Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS (and other data) to computer via USB
08-05-17, 01:28 PM
AIS (and other data) to computer via USB
I have just installed an AIS 650 transceiver, and all seems to be working correctly on my eS98 display.

I also have a secondary navigation system on a computer (Open CPN) that also seems to be functioning properly, but I would like to simplify the wiring.

CURRENT CONFIGURATION
=================
Shipmodul Miniplex-lite USB connection to the computer. The Miniplex receives data as follows:

AIS Data . . . the 38400 baud pair on the AIS650 power cable is connected directly to the 38400 baud connectors on the Miniplex.

Other Data . . . NMEA 4800 connection on the Miniplex from a Raymarine E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA Interface connected to SeaTalk1. The Interface box has Seatalk1 connected to the spare SeaTalk1 connection on our Smartpilot. The Smartpilot is connected to a "SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter kit".

PROPOSED CONFIGURATION
==================
I'd like to remove the Miniplex and the PC/SeaTalk/NMEA Interface. The replacement would be an Actisense SeaTalkng to USB converter connected to the NG backbone and computer.

My question . . . will this do the same job as my current configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Robert
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-17, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-17 07:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: AIS (and other data) to computer via USB
Robert,

It is indeed quite possible that a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 to USB adapter may achieve the end which you are seeking, as all system data should be available via the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. However, the computer navigational software application would need to support NMEA 2000.
08-16-17, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-17 07:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for reviewing my proposed system configuration. FYI, after a number of phone calls I have ordered an NGW-1-USB rather than the NGT-1-USB I thought was correct. This has to do more with OpenCPN (my PC software) that will not read NMEA2000 but requires NMEA0803. After it arrives I also must "flash" it's memory for proper AIS use.

I'll post an update as a reply when it is in and (hopefully) working. Might save others some research time.

Robert
08-21-17, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-17 03:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The NGW-1-USB flashed to the AIS firmware worked perfectly.
08-21-17, 03:27 PM
Noted.