
NV2 checked 10,000,000 plus (Mised end of test) errors 59
Reports 59 errors each time I run it (takes a long time)
I am wondering if this is indicative of some sort of internal problem in the E80?

I will do a power on factory reset (again). I understand that this reset is more complete than the one from the E80 menu.
A1. If the MFD's memory card reader it intermittent or not operational, or there are problems with the chart card, then symptoms such as you have reported may occur. Essentially, by providing the MFD with a GPS position FIX, the MFD will then attempt to access chart data at the vessel's location. Should one of the aforementioned conditions prevent such access, then the reported symptoms may occur. You may verify whether one of these conditions exist by removing the chart card from the MFD's memory card reader and then testing the MFD's performance with the suspect GPS sensor.

Q2: I am also wondering if a software reinstall might help?
A2. It is very unlikely that updating the MFD's software again would have any benefit in correcting the reported symptom should the MFD already have v5.69 software installed within its memory.
07-27-17, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-17 10:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck,

Looks like the card or card reader is it. More testing will tell for sure (as symptoms have been intermittent).

It starts reliably with the GPS but with no chart card.
It starts reliably with the GPS and with an older/smaller card I have - Navionics Gold 256MB
Earlier reported start problems were with new larger card - Navionics+ 16GB

Wondering if the size of the card, 16GB, is potentially an issue.

E80 has s/w v5.69

Thank you for your great support and patience on this. Very helpful.

Don
07-27-17, 10:57 AM
Don,

Q. Wondering if the size of the card, 16GB, is potentially an issue.
A. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
07-27-17, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-17 11:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Well, there it is.
thank you, again,
Don