Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem With Wind Depth Transducers on SeatalkNG
08-29-17, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-17 07:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Problem With Wind Depth Transducers on SeatalkNG
All,

I have been having a several year problem with SeatalkNG Wind and Depth transducers. I have replaced and read everything and still more problems.

The wind speed and depth readings are intermittent. I had ST70's which I replaced with i70s instruments after having replaced literally everything else including the transducer cables, still the same problem. I am on a second ITC-5 and the problem has gotten worse, now one of the i70s instruments won't show anything.

I have a seatalkNG network with an E120 and E80 connected to a sea talk to seatalkng converter. The ITC-5 is on the seatalkNG network and also two i70s instruments, an ST70 instrument, and an AIS 650.

Why would one i70s display dashes and the other right next to it work fine? They are both connected through spurs to a sea talk to seatalkng converter.

Why is the wind speed and depth sometimes ok, and sometimes intermittent.

All voltages have been checked and are fine.

The entire seatalkng system at this point is new.

Please help me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-17, 09:43 AM
RE: Problem With Wind Depth Transducers on SeatalkNG
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum olesenrl,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to troubleshoot intermittent or failing SeaTalkng communications. Please click here to view a FAQ providing the pinouts for SeaTalkng Backbone and Spur Cables. Faulty SeaTalkng networking components, although very rare in systems featuring unmodified SeaTalkng networking components, may similarly be fault isolated by substituting components with operational components. The most common cause for SeaTalkng network communications failure is a SeaTalkng cable which has not been fully seated in the device or networking component's socket and/or failure to rotate the socket's locking ring into the locked position.

From your problem description, the marine electronics system appears to be limited following components:

- MFD's: E80, E120 - these devices should not be interfaced to the SeaTalkng Backbone via the SeaTalk socket of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Instead, the Data Master MFD's SeaTalkng port (When updated with v5.69 E-Series Classic MFD software, the E-Series Classic MFDs would then be deemed to be SeaTalkng devices). Please verify that both MFDs have been updated with v5.69 software. At that point the Data Master MFD should be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and should instead be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone via an A06061 E-Series Classic MFD to SeaTalkng Spur Cable. With the exception of the AIS650, the software within all other devices having a SeaTalkng communications interface is designed to be updated by the system's Data Master MFD.

- iTC-5: Verify that the iTC-5 has been installed as a backbone component, not as a spur to the backbone. As with all devices having a SeaTalkng communications interface, it is recommended that you verify that it is been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update. The software versions of products which have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone may be determined via the command sequence MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT SYSTEM from an i70 MFID. This same command sequence may be used to verify communications between devices on the SeaTalkng backbone.

- i70 MFIDs (2): One of the i70 MFIDs will function as the Data Master and any other i70 MFIDs within the system will simply repeat data from within the system. Please see the command sequence above to verify communications between the i70 MFIDs and the other devices on the SeaTalkng backbone as well. Should one of the i70 MFIDs not be communicating with the other devices within the SeaTalkng backbone, then its software version may be determined via the command sequence MENU->SET-UP->DIAGNOSTICS->ABOUT DISPLAY). If each i70 MFID has been updated with the latest software and one of them is not communicating with the other devices within the system, it is first recommended that the MFD be reset (MENU->SET-UP->FACTORY RESET) and that it then be tested again. Should the problem persist, then the fault may be rooted within the i70 MFID's SeaTalkng communications circuitry or within one of the SeaTalkng networking components. By disconnecting the SeaTalkng spur cable from the problematic i70 MFID and then connecting then substituting the operational i70 MFID in its place, the problem may be fault isolated. Should this fault isolation indicate a problem with the i70 MFID, then it should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.

ST70: it is unclear whether you are referring to a ST70 MFID or to a ST70 Autopilot Control Head. Irrespective of which of these displays is involved, the prior requirement to ensure that it has been updated with the latest software does apply. It was also suggested by one of the team that after satisfying the other points within this thread and should the problem persist thereafter that the ST70 be disconnected from the system and that the system then be tested again.

AIS650: see prior comment regarding software updates. The AIS650 is designed to be updated via a SD memory card through it's SD memory card reader slot

Wind Transducer: After addressing the SeaTalkng networking, software, and troubleshooting points raised above, should the neither MFD detect wind, then the indicative of a faulty cable splice, cable failure, failure with of the wind transducer, or failure within the iTC-5. We have had a limited number of customers report that moving the wind transducer's bare lead from the silver Wind Transducer terminal of the to the silver terminal of the iTC-5's speed or depth transducer positions corrected such intermittent wind issues.
The wind transducer cable may be tested by disconnecting the masthead and then performing a continuity test to check for both continuity and to ensure that no shorts (continuity sensed on more than one pin of the masthead mount) are detected. Should the cable test not identify any faults, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test the masthead. Should the masthead testing not indicate a fault with the masthead, then the fault may be rooted in the iTC-5. Should the cable have failed, then it should be replaced. Should the masthead have failed and it has been purchased within the last 30 days, then it should be returned to the dealer or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.then it would be recommended that a Factory Reset be commanded to both i70 MFIDs and to the ST70 MFID (assumed). Should the problem persist thereafter.

Depth transducer: Unlike fishfinding products, the iTC-5 will not detect a Depth transducer source unless the transducer is able to receive bottom echoes. Such detection would require the boat be located in the water and that there be at least 3' of water beneath the transducer. Instrument depth transducers and most fishfinding depth transducers will not sense bottom echoes should the vessel be located out of the water.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply