Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Input voltage
11-11-17, 02:41 PM
Input voltage
My ES127 screen will flicker and go dark with either a voltage rise (approx. 13.6) or drop (approx. 11.6).
Specs say 10.8 to 31.2
Greg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-17, 03:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-17 05:00 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Input voltage
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum Greg,

With respect to electrical requirements, please note that voltage level alone is not the sole determining factor for operation of the MFD. The power requirements (P=IV) of the MFD must additionally be satisfied. Upon receiving this report, we tested an eS127 MFD within our offices using a variable voltage power supply and found the eS127 MFD to operate normally when supplied with voltage within the range 9.8V to 32.2V. However, the reported symptom may be encountered under the following conditions and may become more readily observed if the MFD's sonar is pinging:
- loose, corroded, or poor electrical power connections ... inspect from the MFD's power cable to the distribution / breaker panel to the batteries. Check the ground patch from the MFD's power cable to the batteries
- the gauge of the wire used supply power or ground to the panel and/or MFD are of insufficient grade ... click here to view a web page addressing wire gauge.
- weak battery(s) ... have the batteries load tested
- the regulated power supply cannot supply sufficient current to satisfy the power requirements of the MFD
- the MFD has suffered a failure of its circuitry ... recommend sending the MFD to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
11-16-17, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-17 10:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks,
Traveling this week and will not be able to check these conditions until next week. Just thinking here in my hotel room, these make sense for undervoltage, but overvoltage? That condition exists when the charger goes into accept mode.
I have a modified sine Xantrex that causes noise on the VFH. Thinking I will replace that this winter with pure sine.
I load tested the batteries. (4) L16 golf cart batteries this summer.
Old trawler, any thing is possible
11-16-17, 10:42 AM
Greg,

It is certainly a possibility that the noise which the Xantrex inverter is producing may be responsible for the reported issue. In noisy electrical systems, it is sometimes necessary to protect the electronics circuits with power conditioning (ex. MasterVolt Magic DC-DC Converters, etc.). Should there be some doubt after addressing the items specified within my prior response, then you may want to consider having the MFD bench tested by Raymarine's Product Repair Center before investing in a power conditioner.
12-02-17, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-17 10:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I measured the AC on the DC bus with a few different conditions. Inverter off: .167 VAC no flicker
Inverter on, small load: .340 VAC occasional flicker
Inverter on, large load: .465 VAC screen dark

So I need to shunt this VAC to ground. Can you recommend a simple LC circuit?
12-02-17, 10:32 AM
Greg,

I would recommend seeking the assistance of an ABYC certified electrician to assist with modifications to your boat's electrical system to address the reported issue.