Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dragonfly 5 series questions please
08-23-17, 12:50 PM
dragonfly 5 series questions please
for use in salt water

- what is the power consumption for:(preferably in amps per hour)
- the 5 DVS
- the 5 PRO

- can or in the future will the WIFI feature on the 5 PRO be able to be turned off?

-Raymarine policy and repair turn around times on after warranty service in the dragonfly 5 series

- if I want to learn more in depth info than the manual gives me on how to get the MOST out of the dragonfly 5 fishfinding features and how to use / understand them where can I get this info
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-17, 01:55 PM
RE: dragonfly 5 series questions please
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mtnbowhunter,

Q1a: what is the power consumption for:(preferably in amps per hour) of the 5 DVS?
A1a: 4.7 W RMS; 0.39A @12VDC

Q1b: what is the power consumption for:(preferably in amps per hour) of the 5 PRO?
A1b: 5.3 W RMS; 0.44A @12VDC

Q2: can or in the future will the WIFI feature on the 5 PRO be able to be turned off?
A2: The Wi-Fi communications interface of Dragonfly products cannot be switched OFF. A feature request may be submitted to consider this feature for inclusion within future Dragonfly products.

Q3: Raymarine policy and repair turn around times on after warranty service in the dragonfly 5 series
A3: 1 year warranty; Typical repair time is 7-10 business days

Q4. if I want to learn more in depth info than the manual gives me on how to get the MOST out of the dragonfly 5 fishfinding features and how to use / understand them where can I get this info
A4. Thorough review of the corresponding Installation and Operations Guide. You may also want to seek out YouTube videos addressing Dragonfly and/or DownVision for such tips. In the end, regular on-water experience combined with prior knowledge of the waters being searched may end up being the greatest aid in understanding the product.
08-27-17, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-17 10:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
-is it true that if you register your dragonfly with Raymarine they will add another 2 yrs of warranty for a total of 3 yrs warranty??

- is there a sun screen that is available that will work with the NON flush mount stock mounting system? - when I was asking about a sun cover / screen for the dragonfly 5 stock mount I was referring to a cover which would help with viewing the screen details in very bright sunlight

- is the dragonfly 5 DVS software upgradeable of the internet at home??

- what is the last update put out that applies to the dragonfly 5DVS??
08-28-17, 10:24 AM
mtnbowhunter,

Q1. is it true that if you register your dragonfly with Raymarine they will add another 2 yrs of warranty for a total of 3 yrs warranty?
A1. The offer which you have referenced is not applicable to Dragonfly products. Dragonfly products include a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.

Q2. is there a sun screen that is available that will work with the NON flush mount stock mounting system? - when I was asking about a sun cover / screen for the dragonfly 5 stock mount I was referring to a cover which would help with viewing the screen details in very bright sunlight.
A2. Dragonfly displays are designed to be daylight view-able and feature anti-reflective coatings. Accordingly, Raymarine does not offer such sun shades.

Q3. is the dragonfly 5 DVS software upgradeable of the internet at home?
A3. Dragonfly software may be downloaded from the Internet to a computer where it may then be copied to a microSD memory card. The microSD memory card would then need to be inserted into the Dragonfly Display's microSD memory card reader to update the product's software. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing powering a Dragonfly product at home.

Q4. what is the last update put out that applies to the dragonfly 5DVS?
A4. Dragonfly software updates are applicable to all models of Dragonfly displays. The software history for Dragonfly displays and the latest Dragonfly display software update may be found here.
08-28-17, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-17 01:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
does the dragonfly 5 DVs come with a written comprehensive paper manual?
08-28-17, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-17 01:37 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
mtnbowhunter,

Like most marine electronics devices, Raymarine MFDs and Dragonfly products are package with a quick start guide. Detailed operational guides may be accessed/downloaded from the manufacturer's website. The detailed operations guides for Raymarine products may be viewed and downloaded here. Paper copies of Raymarine product guides may be obtained here.
08-30-17, 09:05 PM
- is it possible to get the dimensions of the bottom (where it touches the boat) of the base that the dragonfly sit in?

- does Raymarine sell refurbished units?
08-31-17, 09:09 AM
mtnbowhunter,

Q1. Is it possible to get the dimensions of the bottom (where it touches the boat) of the base that the dragonfly sit in?
A1. Dragonfly displays may be either bracket mounted or may be surface mounted. The diameter of the base of the ball mount is 3-3/8". The other dimensional data for the Dragonfly displays may be found within the appendices of the Dragonfly Installation and Operation Guide. This guide and the the surface mounting template may be found here.

Q2. Does Raymarine sell refurbished units?
A2. Occasionally ... any remanufactured products may be found on the Raymarine Store's web pages.
09-07-17, 12:46 PM
Is there any difference other than software updates on early issue dragonfly 5 dvs versus the 2017 models / version??

Does varying screen brightness have much effect in power consumption??

How about power usage when running dual screen sonar and down vision versus single screen?
09-08-17, 08:04 AM
mtnbowhunter,

Q1. Is there any difference other than software updates on early issue dragonfly 5 dvs versus the 2017 models / version??
A1. No.

Q2. Does varying screen brightness have much effect in power consumption??
A2. The display's backlighting is responsible for approximately 50% of its power consumption. Accordingly, adjustments to its backlighting level will affect its power consumption. Raymarine has only produced power consumption specifications for the full brightness backlighting level.

Q3. How about power usage when running dual screen sonar and down vision versus single screen?
A3. See the response to Q2 ... the remaining percentage of power consumption reflects both sonar features being simultaneously in use. Raymarine has not specified power consumption for DownVision alone or for CHIRP (conical) Sonar alone.