Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] i60 True wind not working
01-22-18, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-18 02:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] i60 True wind not working
Nick,

I received your message from 1/15. The problem may be root in the 0.0 STW being reported. Does the problem persist when underway and making way? If so, please attached a second set of photos of the MFD's Data panel and the instruments.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-18, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-18 05:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
I apologize for the late reply.

Yes the problem persisted when underway. I tried two different approaches:
- Started all the instruments at the dock, STW=0, no true wind displayed on the i60. Got under way (STW > 3), still no true wind.

- Left dock before turning on instruments. With way on, turned on all instruments. Still no true wind. Verified on MFD that all relative inputs were present (STW, Heading, apparent wind).

The i60 never seems to "learn" that it has all the information it needs to display true wind. Only a reset of everything makes it work ... occasionally.

Thinking it might be an issue with the ST-STng converter, I actually bought a new one from WM. Same problem.

Based on the forum postings and our private emails I was able to get the fine folks at Starmarine Depot to exchange the i60 for a new one. It should arrive in a couple of days, and I'll let you know if the replacement solves the issue.

Sorry I don't have a picture to send.

Thanks,
Mick
02-08-18, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-18 05:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Mic,

Notes / recommendations regarding your system diagram. In the case of sailing vessels, it is generally recommended that the instrument pod form one end of the system's backbone due to minimize the number cables chased through binacle tubes. Accordingly, the following would have been recommended for this installation:
- the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would have been installed within the instrument pod and would have one termination plug installed within one of its backbone sockets ... this will eliminate the SeaTalk cable which is currently chased down the binacle tube
- an unpowered SeaTalk cable would have been run from the ST4000+'s SeaTalk socket to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
- the i50 instrument would be interfaced to one of the spur sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter ... a 400mm SeaTalkng Spur Cable should suffice
- the i60 instrument would be interfaced to one of the spur sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter ... a 400mm SeaTalkng Spur Cable should suffice
- a 1m SeaTalkng Backbone Cable will be connected to a the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's remaining backbone socket and this backbone cable will then be chased into the MFD's pod ... this single backbone cable replaces the single spur which had previously been chased from below decks into the instrument pod
- a SeaTalkng T-Piece will be connected to the 1m SeaTalkng backbone cable inside of the MFD's pod.
- a SeaTalkng Spur Cable would be used to interface the spur socket of the SeaTalkng T-Piece to the MFD's SeaTalkng socket ... a 400mm SeaTalkng Spur Cable should suffice
- a SeaTalkng Backbone Cable would be connected to the remaining backbone socket of the SeaTalkng T-Piece and will be chased through the binacle tubes below decks ... this replaces the remaining SeaTalkng Spur Cable which had been chased through the binacle tubes.
- the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable will be connected to a SeaTalkng T-Piece, 5-Way Connector, or Inline Coupler, which in turn will be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone cable to which the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter had originally been connected within your diagram.

Finally, it is strongly recommended that SeaTalkng cables not be spliced unless absolutely necessary due challenges in splicing its very small wire. Improper splices may also result in intermittent data communications ... the symptom which we are presently seeking to correct in this installation.

The only other way that I can suggest getting this to work with your ST4000+ would to disconnect the i50 and i60 instruments from the SeaTalkng backbone and instead, daisy chain them to the ST4000+'s second SeaTalk socket. Doing so will effectively cause the i50 and i60 instruments to function as SeaTalk rather than SeaTalkng devices.
03-02-18, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-18 02:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I have done additional troubleshooting. The MFD is not seeing anything on the network. I have swapped out the Sea Talk 3 way for a new one...no impact.
I have tried the discovery mode on the MFD and it doesn't find anything on the network. I even swapped out the Sea Talk Coverter and ran 12v directly to it and connected only the i60 and MFD. Still nothing on the network. I checked continuity on the Spur cable to the MFD and it looked good, what should the spec resistance be? The MFD has seperate power supply and that checks out good too.
I am not sure I understand the autopilot question. Would Autohelm type 100 be an option? for 3 years the system as set up in this configuration worked fine. Then just one day is stopped. It looks to be the network or a connector and not just the wind unit.
03-02-18, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have replaced or confirmed operational every cable and converter in the system. I now have tridata on the MFD. My wind unit is still reading apparent wind, but only dashes for true wind. Neither TW or AW will read on the MFD. Is it possible the i60 isn't talking on the network, but is able to get power? As I said i confirmed the seatalk spur cable that is connected to the i60 is working as i connected it to a backup tridata and the MFD saw that. The issue seems to be specific to the i60 as everything else on the network seems to be talking.
Any ideas on what I can do to further isolate the issue or do i need to have the i60 devise bench tested?
Thanks,
03-07-18, 08:09 AM
hwturn,

Q1. Neither TW or AW will read on the MFD. Is it possible the i60 isn't talking on the network, but is able to get power?
A1. Yes. If the MFD has been configured to display the Heading (not COG) data item within a Databox and it is properly displayed, then the operational state of of not only the MFD's SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications circuitry, but also that of your SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone would be verified. If so, then it would be recommended that the i60 Wind Instrument be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
03-29-18, 05:47 PM
True wind is now displaying correctly on my i60 ... at least I haven't been able to make it fail. At Chuck's suggestion I replaced my ST-STng converter that had been located under the pedestal with an STng 5-way connector, and extended the STng backbone to the NavPod where my i50 tridata, i60 wind, and ST4000+ autopilot live. I terminated the backbone in the NavPod on the ST-STng converter, ran STng spurs to the i50 and i60, and ST1 to the ST4000+ (only signal and field connected to the AP ... no power).

I tried for half a day to pull the backbone cable with the connector up the chase to the NavPod, but no luck. I wound up having to cut the cable and re-splice it about 1 ft from the end in the NavPod. While not the ideal situation, each connection was soldered and spliced, the shielding was preserved and re-wrapped as well as possible, and a large heatshrink installed over the whole bundle.

I've attached PDFs of the before and after schematics.
- Mick
03-30-18, 08:33 AM
Mick,

Thanks for the update.