Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting a Axiom Pro 12 S in place of a RC530
11-16-17, 11:42 AM
Connecting a Axiom Pro 12 S in place of a RC530
I recently purchased an Axiom Pro 12 S to replace my sailboat's RC530 chart plotter as well as a Quantum Radar to replace a 15 year old analog Raymarine Radome.

I need help to make a connection between the in place the older cable that carries power and the NMEA 0183 wires to the Navpod at the binnacle.

The new cable for NMEA 0183, Video, Power has: Red, Black, and female BNC connectors that I know what to do with. It also has White, Yellow, Brown, Green, Orange with gray stripe, and Orange with white stripe. I understand that those are for the NMEA 0183.

The older cable has Red and black that I know go to + and - battery and also Yellow, Green, Blue, Orange, and a bare (uncoated) wire.

Please tell me what connections should I make between the wires in the old cable and the new cable in order to have the NMEA 0183 functional.

The other equipment that the system has is a ST6001+ autopilot, ST60 tridata, ST60 speed, and a remote for the autopilot. I plan to soon add a Raymarine AIS transponder.

Thanks!

Jeff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-17, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-17 02:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Connecting a Axiom Pro 12 S in place of a RC530
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jeff,

The Power/NMEA 0183 Input Cable for the hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar, Chartplotter, and Fishfinder Displays feature a pair of power leads, a drain lead, and two pairs of NMEA 0183 input leads. The color and signal for each of the NMEA 0183 leads was printed on an orange label which was affixed to the display's Power/NMEA 0183 Input Cable and within the display's Owner's Manual (excerpt shown below):

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1394]

In contrast the Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable used by the Axiom Pro MFDs, and a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs having screen sizes 9" and larger features power leads, a drain lead, two pairs of NMEA 0183 input leads, one pair of NMEA 0183 output leads, and and a coaxial lead for receiving video from an NTSC / PAL video source. The color and signal for each of the NMEA 0183 leads documented within the respective MFD's Installation Instructions (excerpt the Axiom Pro MFD Installation Guide shown below):

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1395]

With regard to splicing the NMEA 0183 input leads of the Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable to the NMEA 0183 input leads Pathfinder Series Display's Power / NMEA 0183, one need simply refer to the diagrams above and match leads carrying the same signal. Example:
- MFD NMEA 0183 Input1+ to Pathfinder NMEA Input1+
- MFD NMEA 0183 Input1- to Pathfinder NMEA Input1-
- MFD NMEA 0183 Input2+ to Pathfinder NMEA Input2+
- MFD NMEA 0183 Input2- to Pathfinder NMEA Input2-

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Clipboard02.jpg (Size: 41.64 KB / Downloads: 14602)
.jpg  Clipboard04.jpg (Size: 51.94 KB / Downloads: 5945)
11-17-17, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-17 08:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Wink RE: Connecting a Axiom Pro 12 S in place of a RC530
Thanks so much, Chuck! You've made my day!

That was all very clear and helpful.

Would you please give me guidance that might help me to find an online version of the manual for the Pathfinder RC530. I've tried to locate one on Raymarine.com site in the Manuals and Documents section under legacy products. Unfortunately, despite opening many of the folders in the Navigation/GPS section, I have not found a folder that appears to lead to a downloadable manual for the RC530.

Thanks again.

Jeff
11-17-17, 08:54 AM
RE: Connecting a Axiom Pro 12 S in place of a RC530
Jeff,

Product documentation for legacy / retired Raymarine products may be found here. More specifically, the manual for the hsb2 Pathfinder Plus Series Color and Mono LCD Displays may be found here.