Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sailboat vs. Sailboat (Slow Turning)
10-31-17, 04:00 PM
Sailboat vs. Sailboat (Slow Turning)
I have the EV-1. It was installed prior to my acquiring my Catalina 34. I don't have the rudder sensor.

It was setup using "sailboat".

The issue I'm having is that I have two full turns of the wheel from lock to lock and the wheel pilot never uses more than about about 45 degree wheel rotation to port or starboard, even in situations when I'd temporarily need 180 degrees to do the job.

Would using "Sailboat (Slow Turning)" improve things?

I have done my best to estimate the hard over time and I've left the 30 degree maximum rudder.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-17, 08:16 AM
RE: Sailboat vs. Sailboat (Slow Turning)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum rmbrown,

Assuming that the Evolution autopilot components have been updated with the latest software, the using "Sailboat (Slow Turning)" setting would be then next step recommended to improve performance. Should this not address the issue, the it may be necessary to install a rudder reference transducer.
11-01-17, 12:20 PM
This is something that has never been clear to me. Does "Slow Turning" mean a boat that requires greater-than-average rudder input to achieve a desired result?

If so I may have configured mine incorrectly. I interpreted it to mean: "I want the AP to turn slowly, and thus be less aggressive with the rudder input."
11-01-17, 01:29 PM
Danderer,

Q1. Does "Slow Turning" mean a boat that requires greater-than-average rudder input to achieve a desired result?
A1. Yes.
11-01-17, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-17 09:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Is it really greater than average rudder input? Or greater than average wheel rotation to achieve the desired rudder input?

I see the virtual rudder position bar tell me angles, but it's not clear to me if that's what it thinks the rudder angle is, given the wheel position or something else.
11-02-17, 09:09 AM
rmbrown,

Q1. Is it really greater than average rudder input? Or greater than average wheel rotation to achieve the desired rudder input?
A2. The slow turning vessel setting addresses the relative amount of rudder which is required to turn the vessel. Number of turns required is taken into account by the corresponding setting which the operator has entered into the autopilot's settings.

Q2. I see the virtual rudder position bar tell me angles, but it's not clear to me if that's what it thinks the rudder angle is, given the wheel position or something else.
A2. It is indeed the amount of rudder which the autopilot has estimated to have been applied.
11-23-17, 09:57 PM
Does this variable (sailboat vs /sailboat slow turning) affect the time it takes to complete an autotack turn? In slow turning, commanding an Autotack for a 100deg turn seemed excessively slow compared to a hand-steered tack. Never thought to change that setting... The system includes Axiom 9, i60wind, p70s, ACU-100/MK II WP/rudder position sensor, and EV-1 on a hunter 36. It all works great. Thanks. Dan
11-28-17, 02:10 PM
Dan,

Indeed, you may want to try making the autopilot settings change to sailboat slow turning.
11-28-17, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-17 09:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck.
Dan
12-01-17, 09:55 AM
You're welcome.