Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom 9 Won't Render Charts in Full Resolution with Tides Overlay Selected
08-07-17, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-17 10:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Axiom 9 Won't Render Charts in Full Resolution with Tides Overlay Selected
Our Axiom 9 Won't Render Navionics+ charts in full resolution with Tides overlay Selected from the Overlays menu in the Chart App. The unit is an
Axiom 9 E70366 w/ LH3 V3.1.96, Navionics+ Charts selected, chart card size for local sailing area <70MB. After selecting the Tides overlay in the Chart App, a low resolution chart will sometimes render, but will not be completely updated to the normal, high resolution chart. Some additional detail is in the four slides below. Dan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-17, 06:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-17 10:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Axiom 9 Won't Render Charts in Full Resolution with Tides Overlay Selected
Note: Since my original post on 8/7/17, I have refreshed my Navionics+ chart card with updated maps of my area and the file size is around 110MB. Same issue remains. Add the system diagram as well as an attachment.
Dan

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1250]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1251]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1252]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1253]
08-24-17, 02:09 PM
Dan,

We have been unable to duplicate the reported issue here. Please perform a System Settings Reset and not any configuration settings which you then modify from the corresponding default value and then attempt to duplicate the problem.

Thanks
08-28-17, 08:48 AM
Chuck,

“System Settings Reset” has fixed the issue of incomplete refresh but refresh with Tides layer on is still slow.
The Chart app using Navionics+ standard or Sonar charts) is still slow when the Tides overlay is active with no settings modified after the System Settings Reset. Refresh of the full screen still occurs in sections and can take 3-7+ seconds to complete, slow enough to allow a screen capture of the low res/high res chart build during the refresh (see ScreenShot46 – and note this was after turning off chart features like roads, land features, etc.). Refresh is always near instantaneous with Tides overlay off. By refresh, I mean selecting the Chart app from the home screen (worst case) or zooming the chart. I noted that when pressing the soft zoom ” +” or “-“ button on the Chart app, at about 2 times per second, the MFD zooms and refreshes the screen instantly after each press with Tides overly off, but the MFD does not keep up with the rapid key presses when Tides layer is on.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1261]

Found Reason for Apparent Low Resolution Charts
The Navionics+ charts appear to be partially rasterized but with crisp vector overlays. As I zoom in, some of the chart becomes fuzzy (a raster image) until the next chart is loaded and it looks crisp. It’s about 11-14 “+” or “-” zoom soft button presses between resolution changes. (ScreenShot24) to the next higher resolution (ScreenShot25). This is why I thought the chart looked like it was sometimes rendered in low res with the Tides overlay on. It truly depends upon where you are in the zoom sequence, independent of the Tides overly.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1262]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1263]

User Settings Restored and Apps Customized - Chart Refreshes Properly (just slow with Tides on)
I set my preferences from the Advanced cartography menu, customized the apps, and the MFD still completed the refresh properly with the Tides overly selected. Refresh was still nearly instantaneous with Tides off.

A Button Sequence to Stop a Chart Build
With my chart settings preferences restored, I downloaded a smaller section of Navionics+ charts (49MB). The refresh issue with Tides On did not change. But upon selecting the Chart app from the main menu, the chart build stopped (see ScreenShot003 below) when I pressed the “…” in the Data Sidebar while the chart was building. The small pop over that allows Data 2 to be selected seemed to stop the chart building. The small pop over timed out while I made the screen capture. The chart rendered fully after touching the screen. I was able to do
that twice.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1264]

Thanks for the “System Settings Reset” idea. I can try any other settings suggestions as well. I don’t mind re-entering my preferences and app customization. I tried to attach the system log but at 33MB in size it was rejected.
Dan
08-29-17, 02:39 PM
Dan,

Per our phone conversation, we have been unable to duplicate the problem using our Navionics+ chart cards. I would recommend that the Chart card be tested within another Axiom MFD which has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update as a fault isolation measure. This may be down with the assistance of your dealer or by sending the Navionics+ chart card to my attention via Raymarine’s Product Repair Center. Should the problem be duplicated within another Axiom MFD, then it would be recommended that Navionics (508-291-6000) be contacted concerning the reported issue to seek a replacement Navionics+ chart card. However, should the problem not be able to be duplicated with another MFD, then the fault would appear to be rooted within your MFD and it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
08-31-17, 07:38 PM
A brief update: I was getting the "Windows needs to scan this drive to make repairs" each time I placed the chart card in the reader to download "freshest data". Navionics said to let Windows scan and repair. Of course no errors were found by the scan. Next Navionics walked me through performing a "Quick" format of the chart card and then how to reactivate the card to download the charts. Will know by Monday if this had any effect on performance.

Q. Should my Navionics card (SD or uSD 8GB) work in another RM MFD that runs a recent version (17-19) of Lighthouse II? If so I might be able to try it in more than one.
Thanks
Dan
09-01-17, 08:25 AM
Dan,

As I regularly see the same message and have not experienced the reported problem, I don't expect that the Quick Format will correct the reported problem. However, it would be great to learn if it indeed does.

Q. Should my Navionics card (SD or uSD 8GB) work in another RM MFD that runs a recent version (17-19) of Lighthouse II?
A. Yes.
11-03-17, 03:09 PM
Chuck -
Per your recommendation in this thread, I am returning my Axiom MFD next week.
Q1. Should I include the Navionics+chart card ?
Q2. If your recommend returning the card, I only have Nautical charts for a limited portion of the Chesapeake Bay loaded. Do I need to load a larger area that includes your location in CT?
Thanks
Dan
11-03-17, 03:35 PM
Dan,

I would indeed recommend sending the chart card along with the MFD. I would leave the chart card populated with the cartography with which you demonstrated the problem. That said, it would be very odd to populate the chart card with such a small amount of cartography. Before sending the MFD and card in, you may want to consider using the Navionics Chart Installer's erase charts feature, populate the chart card with the nautical and sonar charts for the entire mid-Atlantic region, and then test the chart card again with your MFD. Should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that both the MFD and chart card be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
11-03-17, 07:07 PM
Ok Chuck. I'll post a result by Monday.
Thanks,
Dan