Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragonfly 4 pro wireless question
10-10-17, 07:52 PM
Dragonfly 4 pro wireless question
Can I control the Draginfly on my ipad?. I mean set way points etc from my ipad or is it just a video feed of the Sonar?.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-17, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-17 04:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Dragonfly 4 pro wireless question
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum stoaty,

The Wi-Fish app is strictly designed to support viewing ... control is limited to the display's sonar features. Dragonfly Pro and the original Dragonfly 6 and 7 Displays support waypoint transfer via GPX files stored on an microSD memory card.
10-12-17, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-17 09:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply Chuck. Will I be able to view the DF4 pro's current GPS information on the iPad using Navionics or similar?.

My usage scenario is this. I plan to mount the DF4 pro on a remote control bait boat for carp fishing. I would then use wifi to link to my ipad to view sonar and chart of where my boat is.

I would like to drive the boat out and set a marker/way point then be able to drive the boat back to that waypoint a number of times using the ipad over wifi.

So the question is does the Charting system use the GPS from the iPad to show the current position on the chart or the GPS from the DF 4 pro?.

Would my scenario be possible?.

Thanks in advance
10-12-17, 09:47 AM
stoaty,

While the Wi-Fish app does not support displaying Navionics cartography and sonar imagery from the Dragonfly product simultaneously, the Navionics Boating app does support doing so and will plot the vessel's position within the Navionics boating app if the mobile device can ascertain one's present position. Accordingly, the Navionics boating app could be used to navigate to the desired location. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The Navionics Boating app and Wi-Fish app cannot be run simultaneously.
10-12-17, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-17 03:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your quick reply Chuck.

So essentially I would be running the Navionics app from the DF4 and displaying it on the ipad using Navioncs software over wifi link.

I would have the current GPS location of the DF4(boat) in real time displayed on the iPad with the sonar imaging. I would be stood say 80 yards away from the boat on the lake side.

I imagine if this is the case I would lose a little functionality that the Wi-fish app provides such as being able to rewind and capture photo?..
10-12-17, 03:42 PM
Q1. So essentially I would be running the Navionics app from the DF4 and displaying it on the ipad using Navioncs software over wifi link.
A1. Not quite. The Dragonfly display is only designed to run Dragonfly software. The Wi-Fi settings of the tablet will be configured to connect to the Dragonfly display. The Navionics Boating app will be installed on and run on the tablet.

Q2. I would have the current GPS location of the DF4(boat) in real time displayed on the iPad with the sonar imaging. I would be stood say 80 yards away from the boat on the lake side.
A2. The Navionics Boating app is designed to display fishfinder imagery from the Dragonfly display along with detailed Navionics navigational cartography loaded within the mobile device. The position of the mobile device will be displayed within the Navionics boating app if the mobile device is able to acquire a position fix via its own position sensing circuitry. Should the mobile device be located away from the vessel, then the vessel position plotted within the Navionics boating app will not be that of the vessel, but will instead be that of the mobile device.

Q3. I imagine if this is the case I would lose a little functionality that the Wi-fish app provides such as being able to rewind and capture photo?..
A3. You may want to consider using the iPad's own screen capture feature (i.e. 1) Press the sleep/wake/power button (at the top-right or on top of your device); 2) Press the Home button (below the screen) at the same time as the sleep/wake/power button).
10-12-17, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-17 07:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for your support in clearing this up for me Chuck. A great help.
10-26-17, 11:36 AM
Interesting discussion. I just logged into the forum to ask a similar question.

My iPad is a WiFi only model, so it doesn’t have a built in gps like the wifi&cellular models. I learned this the hard way when I rented a boat and tried to use the iPad for navigation. So I was considering getting a Bluetooth gps that will feed the coordinates to the iPad. But then I thought that perhaps my DF7pro would be able to do the same - send the GPS coordinates via WiFi to the Navionics app running on the iPad. But from Chuck’s reply it doesn’t look like that is the case.

That would be a GREAT addition for future updates. (Not sure if that falls in Raymarine or Navionics lap).
10-26-17, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-17 11:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum SCaveNJ,

Thanks for the product feedback. The feature suggestion would require changes to both the Dragonfly software as well as to that of the Navionics Boating app. A corresponding feature suggestion will be logged accordingly.