Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting SG2 Smartpilot to NMEA 2000 and New Network
10-23-17, 06:41 AM
Converting SG2 Smartpilot to NMEA 2000 and New Network
Recently updated and older all raymarine network (circa 2005)

I added 3 new Axiom 9s and Digital radar.

Everything seems to be networked and working as it should except the Autopilot.

I bought an Actisense Nmea gateway and wired it directly to the course computer in the NMEA 0183 terminals as instructed and then plugged into the N2K Spine. The MFD can see the Actisense in the N2K spine but MFD does not see the autopilot nor does the autpilot control head ST8002 seem to be tied into the network.

There are 2 terminal blocks on the wiring panel. One is the NMEA 0183 wires from the course computer and tied into that are 2 NMEA 0183 cables that connected to the older E80's. They are now not connected to anything

The other block has the seatalk wires from the course computer tied in w the ST8002 conrol head, RF Base, wireless smart controller, and the cables form those devices that plugged into the MFDs. Those cables too are not tied in to the network rt now.

Q1. On the NMEA side. Have I done this correctly? connecting rt to the course computer and then to the N2K spine?

Q2. What do I do w the seatalk side? Do these need to be converted to N2K also and plugged into the spine? How do I do this?

Thank you

Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-17, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-23-17 03:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Converting SG2 Smartpilot to NMEA 2000 and New Network
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Chris,

The method which you have described is not how we would have recommended that the legacy autopilot components featuring a SeaTalk communications interface should be interfaced to the new system of Axiom MFDs. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Should the MFD be interfaced to the autopilot in the manner which you have described, then the MFD will not detect the presence of the autopilot and it's transducer icon will indicate so. However, should the MFD be commanded into navigation mode (i.e. commanded to Go To a Waypoint / Cursor Position or to Follow a Route), then the associated navigational data should be transmitted to the autopilot via the Actisense NGW-1-ISO.
10-23-17, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-17 08:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for your reply
I am confused though. The actisnese is not supposed to be connected this way?
This is what raymarine tech support told me to do.

I worked out the seatalk side. wires were in the wrong order and all instruments are now functioning as they should

The Axiom still does not see the autopilot but it does see the heading sensor.

I spoke to Raymarine tech support and they said because the autopilot was an older unit, th eMFD will not see it but it can be controlled into following a waypoint via Tracking.

Does that sound rt?

Thanks
10-24-17, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-24-17 08:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
moonzy1,

Q1. I am confused though. The actisnese is not supposed to be connected this way?
This is what raymarine tech support told me to do.
A1. The technician was likely making the point that should it additionally be desired that the MFD receive 10Hz heading updates, that the S2G's NMEA 0183 OUT1 port alone may be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone via the Actisense NGW-1.

Q2. The Axiom still does not see the autopilot but it does see the heading sensor.
A2. The Autopilot Controls feature of MFDs running LightHouse 3 software requires that the MFD be interfaced to an Evolution Autopilot. This will be reflected within the MFD's transducer status, which will indicate No (compatible) Pilot detected. Should you desire to operate you autopilot in Auto mode, then you will need to command it into that mode via the autopilot control head. However, should the should the MFD be commanded into navigation mode (i.e. commanded to Go To a Waypoint / Cursor Position or to Follow a Route), then the associated navigational data should be transmitted to the autopilot via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The autopilot control head's buttons would then be used to command your legacy autopilot into Track mode.
10-24-17, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-17 02:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
"The technician was likely making the point that should it additionally be desired that the MFD receive 10Hz heading updates, " --

- When I asked the tech support person over the phone for advice, I only asked him "how do I connect the new Axioms to the older autopilot" . and "Will it operate as it should w the ew MFds" . no mention made of heading sensor updates specifically. He instructed me that the actisense gate would take care of that.

A2. The Autopilot Controls feature of MFDs running LightHouse 3 software requires that the MFD be interfaced to an Evolution Autopilot. This will be reflected within the MFD's transducer status, which will indicate No (compatible) Pilot detected. Should you desire to operate you autopilot in Auto mode, then you will need to command it into that mode via the autopilot control head. However, should the should the MFD be commanded into navigation mode (i.e. commanded to Go To a Waypoint / Cursor Position or to Follow a Route), then the associated navigational data should be transmitted to the autopilot via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The autopilot control head's buttons would then be used to command your legacy autopilot into Track mode.

While I have not tested it yet, once again, Raymarine tech support stated yesterday that the way I currently have this set up through the Actisense gate, the Autopilot and mfd should behave together just as you describe above except no mention of a seatalkng converter. It was mutually understood as his following comment was that the seatalk info would run back through the course computer and all info should be exchanged between the MFD and legacy pilot through the N2K backbone via Actisense gate.

Are you saying this is not accurate that the pilot can be commanded to track to waypoint w the current setup?
10-24-17, 02:01 PM
Q1. "The technician was likely making the point that should it additionally be desired that the MFD receive 10Hz heading updates, " --

- When I asked the tech support person over the phone for advice, I only asked him "how do I connect the new Axioms to the older autopilot" . and "Will it operate as it should w the ew MFds" . no mention made of heading sensor updates specifically. He instructed me that the actisense gate would take care of that.

A1. While it is indeed possible to interface a legacy autopilot via a NMEA 0183 to NMEA data bridging device, the method described within my prior response would be considered to be the method of choice for interfacing any legacy device which is supported by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. As NMEA 0183 does not support communications of proprietary data (ex. alarms, system state, etc.), the proprietary conversion method which I have already specified would typically be recommended for all product supported by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

A2. While I have not tested it yet, once again, Raymarine tech support stated yesterday that the way I currently have this set up through the Actisense gate, the Autopilot and mfd should behave together just as you describe above except no mention of a seatalkng converter. It was mutually understood as his following comment was that the seatalk info would run back through the course computer and all info should be exchanged between the MFD and legacy pilot through the N2K backbone via Actisense gate.

Are you saying this is not accurate that the pilot can be commanded to track to waypoint w the current setup?
A2: No. See the response to Q1. Should the autopilot course computer have been properly interfaced for bi-directional communications with a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device, then the MFD's transducer status will indicate No (compatible) Pilot detected. As with a compatible autopilot which had been interfaced via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, should you desire to operate your autopilot in Auto mode, then you will need to command it into that mode via the autopilot control head. As with a compatible autopilot which had been interfaced via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, should the MFD be commanded into navigation mode (i.e. commanded to Go To a Waypoint / Cursor Position or to Follow a Route), then the associated navigational data should be transmitted to the autopilot via the NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device. The autopilot control head's buttons would then be used to command your legacy autopilot into Track mode.
10-30-17, 08:30 AM
All tested and working
Autopilot can track to and follow waypoint selected by MFD.
10-30-17, 09:40 AM
You're welcome.