Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
raymarine networking options
09-18-17, 04:53 PM
raymarine networking options
Please let me know what I need to order to connect the following:
Currently, there is a Fusion BB100 receiver and a Fusion NRX300 remote- these are now connected together using NEMA 2000 connection and work fine, but, I would like to accomplish the following:

1- Add in my Raymarine e78 display to the network.
(is there a simple adapter that will allow me to connect the e78's black / white spur cable to the NEMA 2000 network that are installed now?)

ADDITIONALLY- IF POSSIBLE:
2- IF POSSIBLE- add in my old school furuno radar that has a NEMA 0183 CONNECTION ON BACK. (its a male connector on back- 4 prongs).

Thank you for the help.

Capt Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-17, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-17 08:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: raymarine networking options
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

As Raymarine has never produced a product having the name e78, it may be that you actually own an eS78 MFD.

Q1. Currently, there is a Fusion BB100 receiver and a Fusion NRX300 remote- these are now connected together using NEMA 2000 connection and work fine, but, add in my Raymarine e78 display to the network.
(is there a simple adapter that will allow me to connect the e78's black / white spur cable to the NEMA 2000 network that are installed now?)

A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Fusion products feature NMEA 2000 networking components designed with DeviceNet Micro-C male and female connectors. Should the currently installed NMEA 2000 backbone feature an unused spur socket having a DeviceNet Micro-C Female connector, then an A06076 / 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet Male to SeaTalkng Spur Cable or A06046 / 59.1in (1.5m) DeviceNet Male may be used to mate the Data Master MFD's SeaTalkng port to the NMEA 2000 backbone's unused spur socket.

Q2. ADDITIONALLY- IF POSSIBLE:
2- IF POSSIBLE- add in my old school furuno radar that has a NEMA 0183 CONNECTION ON BACK. (its a male connector on back- 4 prongs).
A2. You may want to consider using a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 200 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO, etc.) to interface your third party NMEA 0183 device to the NMEA 2000 backbone.
09-19-17, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-17 11:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
THANKS AS ALWAYS CHUCK!! Please tell me, IF I do install this interface (actisense) what info would be shared between the radar (furuno) and my es78?
09-19-17, 11:17 AM
dmahler,

Q. IF I do install this interface (actisense) what info would be shared between the radar (furuno) and my es78?
A. It is recommended that you review the list of supported data conversions supported by the Actisense NGW-1 to determine what data will be bridged between the NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183 devices.
09-19-17, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-17 02:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
ok, I now have the es78 connected to the fusion bb100. the fusion display shows "waiting - check for network connections". is there something I need to set on the es78 that will tell it to share data with the fusion bb100? if so, where in the system... I treied my data, and setup, but nothing seemed to work. thanks, dave
09-19-17, 03:40 PM
dmahler,

With respect to the MFD, nothing need be done to the MFD other than
- ensure that the MFD(s) have been updated with v19.03 software
- ensure that the Data Master MFD (as opposed to any non-Data Master MFDs in the system) has been interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to which the Fusion components have also been interfaced as spurs.

No configuration settings should then be need on the MFD except if more than one Fusion source is present within the NMEA 2000 backbone. In the case of the latter, the operator would then need to run the Fusion app within the MFD's software and select which Fusion source the app will interface with.
09-20-17, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-17 09:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
HI Chuck,
Thanks for the info.... I tried this, however, after review of the Fusion info on the Raymarine manual page 352 of the es78 book, it seems that the Fusion BB100, can only connect to nema200, not seatalk????
Is that the reason that the es78 cannot find any fusion system when I went into setup?
I currently have the es78 connected to the nema 2000 network that is supporting the Fusion BB100 receiver, the fusion bluetooth controller, and the fusion nvx300 remote.
when I plug the es78 into the network, the fusion not only will not show up on the es78, but, the fusion system will not turn off. I can only get it to go off if I unplug the cable (RAYMARINE 66105 stng to devicenet female adapter).
Do I need to use the "network" connection on the back of the es78 instead of the seatalkng connection?
If so, what cable do I need?
Thanks,
09-21-17, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-17 09:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dave,

As you have indicated, the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD must be interfaced to Fusion's BB100 via NMEA 2000 communications. Ethernet communications between Raymarine a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs and Fusion audio products is only supported in conjunction with Fusions 7xx Series Stereo head units. SeaTalkng is an extension of the NMEA 2000 protocol and NMEA 2000 backbones may be constructed from CAN networking components produced by Raymarine, Fusion, Maretron, Lowrance, and others. As indicated within the FAQ referenced within my initial response, the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD should be updated with the latest software (v19.03 at the time of this response) when interfacing with compatible Fusion and Rockford Fosgate audio systems having a NMEA 2000 communications interface. It is further recommended that the NMEA 2000 backbone be powered by a single 12VDC power insertion located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load ... rather than being powered by the audio product. As indicated within the previously referenced FAQ, the Fusion offers the CAB000863 unpowered spur cable which is designed to not pass power to the NMEA 2000 backbone. It is recommended that you verify that the Fusion audio components have been updated with the latest software. Finally, it is imperative you ensure that the NMEA 2000 backbone features two (no more, no less) 120 ohm resistor plugs (known as termination plugs) and that one plug has been installed within the backbone sockets forming both ends of the backbone.

Should you have addressed the items specified within this response, then it may be possible that the MFD has suffered a failure of its SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications circuitry and it would be recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
09-28-17, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-17 07:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, ok, so the Fusion units are all updated to current level, as is the ES-78. I now need 1 more space in the network to plug in the ES-78. I currently have (2) T connectors, and there is only 1 terminator. (the connections consist of 1 for the fusion bb100, 1 for the fusion nvx300 remote, and 1 for the 12v power connector. the system works fine with this set up, but... I now need to add in the ES-78. Question: is there a limit to the number of the T connectors I can have, since, it seems that according to your info- i now need to add 2 more T connectors, and terminate the end with a terminator plug. OR- Is there a unit that can give me 4 st connections - 1 of them being power? Thanks, Dave
09-29-17, 08:03 AM
Dave,

You have elected to create your NMEA 2000 backbone from third party component rather than Raymarine components. Accordingly, it is recommended that continue to use the third party networking components to complete your backbone. You are well under the maximum number of spur sockets permissible within a NMEA 2000 backbone. Finally, you will need to ensure that the backbone which will be created features two termination plugs per my prior response.