Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixed network connections
10-04-17, 03:26 PM
Mixed network connections
I've recently purchased a complete Raymarine suiteto refit my Sea Ray 40' Sundancer. It includes, Axiom 12 with 3D RealVision with a pair of RV-220 transducers, Axiom 7, Evo 400 Autopilot with P70RS head, I70s instrument, Quantum 24 radar and Ray70 VHF Ive attached what I see as the networking and power plan for the setup for your review. I'm not quite sure if I should be interfacing the SeaTalk 5-way connector to the HS5 hub or if I can connect through the NMEA interface on the back of the Axiom 12 with the proper adapter cable. I'm powering the backbone through the Autopilot which will be providing power to the EVO sensor, I70s and P70Rs.
The transducers will not be installed until the next haul-out and I'm temporarily using by ST60 Tridata for depth sounding. Can I use a SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng adapter to provide that data in the meantime...and assume it will be powered by the backbone? I also have an ITC-5 converter and was wondering if the transducer (B744VL Airmar partno# 10-10193-01) which was providing data to my old Garmin 5212 could be used via that route. This would be in lieu of the Tridata....and would just be temporary. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-17, 03:46 PM
RE: Mixed network connections
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum

Q1. I'm not quite sure if I should be interfacing the SeaTalk 5-way connector to the HS5 hub or if I can connect through the NMEA interface on the back of the Axiom 12 with the proper adapter cable.
A1. Your diagram appears to be correct as shown with one possible exception. As shown within your diagram, the Evolution ACU-[censored] would need to supply power to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. Instead, it is considered best practice that the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone be powered by a dedicated switched power circuit.

The SeaTalkng backbone is not designed to be interface the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Instead, you will find a DeviceNet Micro-C (M) plug attached to the MFD's Power/NMEA 2000 Cable. This plug of the Data Master MFD's Power/NMEA 2000 Cable will be connected to an A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter which in turn will be connected to an unoccupied SeaTalkng spur socket within one of the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors shown within your diagram.

Q2. The transducers will not be installed until the next haul-out and I'm temporarily using by ST60 Tridata for depth sounding. Can I use a SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng adapter to provide that data in the meantime...and assume it will be powered by the backbone?
A2. Yes ... and correct.

Q3. I also have an ITC-5 converter and was wondering if the transducer (B744VL Airmar partno# 10-10193-01) which was providing data to my old Garmin 5212 could be used via that route. This would be in lieu of the Tridata....and would just be temporary.
A3. The B744V/B744VL is a product name given by Airmar to a family of transducers, each of a design which is unique to the product that the transducer will be mated to. Should the transducer support 200kHz (recommend contacting Gemeco, Inc. (Airmar’s US distributor (803 693 0777))), then it may be possible to instead connect it to the iTC-5 as long as the system also featured the i70 MFID. Alternatively, the transducer may be interfaced to the ST60 Tridata.
10-04-17, 04:20 PM
Thank you Chuck for the superhuman-ly quick reply. As it turns out, the transducer on the port side is Garmin specific and won't provide the right data to the HTC-5. I'll use the transducer on the starboard side through the Tridata and go with your guidance on doing that.

I've also installed the USB card reader to the Axiom12. Will the Axiom 7 update through the networked Axiom 12...or will I have to do that through the back of the 7 (or temporarily move the cable from the 12)?

Thanks again,
10-05-17, 07:36 AM
mka1957,

Software update files may be accessed by the MFD from a microSD memory card which as been either inserted within the MFD's memory card reader or from a USB reader which has been interfaced to the MFD. Following installation of the v3.2.xx software update, MFDs running LightHouse 3 software were then enable to update peripherals which were in turn designed to be updated from a MFD via .iso files Unfortunately, LightHouse 3 software does not yet support updating compatible peripherals and other compatible MFDs which are designed to be updated via their Ethernet communications interface.