Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] ST6001 Calibration Issues
11-29-17, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-19 07:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] ST6001 Calibration Issues
I've checked the fluxgate compass several times and have ruled it out as the problem. Running with the gyro connected and disconnected doesn't produce a different result. I've run the circles very slow for 15-20 minutes and no change. By speeding up or running in a straight line, I'm simply trying to get the controller to give me a message other than turn boat. Unless I'm missing something, the problem has to be in the computer. I did call Raymarine support and they said i could replace with a T70156 since I have a type 1 drive unit, but I'm not ready to shell out $2K after buying an Axiom 9 last week.

If I can find a used computer, I'll go that route first but am having trouble finding the E12152 model I have now. What other models of course computers are compatible with the ST6001 control head?

Trent
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-17, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-19 07:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Trent,

Given the testing and results specified, the problem indeed appears to be rooted within the autopilot's course computer. The ST6001 is compatible with a number of retired autopilot course computers. However, the model of course computer is based upon the model of autopilot drive unit which is installed onboard the vessel. If supplied with this information or with the autopilot drive unit's part number, then we may be able to identify which retired autopilot course computers may be mated to it?
12-01-17, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-19 07:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
It's a Type 1 drive unit. I talked with Georges Electronics in Pensacola yesterday and will be taking it over there next week. One thing that Jerry told me was he thought the directions for the Seatrial Calibration may be missing a step, he'd run into this in the past. Something about having to hit another button after getting the "Turn Boat" message.

Trent
12-01-17, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-19 07:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Trent,

No additional buttons need be pressed after "Turn Boat" is displayed. However, should the fluxgate compass be binding, it would not be detected within the resistance testing portion of the Fluxgate Compass Test FAQ ... hence the reason for additionally monitoring the displayed compass heading when executing a slow turn to ensure that no large heading changes (jumps) are observed. The latter will also cause the autopilot to be sense too great a rate of turn and/or incomplete turn and prevent the calibration from being completed.
05-24-19, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-19 07:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Having similar problems with a ST6001 autopilot. Smartpilot # is E12120
Just acquired a 2005 Four Winns 348 with a C80
I did a factor reset and updated the software to the lastest version
Changed the battery in the GPS 125, it was completely dead.
While doing the sea trial my variance showed 15, then 24, then 29 which is to high
While running in circles the cog and the heading seam to change normally as the boat turns however they are usually different.
I have checked the ohms on the flux gate, the 4 ohm ones are 5 ohms, the 8 ohm ones are at 8.
checked all connections on everything, all good
verified no metal around the flux gate compass, looks like it has been changed already, found the old wiring going to the old flux gate but can't find it in the boat but is disconnected.
The heading sometimes is the same as cog but most of time it isn't close.
The icon for the boat is pointing one way but the boat is actually moving another.
Sometimes the screen is upside down because the heading is opposite of the way the boat is headed.
If i turn off the power to the auto pilot the C80 appears to work correctly.
However then the radar overlay does not work.
I am thinking the course computer is the problem, do you agree?
Is there a test for the course computer?
Since none of the old works with the new what would I need to upgrade?
I have checked with a couple of the local Ray Marine dealers with no success.
05-24-19, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-19 08:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jon,

As indicated within the fluxgate compass test FAQ should the measured resistances be within +/-2 ohms of the specified value then the measured values would be in spec. Also indicated within the fluxgate compass test FAQ, was an indication that binding within the fluxgate compass's moving parts could be responsible for the reported issue. In this case, it would be recommended that the S1G autopilot course computer's gyro cable be unplugged from the circuit board (see the earlier post within this thread) and that the autopilot's compass be re-calibrated and aligned. Should the problem persist, then it would be recommended that the fluxgate compass be replaced to address the reported issue. Should the problem appear to abate, then it would be recommended that the gyro be plugged back in and that the system be tested again. Should the problem persist, then the autopilot's rate gyro would be deemed to have suffered a failure and should be unplugged to permit the autopilot to function as a S1 (non-gyro assisted) rather than a S1G autopilot. This will also reduce the heading data output rate from 5Hz to 1Hz. With regard to location of the fluxgate compass, it mounting location should yield a maximum deviation value which is less than 10 degrees. Should the reported maximum deviation value exceed 10 degrees, then another location may need to be sought for the fluxgate compass. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should none of the above address the reported issue, then it would indeed appear that the S1G has suffered a failure. Unfortunately, Raymarine's Product Repair Center can no longer service S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G autopilot course computers, necessitating that an operational second hand S1/S1G autopilot course computer be sought or that the autopilot (minus the drive unit) be replaced.

Radar overlay performance is dependent upon accurate stabilized high rate (5Hz or greater) heading data.

Finally with regard to the compatibility of equipment of that which you have specified with Raymarine's currently manufactured products, only the radar transducer and DSM250 (not specified) would not be compatible with Raymarine's latest generation of MFDs. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
01-26-20, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-20 08:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, after much checking I am pretty sure the course computer is bad. sitting static tied to the dock the heading will just start dropping from a high of say 344 and then starts dropping 1 to 2 degrees at a time until the boat icon is 150 degrees pointing the wrong way. My model # is E12120. Has a hydraulic steering. The head unit is a ST6001. Can I use a different computer # that will work with my system. Found an E12021, E12022. or are there any other numbers that will work?

More info to add,
No DSM
NO gyro
Should I add a gyro?
Would the system work better with a gyro?
If so what part # for the gyro would work best?
Jon
01-27-20, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-27-20 09:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jon,

E12120 is the part number for Raymarine's legacy SmartPilot S1 S1G System Packs. The SmartPilot course (S1G, S2G, and S3G) all featured a gyro affixed to the course computer's processor board ... this is not an external component. Gyro assisted variants of the Type 150, Type 400, S1, S2, and S3 autopilots were introduced as for those seeking maximum autopilot performance. As indicated within another thread in which I had addressed this subject, the gyro's cable may simply be unplugged from the autopilot course computer's circuit board. This action will effectively permit the autopilot to perform as a non-gyro assisted autopilot (i.e. S1, S2, or S3). As indicated within my earlier response parts (including replacement gyros) and service are no longer available for these autopilot course computers.

Should the autopilot's gyro have failed and should you be seeking an equivalent Evolution autopilot core pack (EV-1, Actuator Control Unit, p70RS or P70S autopilot control head, and Evolution cabling pack) replacement, then it would be necessary to have you identify the model of autopilot steering actuator which is presently installed onboard. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit may be used to interface the SeaTalk bus to which the C80 MFD has been interfaced to the Evolution autopilot.