Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AST SG2 and E127
03-16-16, 01:43 PM
AST SG2 and E127
I have an AST SG2 smart pilot with a ST6002 controller.

I connected my wind and depth and speed instruments to the controller and then to the autopilot.

The SG2 is connected to my E127 via an ST to STng converter.

All worked fine

I recently updated the software and firmware for the E127 and the ST to STng converter using the A, C, E, G software update package.

Afterwards I could see the instrument data on my MFD but I could no longer control the autopilot from the MFD.

On the advice of the phone tech desk at Raymarine I,

1. restored the MFD to factory defaults
--- no effect

and then

2. carefully programmed the device using the operating manual instructions to control the autopilot.

--- still no effect

Questions:

1. Does anyone have any idea what the problem can be?
2. If there is no immediate solution other than sending the SG2 into Raymarine, is there a way to program waypoints into the ST6002 controller?

Thanks,

GaySailorBill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-16, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-16 03:21 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: AST SG2 and E127
Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Bill,

It is not possible to enter data (waypoints, GPS data, etc.) into the user interface of the an autopilot control head.

It is recommended that you verify the following:
- that the Heading (not COG) Databox data item is populated with heading data ... if so, the MFD and autopilot are communicating with one another

- that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has been updated with v2.01 or later SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DIAGNOSTICS->SELECT DEVICE)

- that the SeaTalk bus is being exclusively powered via the SeaTalkng backbone. Specifically, verify that the red lead of the SeaTalk cable which has been connected to the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port has not been connected to the port's red terminal ... instead, this lead should be insulated to prevent shorting. The final test would be to ensure that the SeaTalk bus remains unpowered after all marine electronics circuits have been switched ON and the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable has been unplugged from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Conveter

- that the MFD's Autopilot Control feature (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->EXTERNAL DEVICES->PILOT CONTROL) and Pilot Bar have been configured to ON.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply