Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] 400G AST, ST6001+ auto pilot system malfunctioning
09-19-17, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] 400G AST, ST6001+ auto pilot system malfunctioning
My Island Packet 420, displacement 38000 lbs, has 2004 vintage Raymarine electronics, including an RL80C plotter, 400G AST course computer, ST6001+ A/P control head and a Type 2 long linear drive.

Over the past couple of years the auto pilot system has been playing up intermittently, but not consistently. Initially, about 2 years back, the system would jump from auto to standby with no alarm. It still does this, but now, when in Track mode, the auto pilot will, on occasion, start wandering off course. The frequency of these symptoms can vary from several times in a day to maybe only once every 2 or 3 days, both of these during long, multi-day passages.

I have checked power supply connections and for adequate voltage - these appeared to be OK.

It is probably time to upgrade the autopilot side of my electronics.
I think that the appropriate new equipment would include an EV-1 course computer, a P70S control head and an ACU-400 actuator control unit.

I have a couple of questions/requests for clarification:

1) would this new equipment interface with the RL80C?
If so, can the new equipment be hooked directly into SeaTalk, or would they need to go through a Seattle/SeaTalkNG converter?

2) My read of the 2016 Forum post entitled "Replacement for a ST6xxx, ST7xxx, or ST8xxx AutoPilot control head" is that a current generation Control Head could work with some earlier generation Course Computers. Does this work in reverse? That is, would an EV-1 be compatible with an ST60001+?

3)If the answer to 2) is yes, if I purchase an EV-1, is the ACU-400 also required, or can the EV-1 operate off my existing ACU (if I indeed have one)?

thank you for your help with the questions.

Neil Scott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-17, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [DG11] 400G AST, ST6001+ auto pilot system malfunctioning
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Neil,

Q1) I think that the appropriate new equipment would include an EV-1 course computer, a P70S control head and an ACU-400 actuator control unit. Would this new equipment interface with the RL80C?
If so, can the new equipment be hooked directly into SeaTalk, or would they need to go through a Seattle/SeaTalkNG converter?
A1. Indeed the Evolution autopilot may be interfaced to the RL80C and a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit would be required.

Q2) My read of the 2016 Forum post entitled "Replacement for a ST6xxx, ST7xxx, or ST8xxx AutoPilot control head" is that a current generation Control Head could work with some earlier generation Course Computers. Does this work in reverse? That is, would an EV-1 be compatible with an ST60001+?
A2). Should and Evolution autopilot be installed, then the system would need to feature a p70/p70R/p70S/p70RS Autopilot Control Head. Should the vessel feature a second station, then the ST6xxx/ST7xxx/ST7xxx Autopilot Control Head may additionally be interfaced to to the system to support commanding the autopilot into/out of Auto, Track, and Standby modes.

Q3)If the answer to 2) is yes, if I purchase an EV-1, is the ACU-400 also required, or can the EV-1 operate off my existing ACU (if I indeed have one)?
A3) The 400G Autopilot Course Computer combined the functions of course computer and ACU within a single device. It is not possible to simply add the EV-1 CCU alone to your system. The required components would be each of those which you had identified in Q1.
10-15-17, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I am now in the process of installing the ACU400, ev1 and PS70S control head.

Please confirm whether:

1) the existing rudder reference transducer, as previously deployed with the to be retired 400g ast course computer, can remain and be connected to the new ACU-400, or do I need to swap that out for the new one that came with the EV-1/ACU-400/P70S kit?

2) it is sufficient to connect the ACU-400 dedicated drain conductor to the boat’s electrical bonding system, or alternatively to the negative bus at the dc panel? Or can the drain conductor just be jumped to the negative power connection, which essentially leads back to the same dc panel negative bus?

3) will it suffice to connect the EV-1/ACU-400/P70S/RS130 Seatalkng bus to the Seatalk bus via a Seatalkng/Seatalk converter connected to the nearest available Seatalk connected device?

Thanks,

Neil
10-16-17, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Neil,

Q1) the existing rudder reference transducer, as previously deployed with the to be retired 400g ast course computer, can remain and be connected to the new ACU-400, or do I need to swap that out for the new one that came with the EV-1/ACU-400/P70S kit?
A1) should the currently installed rudder reference transducer be operational, then it may indeed be retained for use with the ACU-400

Q2) it is sufficient to connect the ACU-400 dedicated drain conductor to the boat’s electrical bonding system, or alternatively to the negative bus at the dc panel? Or can the drain conductor just be jumped to the negative power connection, which essentially leads back to the same dc panel negative bus?
A2) Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3) will it suffice to connect the EV-1/ACU-400/P70S/RS130 Seatalkng bus to the Seatalk bus via a Seatalkng/Seatalk converter connected to the nearest available Seatalk connected device?
A3) This is indeed satisfactory. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Per the FAQ, please ensure that the SeaTalk bus will be powered only via the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please additionally note the maximum number of SeaTalk devices which a SeaTalk bus may contain for each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter installed within the SeaTalkng backbone. Finally, it is considered to be a best installation practice to power the SeaTalkng backbone from a dedicated switched circuit using a spure located at the approximate midpoint of the backbones LEN load, rather than from an autopilot's ACU / course computer.
10-16-17, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thx again for the speedy response.

Ok, I have run through my existing system.
I have the following Seatalk “spurs” separately connecting to the existing AST400G:
1) depth transducer, seatalked to an i40 depth display, seatalked to an ST60 multidispla, seatalked to the AST400. (By my count = 3 seatalk devices).
2) wind anemometer seatalked to an ST60 wind-display, seatalked to an ST60 multidisplay, seatalked to another ST60 multidisplay, seatalked to the AST400. In addition, these displays are “spur” connected to an L760 mfd (with sonar function disabled). (Would this be 5 devices, including the mfd)
3) an RS130 gps connected to a Seatalkng/Seatalk converter, seatalk connected to the AST400. (No count as this is a Seatalkng device)
4) a Pathfinder radar, linked to an RL80C mfd, seatalked to the ST6001+ A/P controller, seatalked to the AST400. I think that the radar would not count as a Seatalk device. So would this be 1 device, being the RL80C?

So, my thinking is that I could:
- connect “spur” 1) to Seatalkng to Seatalk converter #1
- connect “spur” 2) including L760 mfd to Seatalkng to Seatalk converter #2
- connect “spur” 4) being RL80C only into to Seatalkng to Seatalk converter #3

I would then connect the new ACU400, the new EV-1, the new P70S controller, and the RS130 GPS to 4 of the 6 available Seatalkng slots, blank off the remaining 2 Seatalkng slots, connect the 3 converters with 2 seatalkng backbone cables and blank off either end of the Seatalkng “connector bus”.

Further questions/concerns:
1) Do the separately powered MFD’s/radar contravene the requirement that Seatalk devices connected to a Seatalkng bus must not be powered?
2) how do I check the s/w version for my 1 existing Seatalkng to Seatalk converter?

Apologies for the drawn-out question.
Neil
10-16-17, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Neil,

Q1. So, my thinking is that I could:
- connect “spur” 1) to Seatalkng to Seatalk converter #1
- connect “spur” 2) including L760 mfd to Seatalkng to Seatalk converter #2
- connect “spur” 4) being RL80C only into to Seatalkng to Seatalk converter #3
A1. This appears to be correct.

Q2. I would then connect the new ACU400, the new EV-1, the new P70S controller, and the RS130 GPS to 4 of the 6 available Seatalkng slots, blank off the remaining 2 Seatalkng slots, connect the 3 converters with 2 seatalkng backbone cables and blank off either end of the Seatalkng “connector bus”.
A2. SeaTalkng Blanking Plugs would not be used the backbone's two end sockets. A matching blue colored SeaTalkng Termination Plug will be used for these two sockets.

Q3. Do the separately powered MFD’s/radar contravene the requirement that Seatalk devices connected to a Seatalkng bus must not be powered?
A3. No. As hsb/hsb2 Pathfinder Series Displays are not designed to supply power to a SeaTalk bus via their respective SeaTalk sockets.

Q4. How do I check the s/w version for my 1 existing Seatalkng to Seatalk converter? After the ST-STng Converters and the autopilot control head are installed, then the About System (accessed via the control head's diagnostics menu) will specify the version of software within each device having a SeaTalkng communications interface within the system. As this system does not feature a Raymarine MFD having a SeaTalkng communications interface, you may want to consider requesting that the dealer verify that all SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters (including any that you may now own) and that your autopilot components have all been updated with the latest software before leaving the store.
04-29-18, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Good day,

I finally installed the new autopilot equipment as anticipated in the string of messages preceding this one.

In summary, my existing equipment included:
RL80C MFD
i40 depth instrument
RS130 GPS
3 x ST60 multi displays
ST60 wind display
ST1 to STng converter

The new equipment is as follows:
EV-1 course computer
ACU400
P70S auto pilot head
5 terminal STng connecting block

To a new 5 terminal STng connector block I made the following attachments
Terminal 1 - blue terminal end plug
Terminal 2 - ACU via STng spur connector
Terminal 3 - EV-1 via STng spur connector
Terminal 4 - black blanking plug
Terminal 5 - one end of a STng backbone cable

Then, to the existing ST1 to STng converter block i made the following connections:
Terminal 1 - other end of the STng backbone cable
Terminal 2 - P70S by STng connector spur
Terminal 3 (yellow plug) - RL80C, ST60 multi and wind instruments, I40 depth instrument
Terminal 4 - RS130gps by STng connector spur
Terminal 5 - blue terminal end plug

All seems to work fine including depth and heading information being displayed on the P70S.

HOWEVER, course data from the RL80c is not being found by the P70S. After setting a course on the RL80C, saving it and then selecting follow that course on the RL80C, and then hitting Auto and then track twice on the P70S, the P70S alarms with the No Navigation Data screen.

I have checked all connections - looks to be good.
The P70S “devices found “ list only shows:
Ev-1, acu400, rs130 gps, ST1-STng converter, P70s

How do I resolve this?

Thanks,

Neil Scott
04-30-18, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi nscott54

Please check that the p70, EV1 and ACU have the latest software loaded and then check that manual variation is selected in the p70s to the localvalue.
regards
04-30-18, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Good day Derek. Thanks for the quick response.

How do I check that the software for the 3 devices is at the latest level?

Is it possible for you to advise what the latest releases are for each device so that i can check.

Thanks,

Neil
04-30-18, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-19 10:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi nscott54

The software can be identified in the diagnostics accessed through the P70 control unit menus.

The versions are all viewable through our website at this link here

currently they are as follows . . . .
EV1 2.18
ACU 400 2.23
p70 3.07

regards