Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System Upgrade
11-11-17, 03:21 PM
System Upgrade
I am planning to install a Radome RD418HD, Ray70 (for AIS) and a RS150 GPS antenna in my hardtop, and a CP370 to upgrade my sonar as part of my plans to finally get my marine electronics where I want them to be.

Currently, I have a ES97 MFD and Autopilot (EV200) which I installed last year. I am proud of my installation of the autopilot as it works perfectly and the max deviation is 3 degrees. It’s not easy. I am a technical guy but find marine electronics to be a challenge at times. The support from this forum has been great. I find I spend more time planning than installing and my plans always evolve the more I think about how to accomplish my end goal. I don’t want to be in the position of saying “I should have” during the install.

My boat’s hardtop is wired for electronics. It has a separate switched power feed of 10 gauge wire dedicated for this purpose. There is one route between the hardtop and the MFD through the support pipe of the hardtop. Currently it has 6 wires running through it. My concern is being able to snake additional wiring through the pipe (with connectors) so I want to keep the size and number to a minimum for this install.

Here are my questions:

Can I use the power in the hardtop to feed both the Ray70 and RD418HD? I don’t see why not but figure I would ask anyway rather than regret that I didn’t.

The Radar cable has a RayNet cable and power lines. My plan is to cut the sheathing and split out the RayNet wire. Run the power line to the power feed in the hardtop and the RayNet cable down to the MFD. Is it OK to do this?

If for some reason I cannot get the cable through with the connector on it would it be feasible to cut the connector and splice a RJ45 connector on it and use an adapter to connect into the ES97?

The RS150 and Ray70 need a SeaTalk or NEMA 0183 connection. I have NEMA wires running between the hardtop and the MFD. I have thought of 2 options -

Option 1 -The easiest way is to connect the RAY70 to the MFD through the NEMA 0183 wires and connect the SeaTalk connection on the Ray70 to the RS150. However, I am not sure this will work. (Note on the RS150 - The manual says it comes with a 6M SeaTalk spur cable. The SeaTalk manual says ”the length of an individual spur must not exceed 5M”. My connection to the Ray70 via the NEMA 0183 will be between 5M and 6M, and then another 1M - 2M to the RS150 which will be mounted on a Seaview pole above the RD428HD)

Option 2 - Run a SeaTalk backbone up to the hardtop and connect both the RAY70 and the RS150 to the backbone up there. I can probably do this as the backbone cable connection is not that large.

Would the first option work and is there a benefit to doing it one way over the other, i.e. data speed, etc.? Which option do you prefer?

The ES97 has 2 RayNet connections on the back. I plan to use one for the RD418HD and one for the CP370. A lot of diagrams show a switch with only 2 connections so can you confirm that this will work?

I appreciate the support!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-17, 03:22 PM
RE: System Upgrade
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum DFMott,

Is your vessel fitted with an electronics box, which is in turn mounted to or part of the hard top? If so, is this electronics box presently housing the eS97 MFD ... or is the eS97 MFD mounted in the helm?
11-13-17, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-17 10:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The ES97 MFD is mounted in the helm. The electronics box is in the helm accessed from inside the cabin. Basically just a place were most wires and fuses and connections are made. The power to the hardtop is 14 gauge (I misspoke in my prior post)- run through a switch and a breaker.

Update 1: I scoped the pipe I need to run the cable through and there is no way I will be able to pull either the RJ45 or the Raynet connector through. Amazing devices these little cameras you can buy today. The pipe is open at the ends but restricted where the one pipe connects to another. I think I can get the SeaTalk backbone with the connector and the Raynet cable without the connector through. So my question is can I cut the Raynet cable and splice it. I would hope the color coding of the wires adheres to an ANSI standard. I feeling is that I should be able to crimp the cable same as any other ethernet cable by separating out the pairs and crimping an RJ45 in accordance with the standard on each end and then using a shielded RJ45 coupler. I can even shorten the cable by the 10feet I don't need. Will this work?

The breaker on the Electronics Master Feed to the hardtop is 20AMPS.

Update 2: Correcting my correction - the electronics master feed in the hardtop is 10 Gauge wire as I previously stated. One red (+) and one yellow (-). They are connected to a distribution block in the hardtop and have there own 20AMP breaker. There are 2 other 10 gauge wires that feed the lighting in the hardtop and another feed for the anchor light which is a much smaller gauge wire.
11-14-17, 11:57 AM
DFMott,

NOTE: Should cable chasing be difficult or present challenges, then it is recommended that a Certified Raymarine Installer be contacted ... at least to assist with the chasing of cables through the hardtop. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing providing more information on this subject.

Q1. Can I use the power in the hardtop to feed both the Ray70 and RD418HD? I don’t see why not but figure I would ask anyway rather than regret that I didn’t.
A1. The minimum gauge wire / cable for powering 4k radome and open array pedestals for cable runs up to 6m is 11 gauge. Given your most recent update stating that the gauge of the cables to be used is 10 gauge, this would seem sufficient to supply power to the radome and to the VHF radio. Whereas Raymarine has recommended that the radome alone be protected with a 20A fuse / breaker and that you are additionally intending to power the Ray70 from the same circuit, you may need to install a breaker having a higher rating should you find that the circuit's breaker is tripping when transmitting on the VHF radio when the radar is transmitting. If changing out the breaker to one having a higher amperage rating, then it would be recommended that the radome's circuit be protected with a 20A fuse.

Q2. The Radar cable has a RayNet cable and power lines. My plan is to cut the sheathing and split out the RayNet wire. Run the power line to the power feed in the hardtop and the RayNet cable down to the MFD. Is it OK to do this?
A2. It would be technically possible to do as you have suggested. Please additionally note that both the Ethernet cable and power leads within the Digital Radar Cable each feature shielding.

Q2. Option 1 vs Option 2. It is strongly recommended that option 2 be undertaken to reduce the number of cable's routed. The plug size of a spur plug and a backbone plug are identical, as are the diameters of spur and backbone cables. Accordingly, it would be recommended that a backbone cable be chased into the hardtop along with the Digital Radar Cable, where the backbone cable will be connected to a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector which in turn will be terminated at one end. The RS150's cable (may be replaced with a shorter length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable if desired) and the SeaTalkng Spur Cable which is connected to the Ray70 will then be connected to the aforementioned terminated SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.

Q3. So my question is can I cut the Raynet cable and splice it.
A3. Yes. Please the previously referenced FAQ and the FAQ found here addressing this subject.

Q4. I would hope the color coding of the wires adheres to an ANSI standard.
A4. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
11-15-17, 08:33 AM
From DFMOTT:

Aloha Chuck,

Thank you for the call and the extensive conversation today. I am happy to report that I went to the boat today and I was able to snake a blue backbone cable through the [censored] in the pipe without issue (I had a short length but it reached the trouble spot and went through.) So I am set with the wiring. Should have no issue getting both cables through and splicing them - I will use the E55060.

I found the switch on the EV200 to turn the power off (thank you - I would have not remember it was there). I will add a 5 amp breaker on the new power lead before connecting.

I called AIRMAR and order the mix and match cable for the CP370 (on it's way). Is the difference in connectors because one is 1000W and the other 600W?

Last question - I don't believe you answered - is it ok to have the CP370 go to one RAYNET connection and the radar unit to the other on the back of the ES97. It seems reasonable to me but there are lots of diagrams with a switch with only 2 Raynet connections.

I thought about it and decided to revert back to my original decision of using the Quantum. I think it is a better choice for me. I was only considering the Radome because of the advice posted on this forum. However, short range is more important than long range. We have many canoers here that are at times hard to spot and track, and the the other features (low power, fast start-up, light weight) are appealing. Not a lot of birds here either. All of the reviews I have read have said the performance is impressive.

Thanks again for your help!

Mahalo,

Don
11-15-17, 09:00 AM
Don,

Q1. I called AIRMAR and order the mix and match cable for the CP370 (on it's way). Is the difference in connectors because one is 1000W and the other 600W?
A1. Transducer model names B250, B744V, P66, etc. are actually transducer family names. Airmar produces variants of these transducers designed to match the circuitry requirements and plug style of the supported fishfinder manufacturers and their fishfinding products. In contrast, Airmar's mix and match transducers are a generic design which Airmar makes function like the aforementioned variants through use of a Mix and Match Cable. Should one own an Airmar branded transducer, then it is always recommended that Airmar, Inc. ((603) 673-9570) be contacted for advice when seeking to use the Airmar transducer which had been previously used with a third party fishfinding product instead with a Raymarine fishfinding product.

Q2. Is it ok to have the CP370 go to one RAYNET connection and the radar unit to the other on the back of the ES97. It seems reasonable to me but there are lots of diagrams with a switch with only 2 Raynet connections.
A2. For systems featuring more than one MFD, it is quite common to recommend that all compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface be interfaced to the system's MFDs via an Ethernet network switch (ex. HS5 RayNet Network Switch, etc.) for redundancy purposes and the ability switch off MFDs not needed while operating others. In systems having a single 9" or greater a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD or Axiom Pro MFD, it would not be necessary to install an Ethernet network switch unless more than two compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface need be interfaced to the MFD.
12-11-17, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-17 05:41 PM by DFMott.)
I just wanted to let you know I completed the system upgrade and everything is in and working perfectly. Splicing the ethernet cable for the radar unit with the crossover coupler was easy. I used shielded RJ45's. I think it's better to be wired over wireless. Getting the cables through the hardtop support was very easy. I ended up going with a 2 degree wedge for the radar mount (My top angles down slightly to begin with). I thought it looked like it was angled down too far but the level showed it to be right around zero at trolling speed so I was happy about that. I see a lot that are not angled at all and wonder if they are putting astetics over functionality. I still have a lot of settings to go through but the initial test was a complete sucess. The radar looks good, AIS showed the name of the cruise ship I passed, sonar saw 1400ft, GPS looks good and the basic engine data (Engine RPM) is showing.

Thanks for the support!!!
12-11-17, 02:48 PM
You're welcome.