Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DST / Forward sonar interfearence
10-21-17, 01:30 PM
DST / Forward sonar interfearence
Is there any way to turn off the DST 800 depth echos, as despite being assured the frequencies of the Forward sonar 200Hz and the DST800 at 235Hz would not conflict, the forward sonar goes into fits when I turn on the instruments which includes the DST800. At this point in time I can not run the Forward sonar and instruments at the same time.
Can I turn off the DST 800 depth pings via software or by installing a physical switch somehow near the ITC5?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-17, 03:16 PM
RE: DST / Forward sonar interfearence
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Cmonster,

The DST800 is produced in both analog 200kHz and Smart 235kHz versions. While the 235kHz transmissions of the Smart DST800 would be specified to not interfere with Raymarine fishfinding products (due to the frequency difference of the transducers used coupled with interference rejection filtering within the software of Raymarine fishfinding products offered over the last 15 years), no such recommendations would typically be made regarding any potential performance impacts to third party products. Smart DST800's produce fully processed depth data, communicate via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 rather then analog signal, and will interfaced a spur to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. In contrast, all depth transducers which are designed to be interfaced to the depth transducer terminals of an iTC-5, i40 Depth, i40 Bidata, i50 Depth, or i50 Tridata instrument must transmit at 200kHz. Should this version of the DST800 be installed onboard, then it may well explain the reported interference with the third party sonar product.

Should a Smart DST800 have been installed onboard, then switching the transducer's power lead (red) within its cable would be a plausible means of having a Smart DST800 cease pinging (speed and temperature data outputs would also cease). Should an analog DST800 have been installed and interfaced to the iTC-5, then you may want to consider switching its blue lead to control whether the analog DST800 transmits.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply