Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AXIOM PRO 9 vs AXIOM 12
11-13-17, 12:46 PM
AXIOM PRO 9 vs AXIOM 12
I need to decide which AXIOM to install on the Cockpit.

AXIOM PRO 9:
I like the idea of the HybridTouch controls, specially if I am caught on the rain outside

AXIOM 12:
I like the big screen that I can read from any helm (my boat has dual helms and the MFD goes in the Cockpit table) and easier to see all the AIS boat + Radar on one screen.

1-What are you thoughts?
2-Is it possible to fully operate the touchscreen of the AXIOM on the rain?
3-What's the power consumption for my sailboat (no sonar).

Thanks,
JP
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-17, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-17 10:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: AXIOM PRO 9 vs AXIOM 12
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum JP,

Q1. What are you thoughts?
A1. Should only one MFD be installed onboard, then it is recommended that MFD's screen size be maximized, yet remain within the physical, cost, and aesthetic constraints which are specific to your installation. Should the equipment be operated under conditions which will be wet, then it is generally recommended that a MFD having a HybridTouch user interface (i.e. an Axiom Pro MFD) be installed. Alternatively, an Axiom MFD and a RMK-10 Remote Keypad may be installed to essentially have the Axiom MFD function as a MFD with a HybridTouch user interface. Utilizing either of the two options specified will permit the Axiom or Axiom Pro MFD's touchscreen to be disabled under wet conditions, leaving the MFD's buttons or RMK-10 to control the MFD. As fishfinding capabilities are not a problem, I would recommend considering an Axiom 9 MFD or an Axiom 12 MFD and a RMK-10 Remote Keypad. As these Axiom MFDs do not feature internal sonar, they represent a cost savings over Axiom Pro MFDs of the same screen dimensions.

Q2. Is it possible to fully operate the touchscreen of the AXIOM on the rain?
A2. See the response to Q1.

Q3. What's the power consumption for my sailboat (no sonar).
A3. Per the Axiom 9 Specifications and Axiom 12 Specification tabs of the Raymarine’s web site, the Axiom 9 has a power consumption rating of 8.95 Watts (embedded fishfinder circuitry (if any) not pinging) and the Axiom 12 has a power consumption rating of 15.48 Watts (embedded fishfinder circuitry (if any) not pinging).
11-14-17, 01:03 AM
Thanks for your answer.
My question was comparing to the Axiom PRO 9.

Your website has the AXIOM PRO 9 power consumption as: ~20W vs 15.48 Watts for the AXIOM 12. Why? A much bigger screen and still less power consumption?
11-14-17, 10:16 AM
jpmejia,

The specification listed Axiom Pro MFD Specifications tabs of the Raymarine’s web site is representative of an Axiom Pro MFD having embedded fishfinder circuitry which is pinging ... and hence consuming greater power than when the MFD's embedded fishfinder circuitry is not pinging. Raymarine has not listed the power consumption data for Axiom Pro MFDs in which the embedded fishfinder circuitry is not pinging. For comparison purposes, the specification listed within Axiom 9 Specifications tab of the Raymarine’s web site specifies 11.98W for an Axiom 9 having embedded fishfinder circuitry which is pinging.