Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
axiom 9 and cameras..
11-27-17, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-17 07:50 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
axiom 9 and cameras..
Good day. I just purchased an Axiom 9 with the 3d transducer.

I have 6 cameras ( analog/BNC out) that I need to convert from BNC to the cable end ( NMEA2000/Seatalk) for the hs5. I see the adapter in a pic with the raymarine 50 and 100 cameras. where can I find these?

thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-17, 07:46 PM
RE: axiom 9 and cameras..
This thread has been assigned to a member of the Raymarine staff.

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
11-28-17, 08:27 PM
RE: axiom 9 and cameras..
Good day bellisimo,

I'm sorry to say that it's not as simple as adapting a cable. The analogue (Composite) video signal cannot be directly connected to any digital network: attempting to do so would bring down the digital network and prevent all communication, and potentially damaging devices. There's some information on what a Composite video signal looks like at Wikipedia., for example.

Your options are to:
1. Replace the analogue cameras with CAM210 or CAM220 models

2. Use Axiom Pro instead of Axiom, since Axiom Pro has an analogue video input whereas Axiom only accepts digital, IP video. Each Axiom Pro can take one analogue (composite) video source.

3. If neither of the above options is possible, the last alternative is to use a third-party analogue to IP encoder. We've seen devices such as the Axis Communications M7011 work well in our Thermal Camera systems. They convert the composite analogue video to a compatible IP stream. Three things to be aware of: 1) these are non-marine devices which we cannot offer any support for, 2) don't attempt to do any setup on the encoder because that will automatically enable User Authentication, which is incompatible with our MFDs, and 3) don't be tempted to use multi-port encoders, as there's no way on the MFD to select which video stream you want to look at from a single source.

Finally, I should note that what you connect to an HS5 switch is Raynet, AKA SeatalkHS. It's very different from NMEA2000, AKA SeatalkNG. Raynet can carry IP digital video, but there's no way to get video signals over NMEA2000 at all.

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.