Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS location fix for Dragonfly 5 Pro
08-15-17, 12:23 AM
GPS location fix for Dragonfly 5 Pro
My Dragonfly 5 Pro has difficulties establishing a location fix. It is mounted on the console of a RIB, so there is nothing above the unit. Most of the time, it has difficulties establishing a fix when initially turned on. It does not seem to matter with actual location. I have used it in different areas, many miles apart, in the city, in wide open water or in bays of islands. Sometimes it will not find the location even after an hour or more of it being on. Often, I have to physically move the chart to the locating I am at, reset GPS in the settings and then it will pick up the satellites and obtain a location, sometimes nothing would happen. I have done this in conjunction with my Android phone and Android tablet and in all cases, the phone and/or tablet would pick up the location within 10 to 20 seconds. Am I doing something wrong with the unit? Should I consider getting an external antenna (if there is such a thing)? Otherwise the unit works well. The GPS issue is quite annoying.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-17, 10:35 AM
RE: GPS location fix for Dragonfly 5 Pro
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum fcjchiu,

Q1. Am I doing something wrong with the unit?
A1. Negative. Based upon the symptoms reported, it appears that the display's GPS receiver is failing. Accordingly, it is recommended that the display be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

A2. Should I consider getting an external antenna (if there is such a thing)? Otherwise the unit works well.
A2. Unfortunately, this is not an option for Dragonfly displays, as they only feature a fishfinder transducer/power communications interface. See the recommendation above.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply