Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Bennett NMEA1 (N2K) trim tabs & the AXIOM 9rv
07-26-17, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-18 08:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Bennett NMEA1 (N2K) trim tabs & the AXIOM 9rv
I tried to search on the forum but came up empty handed.

Will the Axiom 9RV support the readout AND calibration of the Bennett Marine NMEA1 kit via the N2k network?

I seem to recall reading something on here about not being able to calibrate the sensors, making it essentially useless. Before I spend the bucks I'd like to know if there are any issues.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-17, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-18 08:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Bennett NMEA1 (N2K) trim tabs & the AXIOM 9rv
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum DSMINVA,

Unfortunately, like the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs which preceded them, the Axiom MFDs do not support calibration of third party NMEA 2000 sensors. Third party calibration devices, such as the Bennett® Trim Tab Adaptor With NMEA 2000 from Offshore Dynamics are available for such purposes. Such calibration devices are designed to sense the analog output of each tab when in the full up and full down position and then calibrate these analog values to support the full deflection range of the port and starboard trim tab elements of NMEA 2000 PGN 130576 Small Craft Status and are commonly used by OEM boat builders employing Bennett® trim tabs.
07-26-17, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-18 08:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck

Is this something that Raymarine is working on in a new update?
It's kind of sad that a device like the Axiom would be unable to calibrate the data it's getting.

Does this also apply to the Mercury N2K smartcraft adapter? My understanding is there are calibrations that need to take place for this as well, trim position and tank levels come to mind.
07-26-17, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-18 08:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
DSMINVA,

A feature request has been previously logged to consider support for inclusion within a future LightHouse 3 software update. Raymarine products simply repeat the data which is received from third party NMEA 2000 devices. Any required calibration of a third party NMEA 2000 device would need to be performed per the product manufacturer's procedures. These procedures may include use of another product(s) from the sensor manufacturer and/or a computer. With respect to engine interfacing, please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The only calibration item which typically come into play with engines is ensuring that the engine(s) have been assigned instance IDs which are consistent with the schema specified within the referenced FAQ. Should the instance ID(s) need to be changed, then Mercury Marine should be contacted for information concerning how to assign new instance IDs to the engine(s).
07-27-17, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-17 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Bennett NMEA1 (N2K) trim tabs & the AXIOM 9rv
Chuck,

I understand what you are saying about repeating the data given to it, but if a sensor, of any kind is transmitting out a position of XYZ, the MFD needs to be setup to display XYZ data as being either at the top or bottom of the range that the MFD is capable of displaying.

When is this expected to be released?
07-27-17, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-17 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Bennett NMEA1 (N2K) trim tabs & the AXIOM 9rv
DSMINVA,

Q1: I understand what you are saying about repeating the data given to it, but if a sensor, of any kind is transmitting out a position of XYZ, the MFD needs to be setup to display XYZ data as being either at the top or bottom of the range that the MFD is capable of displaying.
A1. Incorrect. When calibrated per the NMEA 2000 sensor manufacturer's instructions, the values transmitted by the NMEA 2000 sensor will be adjusted to match the data range for the respective data item.

Q2. When is this expected to be released?
A2. Please click here more information concerning product and feature suggestions. Raymarine has not yet announced a software update to included NMEA 2000 trim tab calibration.
10-01-18, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-18 08:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I've finally had an opportunity to install the Bennett N2k kit with my Axiom 9RV.
I'm seeing "Unknown N2k device" under product info of the Axiom. The radio interface (PMX-CAN), and Mercury engine Gateway worked flawlessly as soon as I plugged them in and powered everything up.

I tried updating the Axiom's software this weekend to the current version (Gave me UAV control!) but that has had no effect.

I reached out to Bennett and this is their response-
"contact Raymarine’s Client Service Department to verify that their head unit is able to SEE the NMEA 2000 trim tab indication signal, DISPLAY the NMEA 2000 trim tab indication signal and CALIBRATE the NMEA 2000 trim tab indication signal. All of these functions are on the software side of the application, so the head unit must have the programming installed for it to perform the operation"

We already established last year that the Axiom is unable to calibrate the data, and I'm OK with that. General position of up or down is acceptable to me at this point. I've found the screen on the Axiom that displays the trim tab indications for port and starboard, so that's there. Why is this not showing up as a 'known' N2k device?
10-02-18, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-18 10:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Matt,

Per our conversation, should the Bennett N2k kit transmit the NMEA 2000 PGN 130576 Small Craft Status referenced within my earlier response, then the MFD will populate the Trim Tab data item displayed within the LightHouse 3 Dashboard's Engines Data Panel. Also per that discussion, we typically recommend use of a NMEA 2000 analyzer (ex. Actisense NGT-1 w/NMEA Reader software, etc.) to verify presence of specific PGNs on the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone as well as to verify the content within these PGNs.
10-04-19, 09:14 AM
I am still trying to accomplish a way to have my Axiom 9RV display my Bennett Trim Tab position. I am in the same position as others where I have installed the NMEA2000 indicator, the Axiom sees it is there, but I cannot calibrate. I came across this post:

http://www.boat-project.com/nav/n2000.htm

Would it be safe to assume if it worked on the C80 mentioned there that it would work on the Axiom? Also, If I were to put an LMF 200 in the system, calibrate the tabs, then remove the LMF 200, would that calibration stay in the "system" or does it go away with the LMF 200?
10-07-19, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Thebobman,

Q1. Would it be safe to assume if it worked on the C80 mentioned there that it would work on the Axiom?
A1. Unfortunately, this is not a tested configuration and as such no promises can made. However, should this solution have provided calibrated NMEA 2000 trim tab data for a prior generation of Raymarine MFD supporting NMEA 2000 trim tabs, then I see no reason to believe that it should not work for a MFD running LightHouse 3 software.

Q2. Also, If I were to put an LMF 200 in the system, calibrate the tabs, then remove the LMF 200, would that calibration stay in the "system" or does it go away with the LMF 200?
A2. I believe that the calibration remains persistent within the NMEA 2000 sensors. Similar NMEA 2000 trim tab calibration had been provided within the E-Series Widescreen MFDs. Some dealers had retained one of these MFDs to calibrate trim tabs and upon completion, the E-Series Widescreen MFD would then be removed from the system to permit the NMEA 2000 trim tabs to then be used with the Raymarine MFD designs which had followed the E-Series Widescreen MFDs.