Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Splicing instrument wires
11-02-17, 08:58 AM
Splicing instrument wires
Hi I have a ST-800 speed /temp transducer plastic vintage 2004. It got damaged when my boat was hauled this fall. Can I buy a new transducer and interface it to my existing tridata display by cutting the old transducer cable say 4 ft from the transducer then splice this cut cable to my new transducer cable . (do not intend to cut new cable). Thinking on making the splice connection using a terminal block high up in the engine room. If this is possible are they any pointers you can offer. The splicing would save me a lot of time as opposed to routing the new transducer cable to the tridata display
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-17, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-17 01:42 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Splicing instrument wires
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum E.hatch2086,

With respect to speed/temp transducers, it splicing the cables of instrument speed/temp transducers would not be expected to cause any adverse performance impacts. Following installation of the new transducer, speed should be calibrated and reported water temperature adjusted to match the actual value. Rather than a terminal strip, I would typically recommend soldered splices with shrink tubing for such applications.
11-05-17, 11:02 AM
Thanks Chuck
11-06-17, 08:44 AM
You're welcome.