Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Raycontrol
08-02-17, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-29-19 09:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Raycontrol
Raycontrol working pretty well on Galaxy s2 tab. View and control with latest app update.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-17, 09:14 AM
RE: Raycontrol
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Lighty,

Thanks for the feedback. While we were aware that the updated Raymarine apps had been uploaded to the Apple Store and to the Google Play Store, we were not aware that they had yet be posted. We're glad to learn that you have had success in using the updated apps.
08-02-17, 12:35 PM
Raycontrol was the only one with an update available as of yesterday.
08-02-17, 02:39 PM
Rayview and Rayremote have both now been updated from playstore but have not tested.
08-04-17, 08:58 PM
RayView available today for apple. RayControl not yet.
08-14-17, 11:11 AM
All,

Raymarine updated the RayControl app on Apple's App Store during the morning of 14 August 2017. The latest version from Apple's App Store is v1.3.8 and has a date of 10 August 2017.
10-05-17, 03:41 PM
I downloaded latest Raycontrol app from Apple today (10-5-17). I updated axiom 9 with the lastest firmware.

I am not sure I understand the Raycontrol app. It seems to function solely as a simulated hand held remote only??? Is this correct?

There is a screen view, but it simply mirrors the MFD... it does not have the same touch controls to control the mfd, is this correct? ie, from the home screen, I cannot select the chart icon and have the MFD switch to chart view.... I can only use the "remote control" screen, then use the dial to select "chart" then use the button on my phone to select "ok"....

If this is correct, I can only really use the Raycontrol app to control the MFD when I can see the MFD, and cannot use the app to control from a second location, such as in the cabin.

Hopefully I am doing something wrong. Any input appreciated.
10-06-17, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-17 09:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Owen,

It is recommended that you verify that you have configured the MFD's Mobile App Access configuration item to REMOTE CONTROL. After having done so, the RayControl mobile app will function identically to the MFD with respect to controlling the MFD via the tablet. Simply touch the screen of the iPad or Android tablet as you would the Axiom MFD to remotely control the Axiom MFD. With respect to smartphones, the RayRemote app is actually more effective as a viewer of the MFD's screen, as RayRemote's keypad screen and the streamed image of the MFD's screen cannot be simultaneously viewed on the smartphone. RayRemote has better application with a MFD having it's video output interfaced to a TV or monitor as one would interact with a TV remote. RayRemote should not be used with tablets.

The Wi-Fi communications range will vary with each vessel due to the materials which the vessel has been constructed from and any interference of the electrical / electro-mechanical devices between the MFD and the tablet. Commonly available third party Wi-Fi extenders may address situations where the MFD's Wi-Fi range is insufficient. Should you believe that there may be an issue with your MFD's Wi-Fi communications circuitry (typically tested by attempting to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot (ex. marina, home, phone, etc.) then it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
10-06-17, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback Chuck. I want to make sure I get the functionality correct as I sell these along side Garmin, Lowrance, Humminbird, Simrad and B&G... Axiom is a leading contender for my own purchase in the near future.

(10-06-17 09:27 AM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  It is recommended that you verify that you have configured the MFD's Mobile App Access configuration item to REMOTE CONTROL.
I have done so.

(10-06-17 09:27 AM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  After having done so, the RayControl mobile app will function identically to the MFD with respect to controlling the MFD via the tablet. Simply touch the screen of the iPad or Android tablet as you would the Axiom MFD to remotely control the Axiom MFD.
As stated in my original post, my test was conducted using an iPhone.

(10-06-17 09:27 AM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  With respect to smartphones, the RayRemote app is actually more effective as a viewer of the MFD's screen, as RayRemote's keypad screen and the streamed image of the MFD's screen cannot be simultaneously viewed on the smartphone.
If using just to view streamed image of the MFD, wouldn't the better choice be RayView?

(10-06-17 09:27 AM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  RayRemote should not be used with tablets.
Why not? isn't this directly contrary to your quote above which states "...the RayControl mobile app will function identically to the MFD with respect to controlling the MFD via the tablet. "??

Thanks again!
10-06-17, 12:47 PM
Owen,

Q1. As stated in my original post, my test was conducted using an iPhone.
A1. You specified that you downloaded and ran the RayControl app. The RayControl app is not designed for use with smartphones ... RayRemote is designed for use with smartphones, but will have the limitations specified within my prior response. For those seeking to have the MFD's screen streamed to the device and be able to interact with the remotely with the MFD in the same way as one would with the MFD itself, then it would be necessary to utilize a tablet running the RayControl app.

Q2. If using just to view streamed image of the MFD, wouldn't the better choice be RayView?
A2. Should you only be interested in streaming the MFD's screen image to the smartphone, then the RayView app would be applicable to the mobile device. However, if desiring to remotely control a MFD via a smartphone in the manner described within my initial response, then the RayRemote app would be applicable. It is important to understand that the Raymarine Mobile Apps are also applicable to Wi-Fi equipped Raymarine MFDs having video interfaces which are not found within Axiom MFDs (i.e. e/eS/gS-Series MFDs and Axiom Pro MFDs).

Q3. Why (should RayRemote) not be used with tablets? isn't this directly contrary to your quote above which states "...the RayControl mobile app will function identically to the MFD with respect to controlling the MFD via the tablet. "??
A3. See the response to Q1 within this post. The RayControl and RayView apps are both designed for tablets. RayRemote does not feature the touchscreen interface emulating that of Raymarine's Axiom, Axiom Pro, and a/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, while the RayControl app does. As indicated above RayView may also be viewed with smartphones as well and would be used in applications where the operator would have no intended abilities to remotely control the MFD. As RayControl is not designed to display the button controls of RayRemote, users of RayControl running on a tablet will be able to simultaneously view and control their MFDs, as they would with Raymarine's Axiom, Axiom Pro, and a/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs.