Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] E120 data feed, move from Seatalk 1 to Seatalk ng
02-05-18, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-18 11:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] E120 data feed, move from Seatalk 1 to Seatalk ng
Lothar,

What version of software is presently installed within your SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter? Please additionally add a copy of a system diagram identifying all devices, how your equipment is presently interfaced, and the versions of software within the MFD and any device having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-18, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-18 11:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, sorry for the delay, I didn't see a 'page 2' on this thread. Attached is the system block diagram, simplified in some respects. If you need further clarifications, I can provide. A few comments:

- the NG and Seatalk 1 bus are now powered by a dedicated breaker and the S3G smartpilot is no longer enabled to power the ST1 bus

- if you check this thread, you'll see we discussed the version of s/w in the ST1-NG bridge. When I validated the version via the E120 master, it reported a version 2.3 and yet the latest report version on the Raymarine website is V2.03. Perhaps a reporting error by the E120 s/w??

- both plotters are V5.69

- prior to installing the NG bus, when it was simply an ST1 and NMEA 0183 config with the AIS feeding the slave plotter, the E120s could feed track data and report pilot status.

- I don't know the version of the itc-5, could that be relevant??

- I don't know the version of the DSM-300 s/w but I know it was updated as of the summer 2017 when I was working an intermittent ST-HS problem (which turned out to be a bad cable to the slave plotter)

Thanks in advance for the help.
02-22-18, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-18 03:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Lothar,

Per our conversation,
1) it will not be possible to use the E-Series Classic MFD v5.69 Autopilot Controls feature if the E-Series Classic MFD has been interfaced via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to an autopilot having a SeaTalk communications interface. Should the operator configure the Autopilot Controls setting to enabled, one will find that the Pilot transducer status icon will continue to be overlaid with a red X indicating that this feature will not be supported. However, it will be possible to command navigation (i.e. GoTo Waypoint/Cursor or Follow Route via the MFD) and then use the autopilot control head, S100, or SmartController to then command the autopilot into Track Mode. This is much the same procedure which would have been followed prior to the introduction of the Autopilot Controls feature.

2) should it be desired to use the Autopilot Controls feature, then it would be necessary to disconnect the autopilot course computer, autopilot control head, and wireless autopilot remote base station from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Instead, these devices would be connected to a SeaTalk bus which may be powered via the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port. This SeaTalk bus will also be interfaced to the data (yellow) and ground (black) leads of MFD's SeaTalk/Alarm Cable. As discussed, it would be recommended that the RS125 remain interfaced to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to supply the SeaTalkng backbone with GPS data should the SeaTalkng components of system be operated with the MFD and/or autopilot course computer powered OFF.

3) the latest version of ST-STng Converter software is v2.03. As you had indicated previously and as has been verified on my system, should the one attempt to upgrade or downgrade the software of a ST-STng Converter which presently has v2.03 software installed within its memory, then the E-Series Classic MFD's software update utility will erroneously indicate that the ST-STng Converter presently has v2.3 rather than 2.03 software installed within its memory.
02-23-18, 09:00 PM
Thanks Chuck for the excellent support and attention to detail. All the best, Lothar
02-26-18, 09:59 AM
You're welcome.